Top speed of the greatest warriors in the series?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Top speed of the greatest warriors in the series?

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 pm

I actually just the other day got to thinking about this subject. With Battle of Gods having come out we most certainly got some very specific new information and it made me wonder if anyone had tried to make any sort of calculations. Without the use of teleporting, at least in the english dub Whis specified that it would take approximately 26 minutes to travel from Beerus's temple all the way to King Kai's planet, and from there it would only take them 3 minutes to reach the earth. Now as far as I'm aware i dont believe it has been specified as to where exactly within the universe that Beerus and Whis reside though if anyone should know it would be the awesome folks in this community but regardless we should have a much clearer idea of how far it is from King Kai's to the earth. Ben and Chad did their calculations for Goku's speed when he ran back along snake way and used the whole 28 hours travel time thing for the trip. So for Beerus an Whis to cut that down to 3 minutes, and without having to teleport from the check in station or anything its pretty clear they racked up some serious speed. Even without knowing exactly where they started their journey i think we can safely assume they managed to cover a very massive portion of the universe in a very very short amount of time. Anyway pretty much what i was getting at originally was has anyone actually sat down and figured this sort of thing out yet or given it any serious thought? I think it would be really cool and interesting to see the sort of progress the best characters in the series have made respectively from the start of Z to the end.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Top speed of the greatest warriors in the series?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:39 pm

That was a feat of Whis' staff. It's noted in the Choezenshu entry under Whis' staff that while using it he could accomplish those speed feats.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

RancorSnp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RancorSnp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 am

Looks like Images are gone from this post for a very long time now, still this probably covers a lot of what you wanted to know :

http://www.comicvine.com/dragon-balls/4 ... rs-649740/

(Yeah, lack of images ruins it a little)

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 pm

BoG: They're 5 digit ftl: Whis said Beerus can destroy the solar system in an instant. Assuming an instant = 1 second (which should be way more than an instant considering their reaction time) he would have to be about 20,000x ftl.

Before BoG: They're either

A) single digit ftl by the end of the Namek arc with KK scaling and Piccolo's moon busting blast.

or

B) about 4% the speed of light http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=19280 (basically Gotenks circling around the Earth takes at the most 24 seconds since the Earth doesn't show any rotation in the scan).
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 pm

True answer... As fast as Akira Toriyama want's them to be!! Your welcome. Any more questions? :lol:

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Could I say near subrelativistic or hypersonic? Not much of a reason exactly, just throwing it.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 pm

What if we count Anime Feats or Movie or GT?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Slower than sound, otherwise sonic booms would be created whenever they move (excepting the few scenes in space).

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 am

Rocketman wrote:Slower than sound, otherwise sonic booms would be created whenever they move (excepting the few scenes in space).
Couldn't the aura around them be called a sonic boom when they travel at high speed?

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Nikkolas wrote:What if we count Anime Feats or Movie or GT?
Anime has them confirmed ftl on Namek since King Kai couldn't keep up with the SSJ Goku vs Freeza fight but he kept up with Goku's spaceship and Vegeta's final flash went to some other galaxy or something. Movie 5 has http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=19399 and GT has a bunch of uncalced ftl feats.
Rocketman wrote:Slower than sound, otherwise sonic booms would be created whenever they move (excepting the few scenes in space).
Snakeway is mach 27 :yawn:
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Couldn't the aura around them be called a sonic boom when they travel at high speed?
No, a sonic boom is a sharp nice that happens when you accelerate through the speed of sound. A whipcrack is the most common one.
xmysticgohanx wrote:Snakeway is mach 27 :yawn:
Snake Way is in the afterlife.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Tao pai pai is mach 14 and DB characters have been dodging bullets for a long time
Kai >>> Z

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

You can't ask real world physics based questions or base how fast they are off subtle real world physics. The physics (when consistent, outside of obvious gag stuff) are based off Toriyama "common sense". When Toriyama specifically addresses stuff like km and minutes, then that is bringing a real world concept in, and you can work out how fast they are from that, but it doesn't mean that all sorts of complex physics issues like shockwave turbulence and so on that he never addressed should be brought in too, because Toriyama wouldn't have been thinking of them beyond a basic level.

Stuff like Tao Pai Pai being back in half and hour and we are given the actual distance, or the Snake Way travel, or Beerus saying how long they'd take to cross the galaxy (or so I hear third hand) are reasonable because the assumptions of a certain level of speed are built into the way the scenes are written, but working out how fast they are by bringing in calculations based on how much the Earth moved while afterimages were shown, or how fast a character would have to be to disappear based on human perception, or actual projectile calculations (I've seen this to give a higher minimum speed to the Tao feat) is just bringing in stuff that Toriyama would have never gave a crap about, and therefore is never really going to be consistent. How fast they are should be based on stuff Toriyama stated or implicitly calculated himself when giving a distance and then a time.