"Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: "Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Agreed. The first time I had seen the Z2 characters before Hyper DBZ, I always told myself that they can easily be in their won game, and now it's happening. I had Goku Z2 since his first release and always updated, and now we have a game. Never before have I seen so much work go into something using MUGEN. This is groundbreaking work right here.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm

From the Facebook page:
Yo guys and gals, here is the HDBZ EVO pack you've been waiting for! This download would replace your HDBZ sample pack. Enjoy!
http://network.mugenguild.com/iced/Hype ... 202014.rar
Get downloading guys!

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Do i need the old pack?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Quebaz wrote:Do i need the old pack?
Nope, delete everything and start from scratch. Unless you have some custom files.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:38 am

Among other things, here are new elements of this update:

- Previously available characters have been updated to avoid some problems and abuses.
- New characters: Son Gohan and Freezer. Son Gohan is complete, while Freezer still lacks some of his supreme moves.
- New stages: Red Ribon Icelands and Urban Event at Night (city at night with a crowd for the EVO 2014).
- Mister Satan and Saibaimen removed from the selection screen, but they can still be encountered as opponents in the Arcade Mode.
- Variations in difficulty: Son Gohan and Freezer are easy to beat, the Saibaimen are still medium/hard (the problem is their strong resistance and one-by-one health units, you'd better use your charged LV2 beam to inflict maximum damage to all at once instead of a one-on-one LV3 supreme attack), while Son Goku, Super Saiyan Son Goku and Vegeta are still monsters that will mercilessly vaporize you in seconds.
- Arcade Mode tweaked so that you first have the easiest opponents to fight before the terrible trio comes up to instantly end your adventure.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Link is broken. :problem:

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Among other things, here are new elements of this update:

- Previously available characters have been updated to avoid some problems and abuses.
- New characters: Son Gohan and Freezer. Son Gohan is complete, while Freezer still lacks some of his supreme moves.
- New stages: Red Ribon Icelands and Urban Event at Night (city at night with a crowd for the EVO 2014).
- Mister Satan and Saibaimen removed from the selection screen, but they can still be encountered as opponents in the Arcade Mode.
- Variations in difficulty: Son Gohan and Freezer are easy to beat, the Saibaimen are still medium/hard (the problem is their strong resistance and one-by-one health units, you'd better use your charged LV2 beam to inflict maximum damage to all at once instead of a one-on-one LV3 supreme attack), while Son Goku, Super Saiyan Son Goku and Vegeta are still monsters that will mercilessly vaporize you in seconds.
- Arcade Mode tweaked so that you first have the easiest opponents to fight before the terrible trio comes up to instantly end your adventure.
Keep in mind that Gohan and Freeza are easy to beat because their AI is not finished yet. In the next update they should be much harder to fight against.

Anyway I finally fully tested this I don't know if Iced still lurks the forums around or if DNA passes he feedback around (which would be great, consider that DNA) but here it goes.
Gohan is amazing, while I'm a bit sad to see his outfit the same as Goku instead of his training with Goten one or his Saiyaman one (but hey, not complaining). He plays great, love his air mobility and the way his kicks work (wonder why you didn't use one of his Hyper Dimension moves, but he was a charge there anyways).

On Freeza: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HIM! His voice, his walk animation, his moveset, it's so cool and it feels like he's just dancing while beating people up (or rather, Sadistically Dancing...sorry). Really eager to see the rest of his finishers (tho sad none of them will include his Prison Ball or the move he used to kill Krillin) and how his Sadism mode will add to the character.

Also FUCK YEAH! new life bars, hoping the screenpack is atleast the same quality.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Links don't work.
Was wondering if this deserved the hype...no way to tell. :?

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:52 pm

A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks bruh bruh. It works.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Does anyone know how to make the game fit a 1600x900 screen? I can't seem to make it fit properly.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Does anyone know how to make the game fit a 1600x900 screen? I can't seem to make it fit properly.
I belive u have to play it in 4:3 all the times I'm not sure, unless you go to the "mugen.cfg" in the data folder and edit the resolution there.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 pm

I messed with the cfg file. I guess 4:3 is how it is.

Also, those Saibamen are crazy, haven't beaten them. Probably need a gamepad or something. I'm loving Freeza.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:25 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:I messed with the cfg file. I guess 4:3 is how it is.

Also, those Saibamen are crazy, haven't beaten them. Probably need a gamepad or something. I'm loving Freeza.
I believe the way Saibamen could work would be as a Score-mini game, the more Saibamen you destroy the more points you get, instead of being an opponent. (Also, if an opponent is really hard just press F1 and see their bar decrease automatically...shh I didn't tell you this.)
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Once I get home I'll tinker with mine a bit. I haven't messed with the actual Hyper DBZ game, but I've changed the ratio in my own custom MUGEN game.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Sorry about the link guys, I just copied it, haven't tired it yet.

Iced no longer comes here, and I shouldn't divulge the reasons. I do try to keep on top of it, I'll ask Iced and Balthazar to keep giving me information.
As I said before, I designed most of the outfits for Gohan's Kibito intro, I'm very proud of the space suit, personally.

As for higher resolution, I'm sure there's a way, I think I've done it before, but I can't remember now. It's embarrassing but I haven't got much time to actually try this! Despite all the hype I myself give out... T__T

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Quebaz wrote: Keep in mind that Gohan and Freeza are easy to beat because their AI is not finished yet. In the next update they should be much harder to fight against.
I don't know about that, the team stated on the Facebook page that they heard the many complaints about the nightmarish AI and would make Gohan easy to beat, along with all subsequent characters they might add in the future, AND they would make new versions of the previously-available characters like Goku and Vegeta that we can beat like walking punching-bags. So far, they kept their promises, Gohan and Freezer are easy to fight like all characters should be, so future updates are gonna be nice! :wink:
DarkPrince_92 wrote: Also, those Saibamen are crazy, haven't beaten them. Probably need a gamepad or something. I'm loving Freeza.
They're annoying, but try the cheap way: combo them in the same way until you get your Level 2 Supreme Gauge and launch a charged Level 2 beam which will hit and destroy all current Saibaimen on screens, drastically reducing the Saibaimen health gauge. Then do it all again.

With Goku, keep repeating the combo that you perform with DOWN + DOWN/BACK + BACK + X ("mid-punch" I think) three times over.
Then charged Kame Hame Ha (don't hold the button at all, just let the beam go as soon as possible)
DNA wrote: As I said before, I designed most of the outfits for Gohan's Kibito intro, I'm very proud of the space suit, personally.
That was really another great idea to have Kibito materializing so many costumes, some of which are Story Costumes and Bonus Costumes for Gohan at pretty much every age, plus references to other franchises! Genius! I went to see them all directly with the sprites database.

So much creativity, and so many references to official artworks (Journey to the West costume, Gohan in his car with Videl, Goku leaning over his opponent just like against Freezer in an artwork...), all those special animations are even the best parts of the whole game!
You can even see Super Saiyan 3 Goku or little Goten even though they're not playable, how awesome is that?
I mean, seriously, who would have thought of bringing in an adult version of Hire Dragon?

Really, the one and only thing missing (except always more characters and stages), is actual Arcade endings.
Not something complicated, it doesn't even need to have exclusive illustrations and texts like Street Fighter II back then, but just a little exclusivity like some special victory animation or some special sprites you only get to see (like Videl coming up like Ken's wife back then, or anything that would only require a few sprites, but feel like an exclusive reward you can see at the end - for example, seeing the animation for Super Saiyan 3 Goku would have been a great reward for the Arcade ending if it hadn't been already used in another way).

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 pm

@Cold Skin. Yes, the team said thatm however the original plan was (and still is) to get the difficulty options avaliable for all the characters in the config file (similar to how they have the voices and some effects), and both in the video and its description says that both Gohan and Freeza don't have AI yet, my guess is that the later update will include the difficulty options for all the current characters so some of us can get to play against them at maximum difficulty and some others and very easy.

As for the arcade stuff, I don't know how well that works with the overall mugen engine, but from what I know, unless you are adding the endings to the character code itself (like for example, after beating seven matches something happens, they added that with Goku in a earlier version where you would get a DB each match and that the end, the Dragon appeared, don't know if it still has that.) the only thing you can add in is something like video files or still images. I would love to be proven otherwise tho, and I'm sure I will.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

^ Well, having a difficulty setting in the character's config would be fine with me and pretty much everyone, I think.
Then each player can go for the right challenge for their own skills and preferences.

As for endings, all I know is that the included mugen files mention the possibility of having cutscenes and things like that, so there are possibilities.
But even without having something as complicated as a cutscene (it already takes them much work to create new stages, new sprites and new characters), just a special picture (you mentionned a still image) or a unique sprite/animation that's worth it would be nice.

Right now, when you finish the Arcade mode, you just have the character performing his victory pose in the center of the screen with "Congratulations" written.
Just a picture or a unique, very special victory pose (cause they're amazingly creative with intro/victory pose, so it would be worth it) would be a worthy reward!
Like seeing a glimpse of a non-playable character or a non-playable form, just like with the victory pose of the Super Saiyan 3 or Gohan's moves that include Goten!
(well, okay, Super Saiyan 3 being already taken, that leaves only Super Saiyan God, but they're so creative that I'm sure they can surprise us in other ways too)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 am

In the "data" folder, go into your Mugen.cfg file, and open it with Notepad.

Scroll down, underneath [Config], and change the Gamewidth and height to whichever one of the options you fancy. Save your file, then open up Mugen. That should do the trick.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog