Did Videl's power level increase after Gohan's training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Did Videl's power level increase after Gohan's training?

Post by Angelus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:24 am

Or was the only difference was that now she can fly?
Last edited by Angelus on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmmaWinters

Re: Did Videl's power level increase after Gohan's training?

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 am

Do we ever see her use ki that way?
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:47 am

Yeah she can fly

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:48 am

Angelus wrote:Or was the only difference was that now she can fly and can shoot some minor ki blasts?

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:55 am

I actually can't remember. Was it Spopovich that fired a ki blast at her? My memory might be getting mixed up.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:01 am

I believe he does in the anime. He uses a kiai in the manga.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something that important.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 am

I'm pretty sure she would have gained a minor increase in power with her ki contol. It's never really mentioned, though. At most I'd put her at a 40-50 or so.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm almost certain that learning to use her ki, especially for a taxing and tricky feat like flying, would cause her power level to increase by at least a moderate amount. It's like she's learning how to use a muscle she didn't even know she had before.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:36 pm

No. She just became more versatile since she could control her energy.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Kaboom wrote:I'm almost certain that learning to use her ki, especially for a taxing and tricky feat like flying, would cause her power level to increase by at least a moderate amount. It's like she's learning how to use a muscle she didn't even know she had before.
Learning how to use that muscle in itself wouldn't strengthen it, though.

Gohan specifically said that she needed to control her ki in order to fly. Nothing was ever said about her needing to increase her ki, and it was never implied she did so either - she just learned to utilize the ki she already had.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Kaboom wrote:I'm almost certain that learning to use her ki, especially for a taxing and tricky feat like flying, would cause her power level to increase by at least a moderate amount. It's like she's learning how to use a muscle she didn't even know she had before.
I also believe that. Much like Kuririn's power being unlocked and him being able to tap into hidden ki he didn't know he had; Videl gained both access to and control of her ki, making her power level increase.
It would also correlate with the spiritual part of training your ki; having better control of your ki will make you and your attacks stronger.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:27 pm

BOG shows that a bullet is dangerous to her so no.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Adamant wrote:Learning how to use that muscle in itself wouldn't strengthen it, though.

Gohan specifically said that she needed to control her ki in order to fly. Nothing was ever said about her needing to increase her ki, and it was never implied she did so either - she just learned to utilize the ki she already had.
Well, actually if you use a muscle you have never used before then you do strengthen it through use. Like if you've never walked in your life and then start trying to walk you will strengthen your leg muscles because they are now being used. Gohan said that she needed to control her Ki in order to fly, yes. But why would Gohan need to say that she needs to increase her Ki? She may have already obtained enough Ki to fly. Flying will just increase her Ki further than what it is already at. I don't think Kaboom is saying she needs to keep trying to fly in order to gain enough Ki to fly. Just because she has enough Ki to fly doesn't mean it can't increase further through training her flying ability.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:BOG shows that a bullet is dangerous to her so no.
You can be moderately above normal-human level and still get hurt by bullets, and I'd think any increase Videl made in terms of power level would be relatively minor. Like up from a 6 or 7 to about 20 or so. Goku shrugged off bullets at the start of DB with a power level lower than that, but as a Saiyan he's also got a naturally tougher and stronger body.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Id say learning the ability to control your Ki would give you a good increase in power. Videl went from being able to beat up a average man to being able to kick Spopovich's head with enough force to make it do a 180.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:13 pm

One of my wants in the new movie is for one of Freeza's soldiers to read her BP. Imagine if she is at 100 xD

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Kaboom wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:BOG shows that a bullet is dangerous to her so no.
You can be moderately above normal-human level and still get hurt by bullets, and I'd think any increase Videl made in terms of power level would be relatively minor. Like up from a 6 or 7 to about 20 or so. Goku shrugged off bullets at the start of DB with a power level lower than that, but as a Saiyan he's also got a naturally tougher and stronger body.
Kuririn took a bullet too and his power level was lower than Goku's.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Toriyama said you need ki to become stronger past a certain point (implying that before that point, physical matters are more dominant), and Roshi talks about the "human wall" or something like that, so I don't know whether the feats at very very low powerlevels have that much consistency with the powerlevels themselves. Roshi was stronger than Goku and Krillin because he had a high powerlevel relatively speaking, but I don't buy the idea that, say, Mister Satan has to have a powerlevel higher than 5 just because "farmer with a shotgun" is at 5.

Videl can use her powerlevel to fly, but I don't think ki has come to represent most of what makes her strong, so she's still limited by human weaknesses inherent in her physical body. Hence, being able to die of being shot.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:26 pm

She was taught to use the ki she already had, not increase it, so no.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Yeah, I don't buy early Dragonball numbers. I place Goku around 30 while Yamcha and Krillin probably low to mid 20s. Obviously Roshi is much more powerful than that.

We've seen early Dragonball characters tank bullets before, and as was shown Videl is still threatened by bullets even long after her training with Gohan. At the 25th Budokai, I think she could easily beat Mr. Satan where as before she could beat him with high difficulty. She might be able to make beginning of Dragonball Yamcha or Krillin work up a little sweat but that's about it.