Time Travel Madness made simple

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Time Travel Madness made simple

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:38 pm

I just spent about an hour reading the first 4 pages of the Time Travel debate in the one other section. (For some reason I now have a headache.) Anyway, I was wondering if I'm the only person who thought up a more simplistc explanation to the existance of the time-lines? I wrote this up shortly after the Cell Games finished airing on Toonami:

Dragonball Z, a.k.a. Timelines R Us.

Time Line One: The events of the History of Trunks special.

Time Line Two: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks never shows up.

Time Line Three: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks comes back and kills Frieza, leaves and never returns.

Time Line Four: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks comes back and kills Frieza, leaves and then comes back 3 years later. This is the Time Line we see in the Manga/Anime.

Time Line Five: Same as TL1, TL3 Trunks returns to his time and eventually kills the Androids. He wants to let Goku and the others know so he prepares to go back again but is killed by Cell. Cell then goes back to TL 2

Time Line Six: TL4 Trunks returns to his time and kills the Androids and Cell.

Alright, I know what you're thinking, where did the Cell's from TL3 and TL4 come from, right? Well, TL2. How? Well, where did the Goku's in TL's 3 and 4 come from? Yep, TL1. Anything that exists before gets 'multiplied' into any newly created time-lines. Even though Cell was from farther in the future than Trunks he appeared before him and therefore was the cause of the first alternate time-line.

Now, as to why Trunks never returned to TL 3. He couldn't. Each time someone goes back they create an alternate time-line. There is one where they did not go back and one where they did. Therefore, since Trunks leaves for that three year span where everyone else is training, he must create two times when he returns. The first is TL 3 where he dosen't return, the second is TL 4 where he does return.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Chibi Woosh

Post by Chibi Woosh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:54 pm

Woah I got really confused there for a little bit, but then I understood it and it made sense to me. :P There is just one thing, what if there was another timeline when Cell didn't come back at all? Then what would happen? ....Okay I am confusing myself more, I will go now.
Last edited by Chibi Woosh on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blurgafrickle!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:58 pm

Chibi Woosh wrote:Woah I got really confused there for a little bit, but then I ndersood it and it made sense to me. :P There is just one thing, what if there was another timeline when Cell didn't come back at all? Then what would happen? ....Okay I am confusing myself more, I will go now.
For more timeline madness, be sure to visit our previous thread about it. Guaranteed to make your head spin... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:19 pm

Erm.... Sadly, I found a few flaws in my own work :( But, I shall now fix those flaws. What are they you ask? Well, how did TL3 Trunks get killed by Cell in TL5 if he's the same Trunks that's in TL4? Right, confusing, but I shall fix the problem, have no fear! *A warning, be ready for exessive amounts of time-lines*

Time Line One: The events of the History of Trunks special.

Time Line Two: Trunks appears and defeats Freeza, leaves and never returns.

Time Line Three: Trunks appears and defeats Frieza, leaves and comes back three years later, no Cell.

Time Line Four: TL1 Trunks(the one who appears in TL's 2 and 3) returns to his time and kills the Androids. He wants to let Goku and the others know so he prepares to go back again but is killed by Cell. Cell then goes back to TL 5

Time Line Five: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks never shows up.

Time Line Six: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks comes back and kills Frieza, leaves and never returns.

Time Line Seven: Cell appears a year before Frieza comes to Earth, Trunks comes back and kills Frieza, leaves and then comes back 3 years later. This is the Time Line we see in the Manga/Anime.

Time Line Eight: TL7 Trunks returns to his time and kills the Androids and Cell.

A note: TL 4 and TL 1 are, in fact, the same time-line. I only seperated them to show the change between TL 4 and TL 8 which is a varient of TL 1 created by the events of TL 7

That should clear it all up now. Oh, and thanks to Chibi Woosh for inadvertantly pointing out the mistake! His comment about the no Cell made me realize the error...
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:43 pm

NO! NO! NOOOOOO! NOT THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:51 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:NO! NO! NOOOOOO! NOT THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
Hey, congrats, Xyex. You broke someone's mind. .. If you have an eye on your forehead, I'm running.

EDIT: Admittedly, Jersey-sama, I see why you're screaming. ^^; 8 pages with people agreeing to just forget it and never think about it again, then Xy-kun comes along.
Last edited by B-kun on Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:53 pm

You'd be losing it too B-kun, if you had participated in the original thread on this topic two months ago! :(

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:You'd be losing it too B-kun, if you had participated in the original thread on this topic two months ago! :(
Eheh, yeah, I realised that a minute later. ^^; Look up.

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:07 pm

Interesting research you have there. Thats pretty smart.

Poor Jersey, let me guess, everyone got confused and a bunch of people started correcting others, getting mad saying people were stupid so it got so confusing and mad that now your freaking out at the very thought of going through it again? Well, I feel your pain, lets just hope this thing doesen't go too far...therefor, I suggest you and I run...now *runs away*
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Well, no we didn't get verbally abusive with one another, we're not like that here, but everything else is correct, yes! 8)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:04 pm

I must applaud(sp?) those who could go through all 8 pages of that first discussion. I, myself, was only able to read through four of them, that 4th time-line require a fifth and there-by causing an infinitive loop was rather confusing at the time...
<Xyex> Good point.

Chibi Woosh

Post by Chibi Woosh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:52 pm

Xyex wrote: That should clear it all up now. Oh, and thanks to Chibi Woosh for inadvertantly pointing out the mistake! Her comment about the no Cell made me realize the error...

Yay! I pointed something out without realizing it! :D
Blurgafrickle!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:02 pm

It could be worse. We could start talking about Galvatron and his time travelling adventures in the original Transformers comic. That one causes pain and suffering. Like Galvy himself.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:33 pm

I just don't understand the logic in going back and killing your former incarnation.

Then again, that was the wonderful appeal of Galvatron I geuss.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:39 pm

That's because he's insane.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:48 pm

But he didn't try and kill himself. At least, not intentionally. He originally went back to escape from Unicron, and to build a power base in 1986 so that when Unicron returned in 20 years, he'd be ready for him. In the process, he ended up hunting down Megatron, teaming up with him, and then the pair of them went on a rampage killing vast numbers of Autobots and Decepticons, until a time rift created by Megatron killing Cyclonus before he was created sucked them all up into the void.

And then the timeline changed, so that Unicron turned up in 1991 instead of 2005, and he plucked Galvatron from another alternative timeline where Unicron had already destroyed Cybertron. This Galvatron was more sane, but still rebelled against the Chaos Bringer. There was a big fight, and lots and lots of Autobots and Decepticons were kiled. Galvy eventually ended up meeting a half-delirious Megatron (there's something wrong with those two). They beat each other up, with Galvatron unable to fight back in case destroying this Megatron ended up wiping him out of history. He managed to start talking though, and Galvatron asked Megs to team up with him, and Megs said yes. Although this was curtailed when Ratchet caused the Ark to crash into the Earth at high speeds, knocking everyone out.

And then there is the Galvatron from "Perchance to Dream". And another one from "Aspects of Evil". Although that might be the same one as the first one.

He ws the ultimate bad guy. You killed one, and another popped up. Crazy.

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:08 pm

I've always wondered how it was possible for Cell to arrive in the past at a point before Trunks did. IIRC, Cell just hijacked the time machine and went back to the time and place already set on the controls. Was there an alternate timeline where Trunks had decided to go back even further?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:42 pm

The thing that bothered me is how did Cell end up in our timeline anyway? He should have ended up in the one that the Trunks he killed was returning to.

Chibi Woosh

Post by Chibi Woosh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:08 pm

I am so confused. Too much time travel stuff. :shock:
Last edited by Chibi Woosh on Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blurgafrickle!

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:22 pm

Chibi Woosh wrote:I am so confused. To much time travel stuff. :shock:

Do i have to watch you every time you post something to make sure you spell it right? It would be "too", with two o's. :D
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...