Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Richard Ian Cox, huh. Well, I'm not familiar with Inuyasha's dub so I can't comment on the recognisability of his voice but from listening to some clips just now, I think it's a solid casting choice.

Assuming he really takes the time to learn the character and doesn't just do Schemmel 2.0 then I'm on board.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I know him best as Quicksilver from Xmen Evolution. Looking at his list of roles it looks like he's played some minor roles in DBZ before. Listening to some clips of him on Youtube I could imagine him sounding similar to Ian James Corlett's Goku.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:52 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Richard Ian Cox, huh. Well, I'm not familiar with Inuyasha's dub so I can't comment on the recognisability of his voice but from listening to some clips just now, I think it's a solid casting choice.

Assuming he really takes the time to learn the character and doesn't just do Schemmel 2.0 then I'm on board.
This is a critique of the Inuyasha dub from someone who actually knows Japanese, but if you're more so just curious about Richard Ian Cox, I will say he got better in the sequel Inuyasha: Final Act. The dubs for both shows are available on Hulu, but I don't know if you get that where you live.

I'm not really a fan of dub culture anymore but Richard Ian Cox, alongside Scott McNeil and Kirby Morrow, were the three voice actors I grew up with. So I'll check this out just out of curiosity.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 pm

Hmmmm.....well, that does it, one of the longest-lasting mysteries of this dub has been solved. So, put it down in ink, everybody who's just skimming this thread:

The voice of Goku is Richard Ian Cox.

Which is also consistent with KaiserNeko's hint that he gave us waaaay back...his hint was, "It's ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in Dragon Ball Evolution." Most people--myself included--interpreted this to mean that whoever was playing Goku in the Ocean dub of Kai previously played a role in English that was played by Kappei Yamaguchi in Japanese. And, well, Kappei Yamaguchi voiced Inuyasha.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Also, Richard Ian Cox dubbed Boy-Ranma, who was also originally voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi.

It was kind of obvious it was going to be Cox since Ranma and Inuyasha were Yamaguchi's two most famous roles anyway.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Are they going to use custom music or that obnoxious Kikuchi score for the Kai dub?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Well at least that's something new. I was kinda expecting it to be Alessandro Juliani but this is still a good choice I think. After looking him up it states that he's originally from the UK which is a first for Goku VAs (with Kelamis being the other exception since he's originally Australian).

Hopefully we get to hear his performance someday. Needless to say he's got some big shoes to fill.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Also, Richard Ian Cox dubbed Boy-Ranma, who was also originally voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi.

It was kind of obvious it was going to be Cox since Ranma and Inuyasha were Yamaguchi's two most famous roles anyway.
Well, that's just the thing--the inclusion of the word "obvious" is what kept me from definitively calling it as being Cox. Kirbopher said that the choice would be "an unexpected choice" that we would be surprised to learn about. It's interesting how certain clues make more sense in hindsight, though...I thought by "unexpected choice," he meant that the voice type wouldn't necessarily be a perfect fit, but that his acting would win us over. Now, though, I know what Kirbopher meant by "unexpected"...he meant "unexpected" in the sense that Cox has already played some relatively iconic roles, so he wouldn't necessarily be given the role of Goku. Like McNeil said, Cox felt the casting descision was "crazy" because of how recognizable he is as the voice of Inuyasha. The use of the word "unexpected" is what had me leaning towards Alessandro Juliani (who played Kappei Yamaguchi's role of L in Death Note) as the new voice.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Are they going to use custom music or that obnoxious Kikuchi score for the Kai dub?
We don't know for sure. However, way back in 2010, Sean Schemmel said that it would indeed be a new score ("crappy Canadian music," to use his words). Unfortunately, it appears as though what he said was true. The company that did the music for the Westwood dub listed Kai as one of the projects they're working on.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Yeah Alessandro Juliani was the only other person I thought it could be.

Abridged should make a joke about Cox as Goku. Like Kental said elsewhere, have Goku yell WIND SCAR instead of KAMEHAMEHA.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 am

As a French fan, I've only known the Funimation dub through video games and some English extracts here and there, and some trailers.
Can you remind me what's the big deal with the Ocean Kai dub, what's important about an Ocean dub being on its way?

Is it a dub that is generally considered better for the kinds of voices chosen or for the voice actors' convincing performances?
Is it sort of half-half with half of the people prefering the Funimation dub and half the people prefering the Ocean dub?
Is it, on the contrary, a dub that's pretty bad compared to Funimation and people are waiting for it to have a good laugh or something, or for mere nostalgia?

Basically, for someone who doesn't have a clue about what the dub is like compared to Funimation (I still know a bit of its history thanks to Kanzenshuu articles), how is it important that an Ocean Kai dub is coming? What would this alternative version bring to the table for English-speaking fans?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 am

I can't speak for everyone but for me personally, I'm interested because it's my preferred English language cast. McNeil's Piccolo and Drummond's Vegeta are great. Moreover, this new dub has less obligation to retain FUNi's dubisms since it's not had years on years of fans getting used to a certain way of saying things. As we've seen, they're supposedly pronouncing Namek correctly.

It'll just be nice to see what a fresh take on the series can bring to the table. Okay and maybe a little nostlagia.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 am

Yeah, I think it is mostly nostalgia for people. I never saw the Ocean dub, so it doesn't have anything for me, bit I'm just curious to see how it'll be handled.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:16 am

Mmmm...I'm glad to get some news about that, thanks to you guys, but I just can't stop thinking "OK, that's great, Drummond, Mc Neil and the others, dubbing DB Kai, how freakin' awesome ! But I'll never watch it." :( Where the hell this version will be broadcast/released ?
I've recently finished to re-watch the Ocean&Westwood dub...It was great.OK, this dub is far from perfection, But just as the FUNi dub, I consider it as an alternate version of Dragon Ball Z, different openings & endings, different cut, different music...it's just fascinating.As Cold Skin, I grew up with the crappy french dub, so I don't watch it for nostalgic reasons, but I easily understand why so much people love this dub.

Somebody, please, make it happen. (With Mitchell & Keenlyside score, if it's possible.Hey, why not after all ? :thumbup: )

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 am

For me it's pretty much just curiosity. Funimation's cast have always been my favorite even though I grew up with a mixture of Funimation and Ocean on Toonami UK. I did love Ocean's dub of DBZ up to episode 53 were they originally stopped dubbing. Those episodes had top notch acting and great music by Shuki Levy. When they returned to dub episode 108 onwards I hated it because of the rushed performances and the grating music that was recycled from Megaman.

Overall I'm perfectly happy with Funimation's dub of Kai. Really the only reason I'm curious about this dub is to see if Ocean can redeem themselves with a return to form.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:37 am

I'm pretty interested to hear what Richard Ian Cox is going to sound like as Goku, just because I really can't wrap my head around that idea. He'll handle the combat stuff just fine of course, he's had plenty of practice at that over the years, but...the goofy moments...that's gonna be what'll make or break his performance.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

ShinGaijin wrote:Mmmm...I'm glad to get some news about that, thanks to you guys, but I just can't stop thinking "OK, that's great, Drummond, Mc Neil and the others, dubbing DB Kai, how freakin' awesome ! But I'll never watch it." :( Where the hell this version will be broadcast/released ?
I've recently finished to re-watch the Ocean&Westwood dub...It was great.OK, this dub is far from perfection, But just as the FUNi dub, I consider it as an alternate version of Dragon Ball Z, different openings & endings, different cut, different music...it's just fascinating.As Cold Skin, I grew up with the crappy french dub, so I don't watch it for nostalgic reasons, but I easily understand why so much people love this dub.

Somebody, please, make it happen. (With Mitchell & Keenlyside score, if it's possible.Hey, why not after all ? :thumbup: )
The french dub had great voices, though, and Kai's mostly great now (apart from occasional script fucks-ups) ;)

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

Eh, fuck it.

Yeah, it's Richard. When I spoke to Scott about it a few years ago (I literally can't believe it's /been years/) I asked him about Goku and he said it was Richard, AND that he was the "perfect man for the job" despite how recognizable he is. After sitting on it for a while, he's actually right about that, in terms of Ocean's talent pool. Even though most people know him for the gruffer stuff like Inuyasha, he's actually quite a goofball in real life and has a naturally higher voice...and not to mention he's a VERY solid actor and damn well knows how to scream, I can tell you that. If and when this thing ever comes out, I'm excited to hear it.

I guess to throw more fuel on the fire, I recently met the "new" voice of Zarbon for this Canadian dub. He didn't say it was public knowledge so I'll keep that one a secret unless told otherwise (it was brought up in casual conversation), but that goes to show that they really DID re-audition everybody proper. Based on the casting choices of the new Zarbon and new Freeza, interestingly, they might end up sounding a lot like our new American dub's Zarbon and Freeza, actually. Lastly, and I forgot if I mentioned this already, but Dale Wilson is not doing Cell in this dub as far as I was told. He said he heard rumors of it, but never did any recording. If they're "done" with recording this dub (which I assume is the original 98 episodes and NOT any of the "Final Chapters" stuff) then Cell is probably different too.

Also, just as a general note to those of you who talk to any of the Vancouver actors about this stuff, I can say with confidence that none of them are gonna be able to give you a release date or business-related info onto when this dub is coming out or why it exists at all. They're actors; they almost never have those kind of answers - at no fault of their own, they're just doing their job and that's it. THE MYSTERY CONTINUES

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Richard Ian Cox...this guy played Android 17 in the Westwood dub, right ? (I've never watched the Inuyasha english version so...).
sangofe wrote:The french dub had great voices, though, and Kai's mostly great now (apart from occasional script fucks-ups) ;)
The acting is great, yes.About the french Kai version, I've just watched the famous "Vegeta's Speech" to Goku and Kaio Shin, wow, that's what I call a good job. :shock: Amazing, really...but I'm pretty sure that you've already watched it. :lol:

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm

@sangofe: From what I've heard of the French Kai dub, I've liked everyone except Freeza (I checked out the 'Terror Beyond the Horrors of Hell' scene).

@Kirbopher: I'm glad to hear Dale Wilson is most likely not Cell and that Zarbon is going to be in a similar vain as Tatum's!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Will Ian Cox have a deep vocal, soft or high-ish (sorta emulating Kelamis/Masako) pitch for Goku? What does he sound for other characters that he voiced?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray