Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:05 am

Release by Release coverage of the latest addition of VIZs Dragon Ball Library. Covering flaws as well as Re-print dates (if available)

Other Releases:
VIZ "Manga Style" http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1059055
VIZ Singles (General information about various edits throughout it's publishing) http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=27624
Viz Bigs: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=11271

Volume Information:
Volume One:
Volume Two:
Volume Three
Volume Four
Volume Five
Volume Six
Volume Seven
Volume Eight
Volume Nine
Volume Ten
Volume Eleven
Volume Twelve
Volume Thirteen
Volume Fourteen
FINAL VERDICT
Over all it's an okay release. It's much cheaper than collecting the single volumes and hold up better than the Viz bigs. Not bad for a budget release though it falls very short on it's promise of being uncensored (The singles of "Dragon Ball can be collected both visual and verbally 99% uncensored) for the "Z" portion of the series it's worth the value in terms of page count per price rather than added value. While these are coming out adjacent with the Full Colors those are defiantly worth their weight in gold while these fall flat but hold some value if one simply wants to collect the series on the cheap.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 71 times in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 am

Nice I like that you stated what each one of them has in difference but who exactly is this release for? :wtf: Certainly not for the Dragon Ball fans since the inkcums, paper quality and censorship.

Ugh Viz.. just give us the rest of Z's Full Colour comics and produce an uncut high quality release for Dragon Ball.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:36 am

Geez, do they have ANY uncut releases? I'm not a picky person (Brick owner here) but it really should be uncut. Why are they still censoring Mr. Popo's lips, while he's allowed to show it all even on Nicktoons?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Geez, do they have ANY uncut releases? I'm not a picky person (Brick owner here) but it really should be uncut. Why are they still censoring Mr. Popo's lips, while he's allowed to show it all even on Nicktoons?
The lips on the Full Colour release was censored too, they swapped it for a black line but at times they left it intact, or so it's what it looked like to me.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Geez, do they have ANY uncut releases?
The closest you'll get is the Full Color comics, which is drastically incomplete.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm

2014 and the US still doesn't have the manga uncut. :(
Anime's been available uncut all the way through since 2010.

"This sucks. Make more."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Updated with Volume 7's cover and added the next spine art. Also updated volume 6 to address the issue of the missing chapter art pages

I have a feeling the full colors will return after these are up. Once Dragon Ball vol.1 is re-released it'll be nice to have all of Dragon Ball 98% Uncut but I wonder if they'll change the dialogue to it's original.

Reading Volume 7 now so I should be able to update this thread about any issues later tonight :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:2014 and the US still doesn't have the manga uncut. :(
Anime's been available uncut all the way through since 2010.
It's been available earlier through these sets too:

Dragon Ball - 2003 (Saga Sets)
Dragon Ball Z - 2007 (Orange Bricks)
Dragon Ball GT - 2005 (Singles)

I suppose if FUNimation was in control of the manga releases then it'd all be uncut too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Those were incomplete, since DB Episodes 1-13 were not included. Also, the OP and ED for Z and GT were still replaced with different animations in the dub. But that's getting a bit too off-topic. It just bugs me that they still can't release the manga uncut.

"This sucks. Make more."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 am

Volume 7 read. Overall not bad but there are two problems I noticed

1) 2 chapter title pages missing
2) This typo:

Is this a new translation? I found the cover page to the "Manga Style" editions

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:29 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Volume 7 read. Overall not bad but there are two problems I noticed

1) 2 chapter title pages missing
2) This typo:
http://s30.postimg.org/lgpbis9kh/108414 ... 7574_n.jpg

Is this a new translation? I found the cover page to the "Manga Style" editions
http://s3.postimg.org/a4r5bphpv/DBZ31.jpg
Looks like Viz had originally repurposed the title page for chapter 224 to go with chapter 225 (probably back during the run of the old monthlies), and only just got around to fixing it. Only, they broke something else in the process. :lol:
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 7 Added*

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:46 am

Well, as much as I don't like the 3-in-1s for their false advertising and poor quality, I am impressed (and didn't realize until now) that they're accurately keeping it as one series for the first time. No Dragon Ball Z! No starting over on chapter numbers. I like that a lot!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Image
Oh wow, Son Go :lol: Someone at Viz must've watched the Polish version of the anime :P

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:24 pm

"Son Go" :lol:

Probably not a good idea to use a perm pen marker since the paper quality is so low and everything's visible from one side to another.

I love the spines, fact that they're considering it all as one series together but the paper quality is a huge deal breaker although if it was as good as the Full Colour comics even with the censorship I'd be okay with it.

Viz please make a high quality release like this even if it means bumping the price up!
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:25 pm

I didn't know about the title page change, that's pretty interesting! Also, Updated the first post with other Title card translation changes :D

The main reason I'm getting these is because it's finally all under "Dragon Ball" *I hope future releases are the same* and that they're uncut (but they're not..lol)

So I posted to Viz's Facebook about the missing title pages and the typo (usually I get a quicker response) and my post appears to have been deleted. Really? If you took a little more time to check these before mass-printings you would not have me bothering you :lol:

So I e-mailed them about the issues with volumes 7 and 6...so I hope to get a response soon.

On a side not, I updated Vol. 6. They left all the translation notes that were caused due to the original splitting of "Dragon Ball" and "Z"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
So, I visited a Barnes and Noble in Huntington Beach, CA this morning, and saw the omnibus editions. For kicks, I grabbed the first volume, checked the first page and behold! It said "Second Printing-November 2014". I flipped through to the pages that would typically have been censored, and Viz was true to their word. All penises and boobs are restored properly. The only page I forgot to check was the one where Bulma has some censored dialog (where it actually covers the words to say "CENSORED"). I also stupidly didn't take any pictures. But hey, this looks like Viz at least kind of cares. Now if only they would fix "(the H-word)" "Djinn" and "Vegerot", I would consider buying this release.
Thanks for the info! Volume 1 in the first post has been updated (got the volume so I added some other input as well).

Next update comes with Volume 8!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 pm

I checked out one of these at my bookstore recently. I really like how light and easy to hold these are, since the VizBigs were a bit too bulky for me. Not to mention it is more consistent. I'll probably collect these when they are on sale or something.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 8 Added*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Read the latest volume and nothing bad about it at all! The paper seemed a little thicker...tho I could be used to it now (Still better than VJumps waxpaper). Overall pleased! Shame we have to wait till sept to finish Freeza tho..

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 9 Added*

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Read the latest volume and nothing bad about it at all! The paper seemed a little thicker...tho I could be used to it now (Still better than VJumps waxpaper). Overall pleased! Shame we have to wait till sept to finish Freeza tho..
That is interesting. Is it all uncut?
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 9 Added*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 pm

outside of popo being edited I don't see anything that's been cut (though I don't think much was edited until the androids at this point.