Is DBZ Movie 11 (w/ Bio-Broli) the worst DBZ movie ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Is DBZ Movie 11 (w/ Bio-Broli) the worst DBZ movie ever?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:55 pm

The funny moments with Mr. Satan were the only things that I liked about the movie. Both Movie 10 and 11 should have been original movies. Broli should have stay dead after Movie 8 in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 pm

I liked it better than movies 7 and 10, as well as the EOB special.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Babbu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Babbu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:20 am

I think the second Broli movie is way worse than this one

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:25 am

Funny enough, movie 11 seems to be one of the better animated movies. I've dissected it like just like I did every Dragon Ball movie, looked at individual frames of animation in action scenes and there's really no off-model shots.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:37 am

Is movie 11 the "worst?"

No, it's not.

It's absolutely not.

Nope. Nuh-uh.

It's awesome. I have always been and will always be baffled to hear people say otherwise.
Last edited by MagicBox on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:45 am

I really enjoyed all the Broli movies and Bio Broli was my favorite among the three. Maybe it's my love of sci-fi, but something about that movie really clicked for me. I know the concept was silly, plot was dumb, but I liked it! I thought it was a lot of fun to watch and it's better than most DBZ films if I had to be honest.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 am

Is it the worst DBZ movie? Probably. I do have personal experience to suggest that it's the least appealing of the 13 movies.

The message the movie is trying to create, I think, is that Trunks and Goten are a great team, and that neither one of them could have gotten so strong if it weren't for each other. Just how movie 13's credits show how Trunks got his blade, I love how this one shows Goten and Trunks together. That is its best quality imo.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:56 am

In my opinion, it's hard to say that 'Bio-Broli' is the worst Dragonball Z movie - but it's certainly at home in a collection of, frankly, pretty poor showings.

The ratio of 'good' to 'bad' Dragonball Z theatrical features really isn't favourable. There's perhaps only 4 films out of the original 13 that are worth the celluloid they're drawn on, and even the best of them only stand in a positive light relative to the dross that they're surrounded with.

1 and 13 make my cut, with 3 and 12 straggling on the fringes.

2, 8 and 9 are watchable, but so is Sharknado if I'm shitfaced enough - so that's hardly a ringing endorsement as far as I'm concerned.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:01 am

Sharknado is awesome. It had my boy Steve Sanders 90210 in it, I actually met him back in the day.

Oh wait Dragon Ball? My least favourite is probably Movie 3. My memory could be fuzzy, but I remember that Goku was worrying about Oozaru Gohan for the longest time, then just randomly cut off the tail with the Kienzen and the main battle started. Pointless.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:11 am

It's the first DBZ movie I ever saw, and the first bit of the anime I ever saw in Japanese (on a raw bootleg VHS one of my friends found in my hometown's somewhat pathetic excuse for a China Town), so it'll always have a place in my heart. Nostalgia aside, I'm going to put my money down and say that it's way better than DBZ movie 10 at least. And movie 7. Seriously, how'd this movie get stuck with the "Worst. DBZ. Movie. Ever" reputation and not 7? I think the main problem with the movie is that Broli feels really shoe-horned into the whole thing. They bother to bring him back yet again, and then immediately turn him into a completely different character. I guess they were trying to do something original with him, but I think the movie might have been better off with an original bio-warrior/slime monster villain rather than Broli.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:07 am

It wasn't the worst, the worst movies are Movie 3 and Movie 10 to me.

- Movie 3 looks dull and is boring, despite a good initial concept. Long, lasting, boring, grey moments all over.
- Movie 10 is just the kids playing around with Broly with no big characters involved (pre-Tenkaichi Budokai Gohan is not impressive). It completely crushes the original "could one-shot you if you are not serious and careful for even just one second" concept of Broly in a playful battle that has nothing exceptionnal.

- Movie 11, paradoxically (because it turns Broly to a big pile of mud), respects the original character of Broly more. He is the dangerous one-shot creature that instantly make Goten and Trunks stop kidding around at the very second they recognize him and go full power right this second. The plot with the lab being locked and the substance killing every scientist is very "Resident Evil-like" (sadistic elevator scene), the cute morale of how intelligence prevail on power is kid-friendly but sort of fits Goten and Trunks' ages, and we get to see C-18 in action for once... And the animation is very fluid, with an unusually high framerate at times.

So it's by no means one of the great/best movies, it's not one you want to specifically go and watch again, but it's not among the most unpleasant to watch either. It's just the movie you watch among the rest when you've decided to watch all the movies again, knowing it's not one of the greatest, but not sighing when pushing the "play" button like you might do with Movie 3 and Movie 10. Or that's how I feel, anyway.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:05 am

Cold Skin wrote:Movie 3 looks dull and is boring, despite a good initial concept. Long, lasting, boring, grey moments all over.
I actually love movie 3 for its atmosphere. I usually find constant brown scenery to be boring, but I think it's one of the few things that pulls it off very well, and manages to have some interesting scenery and visuals. I like the moments where it's completely silent and it shows us various shots of the dying Earth. It's kind of mesmerizing. Not only that, but I really enjoy its soundtrack as well.

Of course, I'm not saying I'd like the entire series to be that, but I think for a one off movie it works pretty well.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:50 am

I'll never understand the hate for Movie 10.

Broly's screen presence, gorgeous, detailed, fluid animation & iconic Finale. More than makes-up for its tedious 30 minutes.

Gotta agree with Movie 3 though. Boring would be an understatement. Still better than abomination which was Movie 7. The animation looks horrid compared to Movie 5 & 6. Maybe Maeda went berserk cuz Movie 8 was Tadayoshi's...

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:10 am

I'd like to say that from my view even if i were to categorize Bio-Broli as the least favored "worst"-movie, that would still mean i like it. No doubt i can say i like all of the Dragon Ball films and if i were to say one is the "worst" it would only mean it's my least favorite, it would not mean that i dislike it. However that's just my perspective.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:26 pm

I think Movie 10 was far worse (Not big fan of Goten&Trunks, plus, they make Broly like brain damaged) the only thing i didn`t liked in Bio Broly, was that human villains survived, while poor dogs got killed :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Movie 11 is actually a boring movie, but the the worst. In my opinion the worst movie was Movie 6: Return of Cooler. The idea was completely lame, and even a copy of Metal Freeza...

My worst movies:

1. Return of Cooler
2. Super Android 13
3. Bio-Broly
4. Bojack unbound
5. Plan to Eradicate Super Saiyans(2010)

My Best movies/Specials/OVAs:

1. Bardock, Father of Goku
2. Cooler's Revenge
3. Fusion Reborn
4. Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan
5. Battle of Gods
Last edited by Low Tone G on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Worst for me was certainly Movie 7. I *like* Bio-Broly for Goten and Trunks reactions to Broly in general. Also, is good to see 18 doing something. xD A nice break from Gohan and Goku.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Vijay wrote:I'll never understand the hate for Movie 10.
Maybe because the movie was nothing special. The idea of a bad guy still being alive after being nearly killed has been done more then once already. Broli himself goes around screaming the same words over and over again. At least Broli in Movie 8 was a better character (Not saying a whole lot).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Maybe because the movie was nothing special. The idea of a bad guy still being alive after being nearly killed has been done more then once already. Broli himself goes around screaming the same words over and over again. At least Broli in Movie 8 was a better character (Not saying a whole lot).
Not trying to start anything here. Just expressing my views.

I'll say Broly's scream, done by Bin Shimada is simply overwhelming. Considering DBZ is action anime, battle cries & screams are usual stuff. Never had problem with that.

The same "Kakarotto" shouting defines his character IMO. Guys like Broly, Janemba, Hirudergarn, Kid Buu are single dimensional foes that enjoy death & destruction to infinity. Which is badass. Especially when you compare them to so-called deep, thought-provoking villains that dwell on random philosophies about Gods, humans, cycle of life kinda same stuff.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Broli himself goes around screaming the same words over and over again. At least Broli in Movie 8 was a better character (Not saying a whole lot).
Considering his sanity is fully gone what do you expect
I mean in movie 8 he was VERY sadistic but could talk fluently I don't think nearly dying and being put into a coma for 7 years is gonna help his already broken state of mind (pretty much when he woke up his sanity was Fully GONE and as stated in the movie description, only the broken body of goku will quench his thirst for revenge) I don't think when you're a psychopath with the genes of an already ruthless race along with being stabbed thrown out like garbage and having to live in pain and fear for so long won't do anything good either not a good combination