Questions about the VHS tapes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Questions about the VHS tapes

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey all. I have a lot of questions about the VHS tapes, I'll try to condense this as much as possible.

1. We're the tapes released for the Saiyan and Namek Sagas only released using the Ocean/Westwood dub?

2. What is the exact difference between edited and uncut tapes?

3. Does anyone know if the Garlic Jr. Saga ever had a VHS release?

4. For the Trunks Saga, Burger King released promotional episodes, but what exactly are they? I know they're included as extra episode on the Prelude to Terror tape. Reference: Image

5. Did the tapes after the Ginyu Saga use the Funimation cast?

6. Were the first 3 movies released on tape using the Funimation cast?

7. Did movies 10-13 never have a VHS release?

8. Was the Red Ribbon Army Saga the only Saga to have an uncut release? Reference: Image

9. Were all 292 episodes ever released on tape?

10. With the edited and uncut Boxsets, did the box come with the tapes or did you have to get it separately?

11. Did the Cell Games Saga have all the episodes released on VHS? I'm asking because I know the edited version was cut short.

12. Is Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans on VHS?
And this is more of a bonus, is anyone selling factory sealed tapes?

Reference images: Image

Thanks guys!!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Questions about the VHS tapes

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:58 pm

1. There is no such thing as a Westwood dub for those arcs. The first two seasons exist as the 67 episodes whittled down to 53 as produced by FUNimation using the Ocean cast.

2. The uncut tapes are visually uncensored. The edited tapes are what was broadcast on Toonami.

3. Yes.

4. Those were two filler episodes showing the training for the Artificial Humans and the "Goku and Piccolo Driving Episode." I know they were added to later DVD copies of "Prelude to Terror," but I was not under the impression the VHS got the same treatment. I could be wrong.

5. Everything from the "Ginyu Saga" tapes onward utilized FUNimation's Texas in-house cast.

6. The first three movies were released on VHS in a subtitled version and a dubbed version using the Ocean cast.

7, 8, and 9. I don't know.

10. No. On tape is FUNimation's complete original dub, using the Ocean cast for the first two seasons and their in-house cast for the remaining four seasons. The total episode count was cut from 291 to 277, with the majority of the cut content from the first two seasons, about half an episode cut from season 3, and an un-numbered episode in season 3. The un-numbered episode was due to content cut from the television broadcast, which totals 276 plus one un-numbered episode.

11. I don't know.

12. There is no American release of it on VHS.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:52 pm

11. I'm pretty sure the Cell Games was released on VHS. Amazon has the last VHS tape which shows it actually exists. I know they didn't release the DVD's in order, but the VHS tapes they did.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Cell- ... e+ends+vhs
Gaffer Tape wrote: 4. Those were two filler episodes showing the training for the Artificial Humans and the "Goku and Piccolo Driving Episode." I know they were added to later DVD copies of "Prelude to Terror," but I was not under the impression the VHS got the same treatment. I could be wrong.
You're right. They never went back and added those episodes to that release. They did however add that video to the Trunks VHS box set...

I actually still have the second version of Prelude to Terror ~

Version 2 of Prelude to Terror not only adds the two filler episodes, but also fixed some typos and subtitle positioning problems that the previous version had.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Yep. I have it too! It made me quite happy that I'd never picked up Prelude to Terror until it was re-released. But I loved that disc. Back then, the fact that there were five episodes on a single release... Amazing! :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 pm

So, edited has less blood and other things?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Edited largely concerns Cartoon Network's editing standards and/or FUNimation's interpretation of those/what would help them sell more uncut tapes (which were more expensive). As a general rule, blood was okay as long as it stayed on the bleeder. Dripping and spurting was edited out. Nudity was edited out. Maron's cleavage and thong were painted over. Then there were certain line changes, with the "uncut" containing lines that were... edgier, I guess? For example, early in season 3, Vegeta has a line in the broadcast that reads, "If there's anything I've learned from this whole ordeal is that I'm an absolute genius!" while the uncut tape has him saying, "If there's anything I've learned from this whole ordeal is that I'm a friggin' genius!"

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 pm

And the tapes have the Faulconer music too?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:10 pm

SSJFutureTrunks wrote:And the tapes have the Faulconer music too?
The VHS tapes always and exclusively had the replacement soundtrack for Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT for both the edited and "uncut" versions. The first TV series always had just the original Shunsuke Kikuchi score.

(With the exception of: the first 13 episodes / 1st movie for Dragon Ball which used a replacement score, and then the first three DBZ movies produced by FUNimation/Pioneer which had the original Kikuchi score.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Clandestine123456

Post by Clandestine123456 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 am

So maybe I'm missing something but I still have a question regarding vhs releases. The Saiyan and Namek arc for vhs are edited. But the rest are "uncut"? Can someone break that down for me? For instance is the uncut vhs the same as the Orange Bricks dvd releases with blood and cursing? Or like dbz kai with Mr. Satan instead of Hercule? Or are they just less edited than the first two arcs? I really need to know because I am actually trying to find something more edited than dbz kai. I like that the filler is cut out but my kids aren't really old enough for true uncut versions (yet).

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:29 am

Clandestine123456 wrote:So maybe I'm missing something but I still have a question regarding vhs releases. The Saiyan and Namek arc for vhs are edited. But the rest are "uncut"? Can someone break that down for me? For instance is the uncut vhs the same as the Orange Bricks dvd releases with blood and cursing? Or like dbz kai with Mr. Satan instead of Hercule? Or are they just less edited than the first two arcs? I really need to know because I am actually trying to find something more edited than dbz kai. I like that the filler is cut out but my kids aren't really old enough for true uncut versions (yet).
The uncut VHS is the same as the dub on the old Funimation single DVDs. They say Mr. Satan instead of Hercule, and the visuals are uncut, but the dialogue didn't have any cursing as far as I remember.

The cut versions of the Saiyan and Namek arcs were also released on DVD by Pioneer.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:46 am

DBZ Movie 9 was the last DBZ movie that got a VHS release in 2004. DBZ Movies 10-13 went to DVD and later on Blu-Ray. VHS was pretty much dead by the mid 2000's (Maybe even by the early 2000's), so we stop having VHS releases of the first DB show when Tenshinhan show up around 2002 (Episodes 052-054 & 087-153 never got VHS releases). However we did get the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt on VHS though in 2005.

I also remember the edit tapes are the same as the ones that air on Toonami (So no blood, swearing, nudity and words like Kill). All of the VHS copies of DBZ did use the replacement scores too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I also remember the edit tapes are the same as the ones that air on Toonami (So no blood, swearing, nudity and words like Kill). All of the VHS copies of DBZ did use the replacement scores too.
From the Ginyu Saga onward, they had blood even on Toonami. The only blood they edited/weren't alowed to show was spurting blood or dripping blood. I also think they were allowed to say "die" and "kill" as well once the syndicated episodes were over.

As for the (in-house) replacement scores, was there ever a time they didn't include them besides the Dragon Boxes?
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 am

I remember Gohan saying "I want to Destroy You" and not Kill when he fought Super Buu on Toonami.
She/Her

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 am

I remember Gohan saying "kill" on Toonami. As far as I remember, the only real censored parts were any nudity, Videl's beatdown by Spopovitch, Mr. Satan's name, and (I believe) "hell" in GT (changed to HFIL). Other than that, as far as I remember, since that "Ginyu Assault" episode, everything was pretty much uncensored. The dubs themselves didn't use "damn," "hell" (besides naming the actual place in GT), nor "bastard" until Ultimate Uncut, which left in those words due to airing at nighttime. And as far as I know, Ultimate Uncut never made it to VHS -- I mean, we are talking 2005 here. I'm actually surprised that 2003's Dragon Ball GT made its way to VHS, but I remember it did.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 am

In an early season 3 episode where Gohan and Kuririn are searching for Bulma to get the Dragon Radar there's a VERY weird difference between the edited and uncut versions.

Uncut
Krillin: “Maybe a mountain lion drug her into this little cave.”
Gohan: “Heh, I wouldn't want to be the mountain lion.”

Edited
Gohan: “Heh, I wouldn't want to be the mountain lion.”

Spot the difference? For some reason, the edited version cut the set up to Gohan's line.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Clandestine123456

Post by Clandestine123456 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Thouser wrote:
Clandestine123456 wrote:So maybe I'm missing something but I still have a question regarding vhs releases. The Saiyan and Namek arc for vhs are edited. But the rest are "uncut"? Can someone break that down for me? For instance is the uncut vhs the same as the Orange Bricks dvd releases with blood and cursing? Or like dbz kai with Mr. Satan instead of Hercule? Or are they just less edited than the first two arcs? I really need to know because I am actually trying to find something more edited than dbz kai. I like that the filler is cut out but my kids aren't really old enough for true uncut versions (yet).
The uncut VHS is the same as the dub on the old Funimation single DVDs. They say Mr. Satan instead of Hercule, and the visuals are uncut, but the dialogue didn't have any cursing as far as I remember.

The cut versions of the Saiyan and Namek arcs were also released on DVD by Pioneer.
So are there NO home releases (vhs, dvd or otherwise) that are the toned down tv versions? ie. refering to Mr. Satan as Hercule, saying darn you instead of damn you, etc. etc.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:54 pm

The only way to watch the old Toonami edited episodes is on VHS. There is no real market for the edited episodes since people like to watch things uncut.
She/Her

Clandestine123456

Post by Clandestine123456 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The only way to watch the old Toonami edited episodes is on VHS. There is no real market for the edited episodes since people like to watch things uncut.
OK, see this is why I am confused. The vhs tapes are edited or not edited? I know the Saiyan and Namek are edited but everything after that seems to be titled uncut. So what do the "uncut" tapes entail? Are they the toned down tv versions or not?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Clandestine123456 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The only way to watch the old Toonami edited episodes is on VHS. There is no real market for the edited episodes since people like to watch things uncut.
OK, see this is why I am confused. The vhs tapes are edited or not edited? I know the Saiyan and Namek are edited but everything after that seems to be titled uncut. So what do the "uncut" tapes entail? Are they the toned down tv versions or not?
Both. FUNi released two versions, the uncut and the edited versions.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Clandestine123456

Post by Clandestine123456 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 pm

ABED wrote:
Clandestine123456 wrote:
Both. FUNi released two versions, the uncut and the edited versions.
So if I'm looking to buy the entire series on vhs, I'm just going to have to search tape by tape? Ugh, that sounds like a lot of work. Probably just going to get the saiyan saga and that will have to tide them over until they are older.