Beerus' relationship with Frieza

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Beerus' relationship with Frieza

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 pm

We know from BoGs that Beerus somehow knew Frieza. He also apparently knew King Vegeta.

-Why did Beerus not destroy Frieza or his planet? (Or for that matter King Vegeta) He has presumably met them both in person yet neither offended him in any way? He destroys planets over pudding for crying out loud.

-Did Frieza know Beerus was stronger than him? That would contradict a lot that has been established regarding Frieza's character. A related question is whether Frieza was aware of the Gods and how strong they were.

-Was Frieza working for Beerus when he destroyed planet Vegeta, or was Beerus just lucky that they both had the same goal?
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Beerus' relationship with Freeza

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm

I think Beerus takes things out when there's some sort of imbalance. Maybe it was just bad timing when he visited. Things were still in order.

As for Freeza... considering how things play out when Toriyama just adds things to the story, I would think to hard on why Freeza was still the way he was.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:-Was Freeza working for Beerus when he destroyed planet Vegeta, or was Beerus just lucky that they both had the same goal?
I don't believe Freeza was working for Beerus, the god was just allowing him to continue doing what he was doing because the cat probably didn't want to bother doing his job. The guides do state that he is capricious and will let others act in his stead, though it makes no mention of whether this is any sort of formal agreement he makes with them or just something he lets happen. Dragon Ball Minus still has Freeza deciding to destroy the Saiyans for his fear of their possible strength if let unchecked though, as well as the legend of the Super Saiyans (and God, for some pointless reason).
Kroni_Hunter wrote:-Why did Beerus not destroy Freeza or his planet? (Or for that matter King Vegeta) He has presumably met them both in person yet neither offended him in any way? He destroys planets over pudding for crying out loud.
Because Freeza was doing some of his work for him and Beerus took advantage of that? The film tells us that Beerus didn't like Freeza and considered killing him the next time they met. The same kinda goes for King Vegeta. The king was tolerant enough to throw a banquet for Beerus and even suffer as his footstool, so Beerus let them be. But it's still implied that Beerus didn't like the Saiyans ether, as he mentioned wanting to destroy them...if not for the distance (though Whis' staff doesn't take too much time, so I guess he can be REALLY cat-lazy on occasion).
Kroni_Hunter wrote:-Did Freeza know Beerus was stronger than him? That would contradict a lot that has been established regarding Freeza's character. A related question is whether Freeza was aware of the Gods and how strong they were.
Do we even know if Freeza and Beerus have ever actually met? I would assume so based on the fact that he's met with King Vegeta and mentions not liking him, but I don't think it ever says for certain. Maybe Beerus only met with King Vegeta because he was about to blow up the planet, but the king's hospitality spared them for the time being, and likewise, he hadn't gotten around to meeting with Freeza on such a subject yet? His dislike of him could be based on reputation and the general actions Beerus and Whis have witnessed from him afar?

If they have met though, maybe Beers introduced himself and Freeza's scouters couldn't pick up his Divine Ki, so he just erred on the side of caution? Maybe they actually discussed Beerus' role in the universe (but not any of the others, because that's not any of Freeza's business) and how he wouldn't stand in Freeza's way because it's not his place to serve justice or anything like that? So Freeza basically just ignored his existence when talking about ruling the universe and everything like that?

I dunno. This is a more complicated question without more info.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 am

I think the case is just like with the Kaioshins(or simply with the East Kaioshin). East Kaioshin was enough strong to beat Frieza, but did nothing with him because he didn't threaten the whole universe balance. Beerus just didn't bother himself with lower being like Frieza who was really arrogant though, but he didn't do anything stupid to make the Hakaishin angry enough to destroy him, even if they met each other personally. The only thing that bothers me how did Beerus know that Goku couldn't beat Frieza in base, if Frieza didn't really show his true form or 4th form to anyone other than his father and Goku? Or Beerus simply was able to snese him from that distance when he occasionally transformed into 4th form's 100%? Or Whis told him how powerful is he?
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 am

I believe Beerus may have established the entire Freeza empire to cause destruction for him while he's sleeping. I also like to think that Freeza had at least one other relative, and that guy (or guys) died attacking Beerus when their family met him.
酷签名

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:40 am

Until we know more, I personally just go with the idea that Beerus knew of Freeza (possibly even through King Vegeta?) and never actually met him. I just can't imagine any kind of scenario where Freeza, presented with Beerus's attitude, wouldn't have pissed off the God and gotten himself killed. Not to say Toriyama won't present us with something that says otherwise later, but for now...

And agreed on Minus's mention of Super Saiyan God being stupid. That's really the only thing about Minus that I can't wrap my head around - for the Saiyans to have forgotten this concept but Freeza to know about it just seems...weird.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Freeza was pissed off that a "mere monkey" could be stronger than him. Maybe the idea of an actual God being stronger is much more palatable to him.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Plus those monkeys actually were around, treating his power directly. Beerus on the other hand appeared, disappeared and everything went along. Especially if there were no witness on Freeza's side and nobody actually knew about stronger being.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food