Why Does Daimao Explode?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Why Does Daimao Explode?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 am

So as I posted in the purchases thread, I just got in some more VizBigs, and I was flipping through one a bit ago and saw the always awesome defeat of Daimao...but for some reason, something occurred to me that's never before occurred to me when watching it in anime form. After Goku plows right through him, leaving that gaping hole in his chest and Piccolo barfs out his final egg...why in the heck does he explode? I mean, I get that in a real world perspective, it's for dramatic effect, but for an in-universe reason...just...why? I would normally make a guess that he self destructed in the hopes the explosion would be big enough to take out Goku, but that makes no sense with what he wants his final kid to do.

So...yeah. What's the deal here?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why Does Daimao Explode?

Post by Angelus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am

Yeah, he's supposed to be able to regenerate that hole. But I'm assuming that when he spit out that egg, all of the power he had left was put in the egg, so he wouldn't have enough ki to regenerate that hole. You need ki to regenerate. When Nail regenerated his arm, because Frieza ripped it off, Frieza said that Nail's power decreased. Apparently, regenerating a limb, for Namekians, use up ki. The same way firing ki blasts uses up ki. The way I see it, it was for dramatic effect. King Piccolo wouldn't have enough energy to do a self-destruct technique if he put all of his remaining ki into that egg. Self-destructing takes up ki too, the same way Saiyan Saga Vegeta attempted a non-fatal self-destruct technique but didn't have enough ki for the attack to have enough "punch" to it.

If he did have enough ki to spare, and didn't put all of it in the egg, then him exploding could be his self-destruct technique.
Last edited by Angelus on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am

Toriyama felt like it.

I suppose one could say he blew up so that any remnants of his spirit or ki or whathaveyou could fill the egg. It would be as if his body was no devoid of his essence so it turned to sand or some such?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:19 am

Because Toriyama unintentionally channeled Michael Bay. Plus he's always been big about bad guys being exploded, though usually the good guys have the power to cause the explosion to happen.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:40 am

Since he put his soul/essence in the egg he spat out, his previous body basically self-destructed.

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:35 am

I assume it was a demon thing, rather than a namekian thing.
t was for dramatic effect
Toriyama felt like it.
Because Toriyama
Does literally no one understand the meaning of "in-universe" here anymore?
酷签名

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am

It's really hard to stay 'in universe' when things are inconsistent.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 am

Because Goku's Chi was ultimately leaving Piccolo's body, destroying it in the process?

Other than that of course because of style.

And you cannot regenerate without enough energy as Piccolo shows against Nappa and Freezer. Those attacks did cost him too much. Of course that was also mainly dramatic but at least that regeneration thing can be reasonably concluded.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Because laying eggs expands Namekians' waistlines(how do you think the Eldest got so fat?) and Piccolo was laying his ultimate egg, so he expanded so much, he blew up.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 pm

I always assumed it has something to do with him being in his "full-power" mode, since that was supposed to crank his power up so much that it shortened his life-span. You punch a hole in someone whose ki is so charged up, it throws things off-balance and they go "bang". Maybe. Then again, Freeza's 100% full power form was described in similar "it'll shorten my life-span" terms, and obviously he didn't blow-up when cut in half. But maybe Piccolo had charged himself up that much further past the natural safety point. Or maybe Freeza's body is just naturally better at managing ki, so super-charging himself like that will shorten his life-span but not make him so unstable that he'll actually blow up if damaged enough.

In general, DB firmly establishes that ki is a) the natural life-force found in all living things, plus rocks and the sun and whatnot, and b) really good at making huge explosions. So the answer to any "why did X explode?"-type question in DB is ultimately going to boil down to ki somehow or another. Really, it's a wonder there aren't more random explosions throughout DB, what with all the ki flowing all over the place. Even mowing the lawn should be a little bit dangerous.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:01 am

Perhaps when a Demon King transfers his "essence" to their offspring, they blow up? Or it's simply the way Demon Kings die, haha.

Regarding the hole in his stomack and regeneration, I've always had the impression that Piccolo's regeneration technique improved over time. At first it was just limbs, then Cell displayed an advanced mastery of Piccolo's regeneration ability, and finally Piccolo too could regenerate as long as his head is fine (though it's unclear whether his torso has to there too).