Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 pm

starting with Goku & His Friends Return?

Not counting GT, the story should've ended with the Kid Buu saga. There's no need to continue on adding to the lore, revealing randomly that Vegeta has a little brother that adds numerous plot holes, and then randomly making Bardock the legendary Super Saiyan fighting Frieza's ancestor that adds numerous plotholes, and then randomly coming up with these "god" characters who are once again more powerful than anyone the Z fighters have ever faced before, that adds numerous plot holes.

They are milking the series to death by adding to the story. It bothers the fuck outta me. I say the same thing for the Harry Potter franchise - I see comments on facebook reading "I want more movies!" Like, give it a rest! The Harry Potter franchise while not flawless is phenomenal, I don't want it to turn into another non stop cash cow which is becoming now with the Fantastic Beasts film (although I am kinda intrigued and excited about it). Although they can do it if they want obviously, and it'll work, just look at the Call of Duty franchise.

So now the word is that Frieza will be the villain of the (yet again ANOTHER) DragonballZ film. Oh, so what will the story be this time? He's back, and by some unknown force, is stronger than ever before and needs more than one ssj "god" to defeat him, or a fusion of the two or whatever...

...and that's another thing. Not only are they milking the DBZ franchise, but they are also milking the elements of the lore particularly the best thing about the lore which is the genetic potential of the saiyans and their SSJ ability. Originally SSJ3 was the strongest a saiyan could be, and now they add this "god" shit to it... so is there also a super namek "god" and a super human "god" and a super Frieza race "god" and all this fucking nonsense? Or is it just SSJ God that's fucking retconned into the lore? If you ask me, that is ruining the fundamental and origin of the "Super Saiyan," because as A.T was writing it, it was supposed to be all about the underdog of a species, belonging to one which suffered a genocide at the hands of an evil and powerful tyrant, who faces off against him. And ever since the "Super Saiyan" transformation has been revealed, fans have always clamored with fanart and theories of how far it could go. Then we had SSJ4 which just made people want to play and toy with the idea even more. But SSJ4 and GT overall don't really bother me much because you can hate it or love it, and also interpret it as possible non-canon if you want it to.

And it also seriously bothers me why so many people are genuinely excited for this shit. Can you not see how they're milking and destroying DBZ? The same goes with Harry Potter. Not getting into that because its off topic completely of this forum, but I hope I got my point across.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:33 pm

I vehemently disagree with everything you said, and feel that the current system of producing new movies every couple of years is the best way of keeping the franchise alive and relevant for the current generation.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I vehemently disagree with everything you said, and feel that the current system of producing new movies every couple of years is the best way of keeping the franchise alive and relevant for the current generation.
And I'm vehemently sure there's millions of others just like you.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Dragon Ball, the original 42-volume run, can never be ruined. Unless you can burn every physical copy, delete every digital file, and erase the memories of everyone who enjoyed it, it is there; it stands on it's own, and is beautiful.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I vehemently disagree with everything you said, and feel that the current system of producing new movies every couple of years is the best way of keeping the franchise alive and relevant for the current generation.
And I'm vehemently sure there's millions of others just like you.
"Vehemently" doesn't really work in that context, but yes, I'm sure there are. Plenty of people have liked the new movie, and there's obviously been enough positive feedback for them to produce another one.

The benefit of this being a series that has already completed its initial run is that you can feel free to ignore any of the new stuff that is coming out.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 pm

The way I see it is if that you've got everything you want already, then just ignore the rest.
I honestly don't see anything wrong with "milking the franchise" as it keeps Dragon Ball fresh with new ideas to explore and gets more people into the Dragon Ball fandom.
I can understand where you're coming from though. The designs for Dragon Ball Heroes in my opinion are really stupid looking to me what with the Super 16/17 fusion and SSJ4 Brolly, but that doesn't matter because I just don't include it in what I consider my Dragon Ball universe. Also again, while I don't like Dragon Ball Heroes, I'm glad it exists because it brings a new audience into the Dragon Ball franchise.
Last edited by dae428 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:42 pm

B wrote:Dragon Ball, the original 42-volume run, can never be ruined. Unless you can burn every physical copy, delete every digital file, and erase the memories of everyone who enjoyed it, it is there; it stands on it's own, and is beautiful.
I think this sums it up pretty well (and is then made hilarious when reading your sig quote right after something so profound :lol: ). That and, let's face it - if Dragon Ball Evolution didn't kill the franchise, nothing will. Nothing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:45 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
And it also seriously bothers me why so many people are genuinely excited for this shit.
This is the only thing I agree with you on, even though I'm 50/50 on the story idea. Like, why the hell is Toriyama bringing Frieza back for? I get that he's "The Joker" of the series, but he's outclassed by EVERYBODY(even the fucking humans), the Saiyan stuff has been done to death now, AND there's nothing to move forward with regarding the saiyan backstory, other than Beerus being involved. I wished the story would be based on either reviving the original Saiyan or traveling the 12 universes, or better, AFTER GT or a series on a different DB universe.

Other than that, the rest of the things you said, I strongly disagree. I thought that BoG could be a strong beginning of the end(before EoZ&GT) and the backstories of Beerus and SSG made sense.
Last edited by EXBadguy on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm

I don't like Tarble Character and DB Minus. So I just dont care about them.
Problem solved.
Kamiccolo9 wrote: The benefit of this being a series that has already completed its initial run is that you can feel free to ignore any of the new stuff that is coming out.
This so much!! If you don't like you can always ignore it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:48 pm

I know I can ignore everything that came after the manga run, BUT, the reason me ignoring it is not the same as not acknowledging its importance to the franchise is because they're canon. Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon? Which means whether or not I choose to acknowledge or ignore them, they matter and are a part of the story in the manga.

Kamiccolo9, I know vehemently didn't fit in that sentence but I find hard to believe you couldn't see any of the other points I touched upon in my post besides just the milking of DBZ.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:52 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote: Kamiccolo9, I know vehemently didn't fit in that sentence but I find hard to believe you couldn't see any of the other points I touched upon in my post besides just the milking of DBZ.
Because most of the other points you brought up have had parallels in the series itself, so they don't particularly bother me. You might as well be complaining about SSJ2 being a thing after SSJ was said to be the strongest in the universe.

As for your canon complaint, Dragon Ball does not have an official canon. This isn't Star Wars. Feel free to ignore whatever you want.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote: Kamiccolo9, I know vehemently didn't fit in that sentence but I find hard to believe you couldn't see any of the other points I touched upon in my post besides just the milking of DBZ.
Because most of the other points you brought up have had parallels in the series itself, so they don't particularly bother me. You might as well be complaining about SSJ2 being a thing after SSJ was said to be the strongest in the universe.

As for your canon complaint, Dragon Ball does not have an official canon. This isn't Star Wars. Feel free to ignore whatever you want.
So are you saying all Battle of Gods is, is the #14 DBZ movie in the list after #13 Wrath of the Dragon?

And no, I did not at all see SSJ2 ruining the genetic potential in saiyan DNA. That happened for me only with BOG.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

So are you saying all Battle of Gods is, is the #14 DBZ movie in the list after #13 Wrath of the Dragon?

And no, I did not at all see SSJ2 ruining the genetic potential in saiyan DNA. That happened for me only with BOG.
Battle of Gods is Dragon Ball Z Movie 14, yes. What that entails beyond that is up to you.

That's a distinction you choose to make. I see no difference between the introduction of SSJ2, SSJ3, and SSJ God.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Battle of Gods is Dragon Ball Z Movie 14, yes. What that entails beyond that is up to you.

That's a distinction you choose to make. I see no difference between the introduction of SSJ2, SSJ3, and SSJ God.
okay. well that makes me feel slightly better.

and bro, putting the name "god" in front of SSJ is a huge difference than putting an order of numbers there.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:06 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

and bro, putting the name "god" in front of SSJ is a huge difference than putting an order of numbers there.
God comes after Super Saiyan, not before. :P

In terms of it "invalidating what was meant to be the strongest a Saiyan could possibly be," it is no different than Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, the grades, Full Power Super Saiyan, Legendary Super Saiyan, Fusion, Super Saiyan 4, and whatever else you want to throw on there.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Forever alone my friend, forever alone... :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

God comes after Super Saiyan, not before. :P

In terms of it "invalidating what was meant to be the strongest a Saiyan could possibly be," it is no different than Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, the grades, Full Power Super Saiyan, Legendary Super Saiyan, Fusion, Super Saiyan 4, and whatever else you want to throw on there.
You know what I mean man.

Well then is the saiyan species the only one capable of becoming "godly"? I don't like that notion at all. And it's not even *just* about how strong a saiyan could be, but how strong anyone can get in the DBU. So SSJ3 lost to Beerus by a flick of a finger. We didn't know nothin' about Beerus before BOG. So how do we know that somewhere out there in the DBU there is some alien even more powerful than Beerus who can defeat him by a flick of the finger? Which would mean there are beings greater than a "god" and to me, there is no such thing. And one that can defeat him? And him? And him? And him? Do you see where I'm getting at here? Endless fucking power levels.

ExBadguy, I also don't think the Beerus and SSG backstories made sense at all. One of the plot holes of BOG was Vegeta being aware of him all this time. But all Vegeta ever strived for in the series was to become SSJ, not SSJG.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:Well then is the saiyan species the only one capable of becoming "godly"? I don't like that notion at all.
We don't know! You're writing things off before you know anything at all.
i'mfuckingevil wrote:One of the plot holes of BOG was Vegeta being aware of him all this time. But all Vegeta ever strived for in the series was to become SSJ, not SSJG.
Vegeta struggled to remember Beerus. He didn't ever seem to know about Super Saiyan God at all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:15 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote: You know what I mean man.

Well then is the saiyan species the only one capable of becoming "godly"? I don't like that notion at all. And it's not even *just* about how strong a saiyan could be, but how strong anyone can get in the DBU. So SSJ3 lost to Beerus by a flick of a finger. We didn't know nothin' about Beerus before BOG. So how do we know that somewhere out there in the DBU there is some alien even more powerful than Beerus who can defeat him by a flick of the finger? And one that can defeat him? And him? And him? And him? Do you see where I'm getting at here? Endless fucking power levels. And if Beerus is supposed to be a "god" would means there are beings greater than a "god" and to me, there is no such thing.

ExBadguy, I also don't think the Beerus and SSG backstories made sense at all. One of the plot holes of BOG was Vegeta being aware of him all this time. But all Vegeta ever strived for in the series was to become SSJ, not SSJG.
Who says it is?
Maybe there is? I don't see the problem, as long as the series can properly explain it. They did an adequate job with Beerus, so I'm not concerned on that front for the time being.

You are looking at "god" in the wrong context. Look through mythology; gods are overcome by other beings all the time.

As for your last point, Vegeta wasn't aware of SSJG; he just recognized Beerus. He didn't have a clue how strong Beerus was until Kaio told him that he had defeated Goku.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Series is far from being milked.

It only ran for 11 years.. then there was a what? 11 year gap before any new material at all? And that's if you include GT.

You want milked? Look at video games like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed.