Tanooki's Laser Disk Adventure

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Tanooki's Laser Disk Adventure

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Ok, I don't know why I bid on such useless crap on Ebay. Recently I won an auction for a lot of DragonBall laser discs. I don't plan on ever buying a LD player so why buy these? No clue. It's just one of those things you bid on where the next day your like "Oh my God why did I bid on laser discs last night?" But they were 20 bucks so... :?

So they come today and aparently in the lot was Pioneer's Dead Zone. Now I had no clue it was released on LD wich makes this even cooler.

Its pretty cool cause the graphics for the cover\back art are the same as the VHS and DVD but being this cover is huge, you can see everything in better detail, wich is kinda cool.

Then I went through the rest of them. In all I had recieved movies 7,8,10,12 and the Pioneer LD. Iam pretty sure these are official Toei DVD's because it has a logo for "Toei Laser Disc".

The covers are pretty cool, so are the back images...

So what Iam I going to do with these? Probley put them on Ebay with a detailed discription and charge 20 a piece. Who knows, I've done it before. Funny thing is that one had a price tag sticker of $95.00 and another with a $100.00 price tag. Did people really pay that much for these things? I mean even though the disc is huge, most of these movies are in two parts. One part on one side and the rest on the other. I even took a picture to compare a LD size to a DVD size. Its pretty amazing that they could fit like 5 - 6 (probley more) episodes on one DVD disc, but this huge LD can only fit like half a movie.

So, in the end I decided not to sell ALL of them. I had a record frame (a frame that can display a record to hang on your wall). So I chucked out the old Frank Sinatra record and put it away and put in the Dead Zone LD. This was always one of my favorate box art images, and now it hangs right above my TV. :lol:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:33 pm

I remember seeing those laserdiscs in a japanese shop in Little Tokyo here in CA.

I would have bought them if I had a laserdisc player and now they no longer have them anymore. :(

KameHouse

Post by KameHouse » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Very cool I have some of those as well, but then again I have over 100 laser disc's as I collect them!

They take up a lot of space but I just cant find it in my heart to get rid of them, and my player still works so its all good.
Come on inside....the Kame House.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 pm

Wow, I never knew laserdiscs were so big in comparison to DVDs. Sorry for the lame comment/question, but I'm guessing the whole Laserdisc vs. DVD thing was kinda like the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD thing now?

Kinda off topic, but the TV in my room sucks. Not only does it have a built in VCR (kinda cool, I guess), but the cable's not even hooked up to it! I mainly just use it for watching old tapes and DVDs...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:17 pm

Haha, putting them on display. Splendid idea. Afterall, there comes a time when we stop being consumers and start becoming collectors. I know that's the only reason I still buy the action figures. ....Really! I haven't played with those guys since....ehh, I'll make it up to them somehow.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Even if you did have a Laserdisc player, I've heard that movies were region-locked like DVDs are nowadays.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:46 pm

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE FRANK SINATRA RECORD?

Heh, but those are some nice packages you've got there. When I get a job and have tons of money to spare, I might consider buying them from somewhere... :lol:

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:42 pm

Well, I myself am an owner of the Tree of Might LD, and I still keep it sealed. And even though also have that movie (along with two others) on both VHS and DVD, just like Tanooki, I only keep the Tree of Might laserdisc for the sake of posterity. Since LD's are rare nowadays, anyway.

P.S: On a little personal note, I just noticed that I've went up in rank today. Hooray for me!

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Laserdisc predates DVD by nearly twenty years.
Where's the beef?

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:21 pm

So...Am I right in saying a Laserdisc is like a DVD?
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:39 pm

So...Am I right in saying a Laserdisc is like a DVD?
No, you'd be wrong. LD's can't hold nearly as much as a DVD.

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:53 pm

So its like a pre-evolved DVD?
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:59 pm

So its like a pre-evolved DVD?
I suppose so. They been around since the 70's so they were kind of out dated by the 1990's. You should just read this, it'll answer all your questions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_disc

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Heh pretty envious.

They look awesome!

I'll have to look around to see if I can get such a bargain.

Will have to find the player too, haven't even heard of them untill this post.
- Scott

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Heh pretty envious.

They look awesome!

I'll have to look around to see if I can get such a bargain.

Well if you want, I put the ones I didn't want on Ebay. Actually, all but Pioneer's LD is up.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtanookijoeQQhtZ-1

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:26 pm

I have that "Dead Zone" laserdisc too. Bought mine on eBay also. I think I paid around $15-$20 for it, not including shipping. That was a decade ago! Laser discs were HUGE before the DVD came out. Don't forget that. a lot of people, including one of my uncle's, started collectiong them too. So I'm not suprised that those two actually sold for over $90 once.

Congrats Tanooki! You came up big time man. Don't EVER sell/trade them!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Strong Bad wrote:The [Tanooki]'s playin' something on a Laserdisc. Everything is better on Laserdisc. Whatever happened to the Laserdisc? Laserdisc!
I'm sorry. I had an irrepressible silliness urge.

[/off-ish topic]

Anyhoo, thumbs-up for the find, Tanook.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:53 pm

Maker777 wrote:So its like a pre-evolved DVD?
Well, if you can call vinyls "pre-evolved CDs", then yeah. Laser Discs are "pre-evolved DVDs" alright. Most definately. :P

KameHouse

Post by KameHouse » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:16 am

Hey Tanooki any chance in accepting money orders on those LD's so I can bid on em'?
Come on inside....the Kame House.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 am

Interesting, so what hardware would you use to play such a behemoth disc?
Singer, actor, chiropractor!