Which Dragon Ball US manga are almost uncut?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Which Dragon Ball US manga are almost uncut?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 am

These?

Or these?
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which Dragon Ball US manga is almost uncut?

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 am

Cant exactly say as I've never read those versions, but the Full Colors are relatively untouched aside from Popo's lips.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:02 am

I don't think those bottom ones are US/Viz releases...?

At any rate, different print runs have different edits made to them. You're best bets for the least amount of censorship are the VizBigs and the Full Color comics.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:27 am

B wrote:I don't think those bottom ones are US/Viz releases...?
Those are the old-school Viz graphic novels. Only the first 10 DB and DBZ volumes were put out like that before they switched to the smaller Shonen Jump GN format.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:28 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Cant exactly say as I've never read those versions, but the Full Colors are relatively untouched aside from Popo's lips.
He's asking for Dragon Ball near-uncut mangas not its sequel which starts with the Saiyan arc.

I'd be interested to know this too as I sometimes see them pop up on eBay but am sceptical whether to purchase them or not.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Which Dragon Ball US manga are almost uncut?

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 am

I'm pretty sure the red Shonen Jump ones have had several print runs, some censored and some uncensored with no way to tell until you actually read it?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure the first print run of the SJ line graphic novels (the red ones) were uncut for the classic Dragon Ball material...A good way to tell is to look for the old school Viz logo on the side. If it says Viz Media, it means you've hit the censorship period.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:01 am

Mewzard wrote:I'm pretty sure the first print run of the SJ line graphic novels (the red ones) were uncut for the classic Dragon Ball material...A good way to tell is to look for the old school Viz logo on the side. If it says Viz Media, it means you've hit the censorship period.
I didn't know that! Whats exactly edited on the "Unedited" one?

Just found a good reference :)

Also, you might be able to tell from the back (missing bar-code on the more edited one)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Mewzard wrote:I'm pretty sure the first print run of the SJ line graphic novels (the red ones) were uncut for the classic Dragon Ball material...A good way to tell is to look for the old school Viz logo on the side. If it says Viz Media, it means you've hit the censorship period.
Well that's generally a good way to look at it. But by like 2010 Viz started running prints that were pretty much uncensored (at least for the first sixteen volumes). I have a volume 1 from as late as 2011 and it's all uncut.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:42 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Well that's generally a good way to look at it. But by like 2010 Viz started running prints that were pretty much uncensored (at least for the first sixteen volumes). I have a volume 1 from as late as 2011 and it's all uncut.
So it's a good chance the box set is uncut?

Also, what about these? I'd assume the 13+ is uncut while the other is not?

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Also, what about these? I'd assume the 13+ is uncut while the other is not?
Yes, the left one is uncut. The one on the right is a censored edition with edits more severe than the later red-bound SJ ones.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Got my copy from Amazon and the newer printing of the white Viz box singles are uncut.

I'm gonna get Vol. 1 and 3 so I don't have to worry about a reprint of the 3-in-1