Could Viz possibly translate more Daizenshuu?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Could Viz possibly translate more Daizenshuu?

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:02 pm

I asked VIZ about the possibility of translating the Daizenshuu's and this is what they said.

I don't know if this is their usual response to fan with questions like this but I thought I'd share it on here anyway. Hopefully one day we can buy them, translated and all.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: VIZ possibly translating the Daizenshuu's?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Square has been saying the same thing about the Final Fantasy Ultimanias for years now. Don't get your hopes up.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Daizenshu? Pfft. Chozenshu (and Chogashu) or bust! =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Seconding the chogashu, I never did get around to buying that when it was in print.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Get all the Full Colours' out and then worry about this, Viz.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:50 pm

They can do multiple things at once. If anything though, these should take precedence over any other DB material they are currently releasing, because regardless of how they are repackaging it (Full Color, 3-in-1), we've already had the manga out for years. New content preferred.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 pm

SSJ3_Zack wrote: I don't know if this is their usual response to fan with questions like this.
Of course it is. No company will ever say "No, we will never ever translate this thing you want" unless it's something they know someone else have the rights to.

I also rather doubt the guy who answered that question knows exactly what the Daizenshuu are and that a number of them are anime-based.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm sure they'll ever do it. It's a shame though, I sure would love to have them.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a canned 'We may eventually, who knows!' response. And I mean canned just in the sense of a stock reply, not that it's a bad thing or anything - they get so many questions per day I imagine, that they'd have to have some can responses.

I really wish FUNimation and them could strike some sort of deal to be able to put out the chozenshu here though. I'd really, really love to have my own copies that I can actually read.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 pm

If the person responding was giving your question due consideration you likely would've been informed that VIZ had already released a translation from the Daizenshuus and at this time there are no plans of continuing it.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:Seconding the chogashu, I never did get around to buying that when it was in print.
It's still available, if you're interested. :)

CDJapan
Amazon Japan

It sold out almost immediately upon release date and was impossible to find online for nearly a year, but everything seems to be okay now.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:56 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Seconding the chogashu, I never did get around to buying that when it was in print.
It's still available, if you're interested. :)

CDJapan
Amazon Japan

It sold out almost immediately upon release date and was impossible to find online for nearly a year, but everything seems to be okay now.
I had no idea it came back in print. Thank you!
Will definitely look into it!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Get all the Full Colours' out and then worry about this, Viz.
Yeah seriously, continue this.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Could Viz possibly translate more Daizenshuu?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Didn't they release the first Daizenshuu a while back? I'm pretty sure it sold poorly that they never bother releasing the others to the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Full colour of all "seven" arcs comes first. Then, I'd love them to release the Chozenshuu and Chogashuu.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Didn't they release the first Daizenshuu a while back? I'm pretty sure it sold poorly that they never bother releasing the others to the US.
Yes, it came out in 2008.

There's no reason to suspect it sold "poorly".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Didn't they release the first Daizenshuu a while back? I'm pretty sure it sold poorly that they never bother releasing the others to the US.
The first Daizenshuu has been released in dozens of countries, none of which got all the Daizenshuu and almost none of which got a single other Daizenshuu. The book has never been considered "the first in a series" as far as the international market is concerned.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 pm

I would assume that it sold poorly since it been six years and nothing happen since then. Viz would have done more from 2008 to now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would assume that it sold poorly since it been six years and nothing happen since then. Viz would have done more from 2008 to now.
So you assumee it sold poorly in every country it was released in, and that Viz decided to release a proven terrible seller for no real reason?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Maybe it sold poorly, maybe it didn't. But you have to keep in mind that the spines of the Daizenshuu are all numbered. Viz very purposefully took all reference to a number off of their version from the get-go. Maybe they had plans to release all of them, maybe not. But removing the number certainly makes it seem like they didn't have any kind of certainty of releasing all of them until poor sales made them decide to cancel. The fact of the matter is, Daizenshuu 1 is the easiest of all the Daizenshuu to put out. It's almost all images. There's not a lot of text to deal with. So with comparatively little cost to them, they could put that book out. Just translate the notes at the end, make a new cover, and you have a book that practically made itself. The other Daizenshuu were a whole other ballgame and weren't nearly as easy money. Then you have the ones that focus on the TV series, which would be a licensing nightmare. So maybe they were dipping their toe in the water to see if there was enough of a demand for Daizenshuu. And if it had flown off the shelves, they probably would have at least pursued the option. But there's just as much evidence to suggest going beyond the first book was never in their game plan in any serious form.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2