Favorite Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Favorite Movie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I apologize now if this is already a thread, I tried using the search and it just gave me posts with the word movie in it. BUT I am curious about peoples favorite movie. Not what they think is best or "cannon" but just personal favorites. When I was a kid the only american releases (on VHS) were Dead Zone, Worlds Strongest, and Tree of Might. I have the Japanese copies of Coolers Revenge and Wrath of the Dragon and even though I speak ZERO Japanese, Wrath of the Dragon was my favorite because it showed more of the regular life of the Characters and the animation BLEW MY MIND. Now that I have seen them all in english I am torn between Bojack Unbound and Super 17. I know I might catch some heat for this but Bio Broly is up there too. It is hard not to include Return of Cooler because I love it when they show the relationship of Vegeta and Goku.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Kaboom

Re: Favorite Movie

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Moved from In-Universe to General.

Anyway... my favorite has practically always been and remains to be DBZ Movie #12 (Fusion Rebon). It has all the right high-tension action AND light-hearted comedy mixed in just the right way for me. My intense nostalgia for it is what keeps Battle of Gods, which contains pretty much all the same elements, from edging it out and stealing that number-one spot.

Aside from those two, I'm very fond of DBZ Movies 1 and 13 for their interesting stories and fights, and Movie 9 for being the only one (before Battle of Gods) that could comfortably fit in with the manga's timeline. I also really like Dragon Ball Movies 3 (Mystical Adventure) and 4 (Path To Power).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Battle Of Gods for these reasons :

1- It had a great villain.
2- It sets up more stories.
3- It opened up the Dragon world even more.
4- It had epic fights.
5- It had Vegeta be the bad ass that he is in the Manga and not the pushover he is in the other movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Movie 12 is the best in every area except for the fighting scenes where it is second to movie 6.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:56 pm

My fault! Right before I read your post I noticed that I put it in the wrong place, guess I'm getting too excited... Thanks for moving it.

I liked Fusion Reborn, I really liked Gogeta. I would have guessed knowing the younger me it would have been my favorite because of the fusion and all of the SS (No not Hitlers army...) the Super Saiyajins. For sentiment my favorite might be the Tree of might because EVERYONE got down in that movie and the animation was so good compared to some of the animation in the early DBZ episodes. Also watching TreeOM and Worlds Strongest really excited me because the animation in them was predominately used for the original opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8FzDm4Gbo
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:04 pm

The pudding scene (along with seeing on the big screen) in Battle of Gods really me love that movie. I have run into VERY FEW people who even mention Lord Slug as a favorite much less top 3. The premise of basing it on real ancient cave drawings was very cool! Especially for a conspiracy theory fan like me. :) False SSJ was cool and Piccolo was really bad ass in that one. Is anyone here a big fan of Lord Slug (Movie 4)?

The fighting in 6 was really cool! Fusion reborn the best part fighting wise, and humor, was Gohan punching freeza in the gut and then him just blowing up! I did like how the animators included old movie villains when they all start running from Gohan.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Three-way tie between 12 (Gokû and Vegeta interactions), 1 (the fight sequences), and BOG (Gokû being excessively himself and his cute magenta-haired power-up, Beerus being an entertaining guy (I agree on the pudding stuff being great), surprisingly Pilaf Gang).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Kaboom, Path to Power was really sweet! Nice to see an updated animation on Dragon Ball, took me back for sure!
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Chuquita wrote:Three-way tie between 12 (Gokû and Vegeta interactions), 1 (the fight sequences), and BOG (Gokû being excessively himself and his cute magenta-haired power-up, Beerus being an entertaining guy (I agree on the pudding stuff being great), surprisingly Pilaf Gang).
The whole inclusion of pilaf and his cronies was genius! "huh, what are you guys doing in the prize room?"
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I guess my number 1 favorite would be The Dead Zone Ocean dubbed. that's such a magical movie for me and it's kinda creepy. My 2nd would be Coolers Revenge.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I guess my number 1 favorite would be The Dead Zone Ocean dubbed. that's such a magical movie for me and it's kinda creepy. My 2nd would be Coolers Revenge.
Yes on the Ocean Dub! Those could easily be my top 2! "PEPPERONI!!!"
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Tree Of Might (Ocean TV-Dub). Though it was the best English version of the movie.

Broly Movie 1 - Had the best pacing, and balance between comedy, story and fighting. Something most DB movies after it forget.

Metal-Cooler Movie - I thought it was the darkest movie in the franchise.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:07 pm

For me it's a tie between Path to Power & Bojack Unbound. The Path to Power has some really beautiful animation and it's a nice little retelling of how Goku and pals come together. It's also a nice way to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Bojack Unbound was one I really anticipated, I couldn't wait to watch it. The little interactions between the characters, most of the team is there and I'm a sucker for Super saiyan 2 Gohan. And both films had some nice fight choreography, Goku plowing through the Red Ribbon soilders with the power pole is epic! :)
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Battle of Gods for sure. It had my favourite movie antagonist, the comedy was excellent, the soundtrack was memorable, everything about it was just great!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Battle of Gods. I loved everything about it. Beerus is one of the coolest, funniest and most badass characters in all of Dragon Ball and he was only in one movie. I hope he's in the next movie and we get to learn more about him.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Battle of Gods was easily my favorite. I loved the humor and the tone of the film. It felt like hanging out with good friends after many years. Beerus was a fantastic addition to the universe and I can't wait to learn about the other gods and dimensions.

My second favorite is Dead Zone. I love the fights and the atmosphere was awesome. It was great to see Goku team up with Piccolo and Gohan was adorable!

Third goes to the first Broly movie. I really liked delving back into the Saiyans' history and the irony behind King Vegeta attempting to kill Broly in fear of him overpowering him. It was also great having all the characters fight at once against the villain instead of taking turns.

I didn't really care for any of the other movies, unfortunately.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Battle of Gods because of the Pilaf scenes, SSJG design, Hero, and Vegeta swallowing his pride. Just saw it for the first time last week, and it was fantastic.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Re-watched Dead Zone (Ocean Dub), forgot how much I liked that when I first got it for christmas. The original japanese soundtrack :thumbup: . I hate to flip flop seeing as I started this thread but how can I not put that as a favorite. The younger me is rolling over in his grave.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Babbu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Babbu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 am

The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy

Probably because it was the first bootlegged fansub thing I ever watched so it has nostalgia going for it as well. Also as far as I can tell unlike every other movie other than Battle of Gods there is nothing in it that is wildly outside of what was actually going on in the anime.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:22 am

I don't know if I can say that I really have a favorite movie. I mean there's movies I can just watch over and over again and never get tired of, like Anchorman and It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, but I don't know if that makes them my favorites. I guess I'd have to separate by genre; Terminator 2 would probably be my favorite action movie. Captain America 2 would be-

Oh. You meant DBZ movies. I'd say movie 12, for much the same reasons Kaboom chose it. I'm also quite fond of movie 1 for the solid fight scenes that have just the right mix of DB and DBZ elements, the henchmen actually being relevant and not just useless fodder, the good animation, the atmosphere, teamwork being effective, Piccolo and Goku teaming up, and the attempt to expand the mythos.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.