Announcement: New Word Censor

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Bermuda, yes. Buruma... I guess some people are just wierd like that :P

Though I have another question. Is Bebi pronounced the same as Baby or did they just pull Baby out of thin air?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:49 pm

I think that "Baby" is the pun they are going for. I'm just not sure if it's a sounds-like word (like "Bulma") or an exactly-the-same word (like "Trunks").

Bermuda is nice to say. It's the r - vowel - r of Kuririn and Buruma that I find akward. How many English words have that?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:37 pm

Xyex wrote:Though I have another question. Is Bebi pronounced the same as Baby or did they just pull Baby out of thin air?
"Bebii" (written in katakana) is a loanword that literally means "baby." Mike just doesn't like to admit that there's a villain with such a cute-sounding name. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:03 pm

What about Buu? That's pretty cute sounding. And Nappa sounds a bit like "nappy". And is there a more wimpy instrument than the piccolo?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:42 pm

The tambourine. And hey, he was a sidekick.

I agree with FUNi changing Mr. Satan, but I don't agree with it becoming H e r c u l e. Which is why I like it censored.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:43 pm

PsyLiam wrote:I think that "Baby" is the pun they are going for. I'm just not sure if it's a sounds-like word (like "Bulma") or an exactly-the-same word (like "Trunks").

Bermuda is nice to say. It's the r - vowel - r of Kuririn and Buruma that I find akward. How many English words have that?
That's because they're not English words remember? It's Japanized English.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:59 am

Zackarotto wrote:The tambourine. And hey, he was a sidekick.

I agree with FUNi changing Mr. Satan, but I don't agree with it becoming H e r c u l e. Which is why I like it censored.
What's wrong with H e r c u l e?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:55 am

Xyex wrote:
Zackarotto wrote:The tambourine. And hey, he was a sidekick.

What's wrong with H e r c u l e?
Well... it's the French spelling of "Hercules," which really doesn't have anything to do with DB. FUNimation coould have picked a much better name (if they were going to replace it, I always preferred Mr. Savage, myself), but... they didn't. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:19 pm

Yes I always preferred "Mr. Savage" too. I remember back in 98' when the first line of figures came out over here, that's what they were calling him. I thought for sure that that was the name they were going to use. It would make more sense. It's closer to "Satan" and to me it sounds a lot more like a wrestler's name than "H e r c u l e" :?

EDIT: Another name just occured to me. "King Kold". EX should make it so that only "Cold" is acceptable. "Cold" with a "K" just screams redundent stupidity to me. :?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:18 pm

Sorry about the double posting but I thought this should be seperate because it's sort of a weird thing I came across. I happened to be reading through the "Ask John" archives on the AnimeNation website and well, I know we've all seen some strange spellings of Goku's name. I thought I had seen them all but here's a new one! I'd especially like to hear your take on this one Julian.

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=17

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:19 pm

But "Kold" is used so damn often I sometimes wonder if "Cold" is the wrong way (and that my french manga just accidentally translated it litteraly like they did "Freezer" instead of Freeza).

EDIT: **Reads Jersey's second post.** What the...

So SonGoku is the adopted grandson of Sohn Gohan. Does that mean by this logic Goku's name is "Sohn SonGoku"?
Last edited by Dayspring on Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Yes, but even so, the pun is clearly of the word "cold", an English word. It's only spelled with a "K" because that's the way the Japanese would have to spell it. We're not Japanese, so....

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:42 pm

I always thought that people went with "Kold" as some sort of intentionally-wrong spelling thing. Like the store over here called "Kwik-fit". Maybe.

I wonder if maybe FUNI didn't use Mr Savage because they knew that they were going to be using Mr Satan in the uncut stuff? (And maybe, just maybe they thought they'd get away with Mr Satan?) Perhaps when they realised they had to have a different name on the TV version, they went with something that was a first name, so that they could claim his name was "H e r c u l e Satan", so that people switching between TV and uncut versions wouldn't get confused?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:51 pm

Actually, I like to use the Kold spelling. It's a pun on "cold", but not the word "cold" itself. Korudo instead of Kourudo. Kind of like how Freeza is a pun on "freezer", but it's Furiiza instead of Furiizaa. I can't think of a clever way to shorten the O in "cold", so I just use a wrong consonant. :?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:How about this? Only what we use as spellings on Daizenshuu EX are correct? :P

I prefer using "Bebi," because "Baby" looks absolutely retarded.
I have to completly disagree with this. The splling "Bebi" just makes my head hurt; his name is Baby, and it's spelled like that both in english and Japanese, Bebi is just a romanization of the english word. Since that his real name has finally been established I wish people would stop spelling it the other way.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:13 pm

Ooh, now this is a tricky situation for VegEX. If he starts using "Baby", then he's a hipocrite for going back on saying that it looks "retarded". On the other hand, if he uses "Bebi", then he's a hipocrite for complaining about people using "F u r i z a".

Either way, he loses! VegettoEX will have to admit to being wrong. There will be people up and down the internet celebrating long into the night.

Can Mike escape this situation with his dignity intact? Will his reputation be left in tatters? Will he send me all his DB DVDs?

Find out next time, on Daizenshuu EX GD!

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:33 pm

I'll get the popcorn!!! :D
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:15 pm

Still, Daimao isn't gone.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:04 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Ooh, now this is a tricky situation for VegEX. If he starts using "Baby", then he's a hipocrite for going back on saying that it looks "retarded". On the other hand, if he uses "Bebi", then he's a hipocrite for complaining about people using "F u r i z a".

Either way, he loses! VegettoEX will have to admit to being wrong. There will be people up and down the internet celebrating long into the night.

Can Mike escape this situation with his dignity intact? Will his reputation be left in tatters? Will he send me all his DB DVDs?

Make up a new spelling. Then just RUN LIKE HELL while they're still confused.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Zackarotto wrote:
PsyLiam wrote:Ooh, now this is a tricky situation for VegEX. If he starts using "Baby", then he's a hipocrite for going back on saying that it looks "retarded". On the other hand, if he uses "Bebi", then he's a hipocrite for complaining about people using "F u r i z a".

Make up a new spelling. Then just RUN LIKE HELL while they're still confused.
Freeza!