Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SativaSam

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by SativaSam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Saw the movie in Cartersville, GA last night. I actually held off from watching the subbed version somehow when it became available on the internet and was glad I did.

I went into the movie knowing that Goku loses, but that's all that I knew. I thought he was going to lose via the Beerus blast, so I was really impressed when he absorbed it all up!

The theatre I went to did not have Battle of Gods posted anywhere, so for a second I thought they weren't even showing it (even though I confirmed beforehand)

Our theatre was surprisingly full. Believe it was almost at capacity and the crowd was great.

The theatre had issues starting the movie for some reason, after the previews ended it went to black for like 5-10 minutes, and during that someone yelled out "Next time on Dragon Ball Z!" which was great.

Overall, I just simply had a really good time. I was surprised at not only how many people showed up (even a few Cosplayers as Goku, albeit poor jobs of them) but how good the movie was. I honestly did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I feel like it's the early 2000s all over again and I hope that Akira continues to do this.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 pm

So after hobbling 4 miles to the theater in crutches, I have just arrived at the AMC and have gotten my ticket. Currently in the room waiting for it to start. Will post back when I get home as to how it was.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:So after hobbling 4 miles to the theater in crutches, I have just arrived at the AMC and have gotten my ticket. Currently in the room waiting for it to start. Will post back when I get home as to how it was.
How full is it being it's no longer opening day?

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Kinda wish they had done double features of the old movies then could've gone with my cousins when we were younger. Still was great to see in theater.
You know what? This was the perfect time to do that.

I would've gladly paid a premium price for a double feature. BoG and then Movie 12 or 13 afterwards would've been the perfect showing.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Looks like I'll be seeing it on theaters after all. I'll be seeing it on Saturday at 12 at Tower Theater. Can't wait! :D

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Just got back from my showing, and overall my experience was great! We had a Vegeta cosplayer which surprisingly looked pretty damn good! Since the movie had a lot of comedic moments there was a bunch of laughter from the crowd which made me miss some lines spoken since they were really loud, also there were two people behind us who were talking through a lot of the scenes though, which was really annoying :roll:

I was also surprised to see so many people at my theater, it didn't see like there was much marketing for the release. I can't say what I thought of the dub overall though, since I haven't seen the Japanese version in almost a year so I can't really compare the lines. But I found the voice acting to be great! (even though Kaio-sama's voice is cringe worthy) and I thought the actors nailed the comedic moments, the average anime episode joke was great :lol: (was that in the original Japanese version? I can't remember).
steam: broccoili

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:59 pm

DynasticHunter wrote:(was that in the original Japanese version? I can't remember).
Yep, it was. And it got a huge laugh in my theatre. Although as long as we're on the subject of that scene, I hated the fact that they didn't use the name "oracle fish." For some reason, that name tickles me quite a bit, and the fact that they went with the nondescript "sage" just confused me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
DynasticHunter wrote:(was that in the original Japanese version? I can't remember).
Yep, it was. And it got a huge laugh in my theatre. Although as long as we're on the subject of that scene, I hated the fact that they didn't use the name "oracle fish." For some reason, that name tickles me quite a bit, and the fact that they went with the nondescript "sage" just confused me.
Didn't they call the Idol...I mean Oracle Fish "Seer"? I swear that's what Funi called it.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Seer, that was probably it. I knew it started with an "s". Thank you. But, yeah, point still stands. It's just so bland and not ... oracle fish!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Hmm...I just thought of something, in regards to the ending credits of the film, since someone mentioned earlier that they did leave the manga-pages-flipping stuff, as well as even having Schemmel do a Kamehameha for the very last part. In regards to the manga pages flipping, did they just leave that part alone entirely, or did they like...re-do that only with the English manga pages? I'm going to assume the former, since the latter would most likely entail talking to Viz, as well as just being more trouble than it's worth just for the end credits, but it would be a nice little change for the English version of the film.

...Though I guess that would entail them either ONLY having that version (which would bug a lot of people), or having two video tracks, something they haven't done in years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Just got back. It was pretty cool. The dub was excellent and they did a great job with the script. The crowd was packed and the people were good aside from this one bratty little shit who wouldn't SHUT THE FUCK UP. Beerus' anime joke, the entire Pilaf scene, and Goku imitating Vegeta got the biggest laughs. And when Goku asked Beerus to give him 5 minutes someone said "5 minutes? We're gonna be here all day" and everybody laughed
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:24 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:Actually, I think yours is not the same one as mine. Sorry I didn't respond back to you, but mine's in Erie, PA, in the Millcreek area. I think the link may have actually re-directed you to one closer to you, since I know Cinemark is in this entire upper area. Either way, I hope you enjoy your experience!
Ah, that would make sense then!

Overall, it was nice. The drive was a bit too far away for my tastes, but still worth it. Some glitches at first, as my brother and cousin had no money on them, so they didn't get in as early as I did. They needed to have money transferred. Overall, the sound system worked well! It was a full theater. We had to leave about 10 mins before it ended (after the end of the fight).
It was odd to kinda hear modern slang in a Dragon Ball dub, but I welcome it. The humor was well adapted, people laughed at most of the right moments. Had an 'Oh!' or two when Beerus slapped Bulma.

The one annoying part was: Goku had his second burst for Super Saiyan God as he's getting hit by Beerus' attack. A guy a row or two behind me felt the need to unnessciarily quote TeamFourStar and yell 'SENZU BEAN!' and as Goku's recovering/giving up he yelled 'Space Duck'... There's a time and place to enjoy TFS, but that annoyed me, my brother and cousin to no end (they also have never seen TFS, so they were confused).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:In regards to the manga pages flipping, did they just leave that part alone entirely, or did they like...re-do that only with the English manga pages?
Nope, it was the exact same un-translated Kanzenban pages and panels.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Seer, that was probably it. I knew it started with an "s". Thank you. But, yeah, point still stands. It's just so bland and not ... oracle fish!
I remember Beerus calling "Seer! Seer!", but at some point someone did call he/she/it "Oracle Fish" as well. In that respect it's like how the movie called Beerus "Beerus the Destroyer" and "God of Destruction", though the latter was more rare, unfortunately.
DynasticHunter wrote:I was also surprised to see so many people at my theater, it didn't see like there was much marketing for the release
Would you mind if I asked what theater you went to?

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Currently standing in line at my local AMC to see Battle of Gods for the first time. Stoked!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Kaboom wrote:Nope, it was the exact same un-translated Kanzenban pages and panels.
Thanks for the answer. That was what I figured, would have been too much trouble to do anything else, but it would have been a nice touch.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kaboom wrote:Nope, it was the exact same un-translated Kanzenban pages and panels.
Thanks for the answer. That was what I figured, would have been too much trouble to do anything else, but it would have been a nice touch.
I don't think funi has the rights to Viz's translation so they'd have to translate it themselves which would've been a waste of time
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 pm

Tyro wrote:
DynasticHunter wrote:I was also surprised to see so many people at my theater, it didn't see like there was much marketing for the release
Would you mind if I asked what theater you went to?
Stonybrook Carmike in Louisville, Ky
steam: broccoili

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Also, I wound up sitting in front of a subbie who kept saying "SIGH-an!" when Beerus first mentioned the Super Saiyan form. :|
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 pm

All those annoying audience members are another reason for me not to go. :lol:
I'm pretty obsessive about catching every line.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."