Sean Schemmel’s interview on Greek Otaku Radio (1st October)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Sean Schemmel’s interview on Greek Otaku Radio (1st October)

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:56 am

Sean Schemmel is going to give an exclusive interview to his Greek fans on October 1, 2014 at 22:00 (Greek hour).
If you are interested, you can check out this new interview here.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Sean Schemmel’s interview on Greek Otaku Radio (1st Octo

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Interesting, thank you Red.This brings me to the next question : how much american voice actors/FUNimation are popular in the Greek DB fanbase ? :)

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I think that the American voice actors of DBZ are very popular here but there are also many fans of the original Japanese version.
And that was a surprise because Greek Otaku Radio is used to take interviews from the Japanese Voice Actors and not from the American ones.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:38 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Interesting, thank you Red.This brings me to the next question : how much american voice actors/FUNimation are popular in the Greek DB fanbase ? :)
I've never been to Greece, so I can't answer this with certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FUNimation cast has a fanbase there and in other countries. Actually, I think the FUNimation cast probably has the second-widest global exposure within DB fandom.

I say this because I learned a while back that, apparently, with the exception of Japan itself, the countries and territories that sell DBZ video games include two options for voices: the original Japanese cast and the FUNimation English cast. In other words, there are local dubs of the animes, but there are no local dubs of the video games (ie no Greek dub for the video games released in Greece, no French dub for the video games released in France, etc.). The original Japanese version, by way of bilingual DVD releases, probably has the widest global exposure, but taking the video games into account, I'd say that the FUNimation cast has the second-widest global exposure.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:46 pm

That's Japanese Video Games in general, last I checked. The only one I remember getting a foreign dub was the original Kingdom Hearts.

But wow, an American VA interviewed for the Greek fanbase. This series, man.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:Interesting, thank you Red.This brings me to the next question : how much american voice actors/FUNimation are popular in the Greek DB fanbase ? :)
I've never been to Greece, so I can't answer this with certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FUNimation cast has a fanbase there and in other countries. Actually, I think the FUNimation cast probably has the second-widest global exposure within DB fandom.

I say this because I learned a while back that, apparently, with the exception of Japan itself, the countries and territories that sell DBZ video games include two options for voices: the original Japanese cast and the FUNimation English cast. In other words, there are local dubs of the animes, but there are no local dubs of the video games (ie no Greek dub for the video games released in Greece, no French dub for the video games released in France, etc.). The original Japanese version, by way of bilingual DVD releases, probably has the widest global exposure, but taking the video games into account, I'd say that the FUNimation cast has the second-widest global exposure.
When I was in Greece, practically everyone I met aside from a few really old people spoke really good English. It wouldn't surprise me if the English Dub was more widespread in Greece than the original.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:23 am

Sean Schemmel voiced that dumbass villain from the Shadow the Hedgehog video game? I can only imagine what it feels like to have that turd on his resume. :eh:

Seriously, of all the characters they could have put in that collage, why did they pick Black Doom of all people? :lol:

Anyway, It's neat to see Funimation's cast make waves overseas -especially now that purists like many of us can take their performances seriously.
Last edited by ParkerAL on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:30 am

The Greek guy speaking english... he sounds like he's reading the questions and not even trying the slightest to make it sound like a conversation. Plus his heavy accent. Even though the questions are interesting this made me shut the video down after a few minutes.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:32 am

At first I thought it was scripted. I watched all the way through though. There were some awkward moments, and it was kind of boring and it dragged, but at least I learned that Schemmel visited Greece in the past. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:40 am

sangofe wrote:The Greek guy speaking english... he sounds like he's reading the questions and not even trying the slightest to make it sound like a conversation. Plus his heavy accent.
Agreed. He was kinda awkward during the interview and I didn't like at all as well.
But still, that was indeed a great moment for the Greek Anime community.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm surprised he likes Cell more than Freeza. But, then again I'm comparing it to my opinion and everyone has their own reasons for liking/not liking something. I personally find Cell less interesting than Freeza. Also the in-character Goku comment at the end definitely sounds like something Goku would say.