Kai Episode 108 (08 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 108 (08 June 2014)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm

I take it there won't be a new episode next week due to the golf event going on?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I take it there won't be a new episode next week due to the golf event going on?
On June 15th? Yeah, there's a new episode scheduled.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, I've got the BGM documentation for this episode up now on my site. Only one new cue this week... I was wondering when the output of new music was going to slow down. (Of course, I say that now, but just watch how next week will probably be loaded with new cues.)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 pm

RocktheDragon wrote: I always thought that it was such a dropped ball focusing on just the Saiyans. I know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were/are probably the most popular characters but that still doesn't make Piccolo's non-involvement set right with me.
I think at this time of the writing, it was to give additionnal incentive for Goku, Gohan and Vegeta to rush in without hesitation, cause they obeyed Kaio Shin so far when he said "don't act now, follow my lead in due time". They needed something to make them say "okay, that's it, screw your plan, let's rush inside!"

They all care for each other and to save both Krilin and Piccolo, but in more specific relationships and additionnal incentives:

- Son Gohan will feel motivated to fight to save his martial arts master Piccolo.
- Son Goku will feel motivated to fight to save his best friend Krilin.
- Vegeta will follow Goku anywhere as long as they don't have their promised fight, and will joyfully take any occasion to kick some additionnal ass along the way.

Krilin and Piccolo do touch directly Goku and Gohan's hearts, so the latter are the first to happily rush in to help them as soon as Kaio Shin says that defeating Dabra should save them, with an amused Vegeta following shortly after.
Otherwise, there's a good chance they would have kept listening to Kaio Shin's subtle and quite approach.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Hujio wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I take it there won't be a new episode next week due to the golf event going on?
On June 15th? Yeah, there's a new episode scheduled.
I thought there won't be any new episodes for next week due to the golf thing going on. I notice other shows on next Sunday are not getting new episodes because of Golf as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I thought there won't be any new episodes for next week due to the golf thing going on. I notice other shows on next Sunday are not getting new episodes because of Golf as well.
I'm 100% sure there will be an episode of Kai next Sunday, especially since Fuji TV's schedule lists it on their schedule. The final round of the "Suntory Ladies Open" golf event airs from 4:00 PM to 5:25 PM next Sunday, so it doesn't really affect the morning block of anime. I couldn't really tell you what other anime series are being affected, but I can tell you it won't be affecting Kai or One Piece.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Really liked this episode, as well as the music and its placement but Babidi's new voice and some of the cropping just weren't all that pleasant. Yeah Babidi's voice is fine but compared to his original it's just nowhere near as memorable or as good.

Here's an example of the bad cropping in my opinion:
I'd have taken cropping Babidi's mouth over losing Dabura's right eye.

I'm definitely happy to see that Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo arc is improving episode per episode and that the picture quality is either getting better too or it has been redrawn? I'll leave the screenshot below.

Can't wait for Majin Boo to finally show up! :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:25 am

A detail that strikes me is that they take a long time before changing the eyecatch...
At this rate, we'll keep seeing Videl and Mr. Satan on one side and the Tenkaichi Budokai group on the other side until the major threat comes up.

Yet now they could easily show Kaio Shin, Babidi and Dabra in the eyecatch, as well as the remaining Saiyans on the mission.
They are the main plot now, they should be in part of the eyecatch rather than Videl and Mr. Satan...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:30 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: Here's an example of the bad cropping in my opinion:
<snip>
I'd have taken cropping Babidi's mouth over losing Dabura's right eye.
Don't both characters talk in this scene? I think losing Dabra's eye would be far more distracting. It's a tough one that shows the inherent flaws of trying to crop a scene composed for 4:3.
dbboxkaifan wrote:the picture quality is either getting better too or it has been redrawn? I'll leave the screenshot below.

<snip>
No redraws so far but yeah, I don't think it's really improved but rather that we're reaching a point in the series that's more important and therefore the higher budget animation teams are being thrown in the mix. If good art destracts from the remaster then woo, let's see more! :D
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.