Should only the first story arc be called true Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Should only the first story arc be called true Dragon Ball?

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:11 am

So we know that when Akira Toriyama created Dr. Slump, it was supposed to be about the everyday life of a girl robot, so pretty much the whole series is true Dr. Slump.
Now, when Toriyama created Dragon Ball, it was supposed to be about the first time Goku and co. went searching for the dragon balls. Taking this into consideration, should only this first story arc about the first dragon ball search be considered true Dragon Ball, and the following story arcs be considered expanded universe material?

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Should only the first story arc be called true Dragon Ba

Post by BojGrass » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:30 am

I don't think so. Other than a few times (tournaments in DB specifically), the Dragon Balls are what invoke Goku & company to go out on any given adventure. I could be wrong, but it's not until after the Frieza arc (as far as I can remember) that the Dragon Balls become more of just a tool to either revive one of the main cast or to revive everyone that the antagonist of the arc killed.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 am

Rebel_Yeh wrote:So we know that when Akira Toriyama created Dr. Slump, it was supposed to be about the everyday life of a girl robot, so pretty much the whole series is true Dr. Slump.
Actually, Toriyama's original idea was that the series would focus mainly on Senbei, hence the name "Dr. Slump". Going by that, virtually none of Dr. Slump counts as "true Dr. Slump" under your criteria.
Now, when Toriyama created Dragon Ball, it was supposed to be about the first time Goku and co. went searching for the dragon balls. Taking this into consideration, should only this first story arc about the first dragon ball search be considered true Dragon Ball, and the following story arcs be considered expanded universe material?
I'm really not sure what "true" is supposed to mean in this context.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 am

It's a title, not a mandate. The Dragon Balls are key players from the first volume to the twenty-seventh. That's more than half of the series. :roll:
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 am

BojGrass wrote:I don't think so. Other than a few times (tournaments in DB specifically), the Dragon Balls are what invoke Goku & company to go out on any given adventure. I could be wrong, but it's not until after the Freeza arc (as far as I can remember) that the Dragon Balls become more of just a tool to either revive one of the main cast or to revive everyone that the antagonist of the arc killed.
The Dragon Balls are integral part of the plot in the Freeza Saga.
The entire saga goal is to stop Freeza from becoming immortal.

It's from the Android Saga onwards that they become merely a resurrection device.