Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 pm

Zombie wrote:The good:

- Freeza is F back!!
- More Beerus and Whis.
- Vegeta's bigger role.
- Piccolo and Krillin seem to have a bigger role (please let Piccolo have a bigger fighting role, it's been too long since he had one)

The bad:

- Gohan's new look.
- The wait.
I think Piccolo will at least beat one of the henchmen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
Zombie wrote:The good:

- Freeza is F back!!
- More Beerus and Whis.
- Vegeta's bigger role.
- Piccolo and Krillin seem to have a bigger role (please let Piccolo have a bigger fighting role, it's been too long since he had one)

The bad:

- Gohan's new look.
- The wait.
I think Piccolo will at least beat one of the henchmen.
I hope so. I also hope the movie can gives us more info on where he stands power wise. I hope he gets haxed again. :)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote: The Earth's Dragon Balls can wish back people if they have been dead less then a year. Freeza has been dead for at least 15 years by now.
If you're meaning what I'm pretty sure you're meaning here, then this never was a problem. I mean, they offered to bring back Grandpa Gohan, remember? The year restriction only applies to large groups of people.
My guess it's Beerus who makes the wish since he was such a fan of Freeza, or Whiz somehow bends space and time and gets Freeza back... OR Freeza soul is hanging out with Beerus and is brought back to the plain of the living and makes the wish himself.... the speculation continues.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Zombie wrote: I hope so. I also hope the movie can gives us more info on where he stands power wise. I hope he gets haxed again. :)
It's been too long since we've had some good Piccolo hax.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:11 pm

So Goten gets to be on the cover of something without Trunks next to him (which is a rarity)... :(

And Trunks, the one who KILLED Freeza, isn't on the cover of a movie about the resurrection of Freeza? :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:11 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:
Vegeta swore he would be the next Super Saiyan God and from the events of BOG, I think we can all say he's pure enough to become one. Freeza was the one who molded him into twice the ruthless, evil and bitter warrior he became prior to meeting Goku. We saw in the Freeza arc the emotional trauma and suffering Freeza brought to him, but we never really dug deep enough into it. Plus Vegeta never got his revenge and poetic justice with Freeza. Goku defeated him and Trunks killed him (while both times should've been Vegeta but due to shonen and plot purposes he wasn't)
This shows what a geniuses writer Toriyama is.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku's beatdown was far more humiliating than anything Toei put him through. He's the only main villain who doesn't even get to put up a decently close fight in his final battle (unless you count Pilaf and Red). The others very nearly won, from Daimao to Buu. Freeza just gets curb stomped, and then brought back only to be curb stomped again.
Freeza still at least got in a few decent hits:
Goku didn't completely steamroll him. Trunks definitely did, but that was when his status as a major villain was set to be replaced by the Androids. At the same time, humiliating Freeza served a narrative purpose in each of these cases. They represented the fall of a tyrant at the hands of the Super Saiyans he had feared for so long. Toei's use of him later on was what I would call fan wank, letting the heroes use him as a punching bag.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote: The Earth's Dragon Balls can wish back people if they have been dead less then a year. Freeza has been dead for at least 15 years by now.
If you're meaning what I'm pretty sure you're meaning here, then this never was a problem. I mean, they offered to bring back Grandpa Gohan, remember? The year restriction only applies to large groups of people.
My guess it's Beerus who makes the wish since he was such a fan of Freeza, or Whiz somehow bends space and time and gets Freeza back... OR Freeza soul is hanging out with Beerus and is brought back to the plain of the living and makes the wish himself.... the speculation continues.
We already know it's those two remnants of his empire. Nothing special here.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

sintzu wrote: At the end of BOG Vegeta said he would use the form against whoever comes next.

Looking at Freeza's aura you can tell he at least has some kind of god power.
Unless Videl is still pregnant or they plan on dragging an infant Pan along with them to the battles, I don't see how Vegeta becomes a SSJ God

Freeza's aura could mean anything.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

In all fairness, the battle with Freeza is probably the longest battle in the history of animation. I mean, I think it is like 4 hours long without cutaways. Damn.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Edit: This thread is getting posts so fast I was asked to edit mine in light of new posts twice in less than ten seconds. Or maybe that's just dumb luck.

So the bad news this this is the point where I change my bookmark to go straight to the forums; I want to go into this one relatively blind.

But that's the only bad news. Freeza is a big fat hairy deal in the grand scheme of this series, love him or hate him, and the remnants of his band/army (it really goes both ways, doesn't it?) is a narrative gift that keeps on giving. Its to the surprise of no one and delight of all that Beerus and Whis are back, and I like all the new design bits- Yamcha gets the track suit!

One sticking point though. At this rate, the movie should be placed post-ending and be done with it. You cannot really take insisting the movies happen prior to the 28th tournament seriously when Battle of Gods basically tells us most of the cast is going to age like crazy in five years. There's nothing to lose and giving a direction to Uub to gain.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:15 pm

People thinking this movie will suck
Don't forget that Torishima himself even praised it

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:15 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
Freeza still at least got in a few decent hits:
And keep in mind at that point Frieza was weaken by the genki dama so at full power Goku would have had a lot more trouble with him.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote: At the end of BOG Vegeta said he would use the form against whoever comes next.

Looking at Freeza's aura you can tell he at least has some kind of god power.
Unless Videl is still pregnant or they plan on dragging an infant Pan along with them to the battles, I don't see how Vegeta becomes a SSJ God

Freeza's aura could mean anything.
His brother could come help out with that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:Don't forget that Torishima himself even praised it
And that guy from what i read doesn't like anything so that speaks volumes about the movie's quality.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:18 pm

only that, he controlled an empire bigger than we ever saw in the series ever before or SINCE!
Not really. He was just a thug with a convenient group of followers. He didn't have an empire, he had a band of pirates and some uninhabited real estate that he plundered.
I do think Buu and Babidi don't fall short here either, but Freeza has "IT" over the like of Buu with multiple characteristics and character history that makes Freeza a much greater foe
All forms of Buu have more back story than Freeza does, and with the exception of Pure Buu, have more personality than him as well.
My favorite part of the manga was when Kaioshin called himself a little bitch. I love that chapter!
He actually did, just unintentionally ("oh shit, they've got fucking PUI PUI!").
Freeza was hardly curbstomped. Hell, 3/4 of the entire battle between Goku and Freeza, Goku was getting his ass kicked. Even when Goku transformed in a SSJ and the tides turned in the battle, Freeza still put up one hell a fight and if wasn't for the fact the Freeza's 100% Final Form was draining his stamina immensely, it really would have gone the distance with Goku winning but just barely.
That's simply wrong. Freeza only got in 2-3 hits, none of which did any lasting damage to Goku (the most he managed was busting Goku's lip and giving him an "ow" face while stunning him very briefly). By contrast, Goku landed 9-10, all of which inflicted heavy injury, leaving him a bruised and bloody wreck by the end of the battle. A single jab from him made Freeza vomit blood. For Kami's sake, he sat there and let Freeza beat on him just so he could troll Freeza by pretending to be hurt before smiling and calling him weak.
Freeza only lost the way he did against Future Trunks is because Trunks is very pragmatic in battle and loves using sneak attacks.
No, he lost because Freeza was garbage by that point in the story. That was the whole point of the scene; Trunks outright told him to power up to 100%, and was still confident curb-stomping him that way (he might not have been considering the Mecha power-up, but that wasn't the point). Freeza scoffing at him and then getting killed in one hit, if anything, just makes him look more pathetic.
Well, its nice that you would just assume things about people you don't know. A lot of that is really incidental to Freeza, not necessarily against him specifically. At any rate, I think I'm done talking about this.
Stuff like him scoffing at Trunks and then getting one-shotted and begging for mercy from the guy who just kicked the shit out of him seem very specific to Freeza.
I was always under the impression that the purpose of such moments was to convey just how far everyone had come along, how strong these new guys were, etc. The point was to lift another character up, not put Freeza down. Sure, Freeza has to move down for another to move up, but the focal point of the relation seemed to be intended to be the upward movement of a character rather than the downward movement of Freeza.

I mean, there's a reason he's a good measuring stick - he was essentially the most powerful mortal being in the living realm, until an alien prophecy was realized and turned into a commodity.
See, I would believe that if he was just given the treatment all the other past villains were. He'd put up a damn good fight and almost win in the final battle, and while someone would surpass him in the next arc, they wouldn't be overt or insulting about it. A good example is Daimao. The series makes it clear that Piccolo and Goku are way stronger than Daimao by the 23rd Budokai, but they don't take it to Freeza levels of mockery. If Daimao had gotten the same treatment as Freeza, he would have first gotten painfully curb stomped after Goku drank the water, rather than fighting evenly with him. He would hit himself with his own attack because he's a moron, despite Goku actually taking pity on him because of how much of a joke he is and trying to help him avoid it. He would then cry and beg for mercy, be a moron again, and get blown away. In the next arc, he would have showed up at the 23rd Budokai and talked shit only to get one-shotted and trash-talked by Tenshinhan. In the arc after that, Chaozu would call Daimao weak and casually mention that he can kill him in one hit.

Cell is another good example; he comes very close to winning that beam struggle with Gohan. By the Buu arc, Goku says they can handle him now, but he never says "yeah, Cell is totally weak, even a guy way weaker than the guy who's way weaker than me can kill him in one hit", and, unlike Freeza, Cell gets a stand-in who gets one-shotted by the new guy on the block rather than getting one-shotted himself. And said new guy is actually the main villain rather than a mid level side character who is immediately shown afterwards to be irrelevant garbage. Plus, Toriyama showing him to be dumb and cowardly on top of being weak can't really be explained by power scaling.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Eddie wrote:His brother could come help out with that.
Or at the start of the movie he already has the form and him and Goku are training with Beerus and Whis.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Attitudefan wrote:In all fairness, the battle with Freeza is probably the longest battle in the history of animation. I mean, I think it is like 4 hours long without cutaways. Damn.
Well 4hr13m:44s if this video is correct lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvgKUSR8Ss

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Damn I hoped the person in green was Yamcha. I'd like Trunks to be in the movie as an adult or just to be seen by Freeza since Freeza may believe he's the same Trunks who killed him. Don't really want Gohan, or Goten in the movie since it's painfully clear they're lost causes at this point, whom have nothing to bring but being jobbers for the bad guy to beat up. Next Gen be damned, they're time killers at this point and nothing more.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:In all fairness, the battle with Freeza is probably the longest battle in the history of animation. I mean, I think it is like 4 hours long without cutaways. Damn.
Well 4hr13m:44s if this video is correct lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvgKUSR8Ss
Yup, without filler or cutaways. It's over 4 hours. With all the filler and cutaways it's probably around 5 hours, maybe even more.