Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Episode #0364 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
57:40; 96 kbps, mono; 39.8 MB

Episode #0364! "Battle of Gods" has officially hit North American shores with an exclusive debut in California one month ahead of its nationwide release. FUNimation voice actors and directors Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, and Justin Cook join us for an exclusive interview about the movie, its themes, casting choices, and more. Josh joins us to talk about the "red carpet" event and debut of the film before we wrap things up by setting the stage for next month's larger theatrical release.

Referenced sites:
Enjoy! :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Awesome! I'm going to listen to it in a few minutes.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Very rare that I comment before the end of the cast but the interview section just wrapped up and that was really fantastic. Honestly, what a great bunch of questions! Really great organic conversation going on, I'd love to hear more interviews in the future.

Once again, Sabat proving he really understands and cares about the series. Really nice hearing him say "I don't know what people were expecting" regarding the negative comments about the film.

I think the only thing that knocked me a bit was Sabat talking about how they didn't have time to finely comb over every line. Hopefully it's fine.

Definitely itching to see how they've handled this dub. C'mon UK release!

EDIT:

Wrapped up the podcast now. Damn, "Beerus the Destroyer" instead of The God of Destruction. *twitch* Yeah, I don't know how I feel about that at all. Doesn't that kinda ruin the whole running theme of gods for the film? Shame.

Great coverage from Josh and Ryan, huge thanks to you two! This has been great to follow.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:11 pm

My thoughts echo what Ajay said. Hm, wasn't "the destroyer" what the Latino dub went with? Makes it inconsistent with BoZ at least.

Even though you're Japanese version fans, first and foremost. I'd like to see Sabat and Co. make more guest appearances in the future (if it could ever be worked out).
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:16 pm

Mike and Heath,

I know the U.S. cast is not y'all's cup o'tea, but you did this coverage anyways, thank you. Thank you for all your time and effort providing full and complete coverage even over areas that are not your personal favorite. I have a new found level of respect and appreciation for you and your website. Wow just wow. So glad I found Kanzenshuu :D
AjayLikesGaming wrote:
I think the only thing that knocked me a bit was Sabat talking about how they didn't have time to finely comb over every line. Hopefully it's fine.
I'm the exact opposite :D ! I'm soooo very excited they didn't have time to over analyze every line. Whenever I hear Sean Schemmel do an off the cuff "US Goku voice" it sounds so much more like what I think of as an "American Goku" than when I hear him do his Kai performances. When it's less analyzed he has that light hearted spaziness and child like quality that to me embodies Goku rather than being deep voiced (or at least more so than his Z performances) and serious.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I never thought I'd see the day that some of the main FUNi cast/crew would be on a Kanzenshuu podcast...that's...I...what?! :shock:

...Considering I just got done listening to episode 363, and the topic of 90's Mike came up, I wonder what he'd think of this shocking turn of events. :P

Seriously though, haven't even listened to this podcast yet, and not sure when I'll get to it - with any luck, tomorrow sometime - but major kudos to you guys for working this out even though the dub's not your preferred format, and to FUNi for knowing one of the best places to promote the film's release. Can't wait to hear this/see the movie!

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 pm

That was a great episode. I usually don't listen to the podcast because a lot of it is just recapping recent news. However, this one was really cool. Like I said on Twitter, it's the next step for Kanzenshuu to be more apparent to FUNimation. It is definitely surreal to hear Mike and Chris Sabat talk to each other in an interviewing manner. Hopefully I get the chance to watch the movie in theaters!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:58 pm

The improve crowd at the party scenes that you'd have to pay attention to pick up on sound fun. :3
*Is a fan of easter-egg-type stuff like that.

So surreal hearing you guys interviewing people from Funi. On the topic of "the destroyer"; it's not an exact translation, but I'll take it, we successfully escaped "Bills" after all. We got Beerus.

I'm terribly curious as to how the "desu" scene plays out dialogue-wise. Also wondering what the translated dialogue for the "Bingo!" song ended up as. From what I read in the main BOG thread both worked out well.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Fantastic episode. It really made me appreciate Sabat and his crew even more. They really get it, and they really care about it. I couldn't ask anyone better to head the dub.

I gotta say, that must be nerve racking hearing the mix in its entirity for the first time must have been really nerve racking, though. @_@

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:04 am

I love that idea of Fight Club Chaozu, that he only exists to Tenshinhan. :lol:

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote: Wrapped up the podcast now. Damn, "Beerus the Destroyer" instead of The God of Destruction. *twitch* Yeah, I don't know how I feel about that at all. Doesn't that kinda ruin the whole running theme of gods for the film? Shame.
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. FUNimation calls him Beerus, God of Destruction on the main website. So it's not like they are changing anything story related.

They call him a deity in the movie as well. There should be no confusion unless the viewers literally do not know what the word "deity" means.

Like Mike said, it's lip flaps related.

--EDIT--
Here's the text from the website if you're wondering about that.

"BEERUS, GOD OF DESTRUCTION
Beerus, an ancient and powerful God of Destruction, is easily capable of destroying planet Earth without breaking a sweat. He is, by far, the most dangerous opponent Goku and the Z-Fighters have ever faced. Woe be unto any poor soul with the misfortune to annoy the mighty Beerus for he is prone to chaotic rampages that reduce everything in his path to smoldering piles of rubble!"

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:10 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Wrapped up the podcast now. Damn, "Beerus the Destroyer" instead of The God of Destruction. *twitch* Yeah, I don't know how I feel about that at all. Doesn't that kinda ruin the whole running theme of gods for the film? Shame.
Not having seen the English-dubbed film, I can't really speculate, but I imagine it had more to do with mouth-flaps than anything else. "Beerus, God of Destruction" is a mouthful, and doesn't work very well with the amount of space the characters actually have to say it. (As a fan-site, we have the luxury of covering things in-text, without having to worry about matching the mouth movements of an animated character.)

I don't know what they did with his appellation overall, but I wouldn't mind if they made his official title "God of Destruction" and his epithet "the Destroyer" for the sake of convenience. It actually works a bit better in English that way.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 am

Oh man, the stuff about the ad-libs in the in-between scenes is awesome :lol:

ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by ShadowDude112 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:05 am

Beerus the Destroyer? Tickets cancelled! Unfollowing FUNimation on twitter! :P

In all seriousness, it sounds like everything is gonna be great about the dub! Can't wait to see it for myself!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 am

Great podcast! One of the best from recent years, I reckon.

I had a lot of thoughts, but they kinda escaped my mind...I'll try scribble them up at a later date. Couple of things off the top of my head though:

- "Beerus the Destroyer"...was anyone else reminded of "Oozaru the Destroyer" from Dragon Ball Evolution? FOX?! :lol:

- Curious to know whether the three FUNimation cast members had heard of Kanzenshuu before and whether Chris Sabat remembered Mike from all those years ago. I also wonder if Sean remembers the brief time on this forum, but probably best not to bring that up again... :shh:

Either way, all five of you managed to put together a fascinating conversation and it was also great to get the fan perspective from Kendamu/Josh. Uh, I feel weird writing actual names as opposed to usernames for people I've never met. But after listening to so many of these podcasts and reading all of those Tweets, I can't help but throw around names like I actually know these people. :crazy:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Not having seen the English-dubbed film, I can't really speculate, but I imagine it had more to do with mouth-flaps than anything else. "Beerus, God of Destruction" is a mouthful, and doesn't work very well with the amount of space the characters actually have to say it. (As a fan-site, we have the luxury of covering things in-text, without having to worry about matching the mouth movements of an animated character.)

I don't know what they did with his appellation overall, but I wouldn't mind if they made his official title "God of Destruction" and his epithet "the Destroyer" for the sake of convenience. It actually works a bit better in English that way.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess in terms of running verbal themes, 'Hakaishin' and 'Super Saiyan God' for a Japanese viewer is fairly similar to how an English person would perceive FUNi's use of 'deity' and 'The Destroyer' vs. 'Super Saiyan God'.

It's easy to forget that the theme isn't quite as overt when you're reading subtitles that use 'God of Destruction' and 'Super Saiyan God' within a few lines of each other.

Can't say I'm still totally comfortable with the name but at least the reasoning makes much more sense to me now. I'm sure a watch of the dub will help me decide!

And if it turns out I don't like it? Oh well, it's not like I'll be watching the dub on multiple occasions.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:03 am

Here's my thoughts on the show, spoken through the mouth of Ron Burgandy.

http://youtu.be/NMXRxNbPvGI?t=1m52s

But yeah, great episode guys - I really appreciate the effort and time taken to approach the Battle of Gods dub in this way, despite the fact that I suspect it wasn't something too near the top of things you guys want to be covering.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:20 am

That was a great episode! I'm pretty hyped to see this movie even though I've seen it numerous times and even dissected the animation a bit. I guess knowing it'll be dubbed with care helps. And like Mike said, seeing it on a big screen helps too. I'm going to the August 5th showing at City Cinema in the East Village. If anyone here is in the NY area and wants to come with...?

If Kanzenshuu picks a designated spot to call their own, I will also try to get tickets for that showing too!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:04 pm

It had a bit of an awkward start (Perhaps it was the sound quality, but it didn't sound like Schemmel's "It's tits!" joke was met with any laughter. :P ), but I really, really enjoyed the rest of it. It sounded like they really respected you guys and you really respected them. I liked hearing their thoughts on the series and the movie, and Sabat's "I'm not sure what people were expecting" comment was almost therapeutic. I would love to see more interviews like these happen in the future.

I think I needed this episode of the podcast. After hearing everyone's comments, I've finally decided that I'll probably go see the dub of the movie in theaters. It'll be fun.

And a big thanks for Castor Troy and Kendamu for their coverage of the premiere! You guys rock!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:00 pm

MagicBox wrote:Schemmel's "It's tits!" joke
Yeah, the cast seemed to be having a lot more fun with it than the Kanzenshuu guys, but it occurs to me that it's also possible that the immediate reaction from Mike and co was edited out to improve intelligibility.