The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:45 am

FatNagger69 wrote:
I can't read the kanji at all, (do you have a larger scan?)
but I think he's just commenting on how amazing everyone is.
It's
みんなスゴい戦闘力、オレ目がまわるる~
"These guys all have such amazing battle powers it's making my head spin"
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 pm

These are, I believe from the Chinese release of Dragonball Forever. Anyone with knowledge of Chinese characters are free to take a gander at it, and providing a translation would be much appreciated.

I was wondering if the "10,000" is indicating the speed at which Tao travels on that pillar?

Is there anything detailing the origins of Trunks' sword?

I'm curious if there are any interesting details regarding these more mysterious characters and Vegetto's power:

Perhaps these can shed more light on one of the most ambiguous and confusing portions of the story:

I was wondering if this gives any details on the concept of "pure energy" that was needed to revive Buu and the effects of the Potara, with what strength it grants Kibito-shin:

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:I was wondering if the "10,000" is indicating the speed at which Tao travels on that pillar?
時速10000公里? 桃白白的柱
10,000 Kilometers Per Hour? Taopaipai's pillar.

I'll see if someone I know can take a crack at the rest, but don't hold your breath.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Just curious but what exactly does "Majin" mean?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Magical Man. Majin Buu is partially based on the Teapot Genie from Dr. Slump. He's even dressed as a genie.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:Magical Man. Majin Buu is partially based on the Teapot Genie from Dr. Slump. He's even dressed as a genie.
Doesn't "Ma" mean demon? Or is it different in this context?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 pm

I think "Ma" does mean Demon. Piccolo Jr. called himself "Majunior" if I remember corrctly (might have been English dub), and that could mean "Demon Junior" or something.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Yes, Ma (魔) can mean demon/devil. But it can also mean magic.

Herms translates "Majin" as "Demon human" rather than "magic human/person" though.

I think that's appropriate alongside Majuu/Demon Beast Yakon and Maouji/Demon Prince Vegeta. Not to mention the King of Makai (Demon Realm), Dabra.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 pm

魔 has multiple meanings and can mean both magic or demon. A 魔人 (Majin) is a magical/demonic person, and is frequently used to refer to genies, as in the case with Teapot Genie (茶ビン魔人) from Dr. Slump, which Majin Buu was probably based on.

While Dabra and Yakon are demons (Yakon is a magical/demon beast, Majuu), they're being controlled by a Wizard (導士, Madōshi), as was Vegeta. While Majin can mean "Demon Person", in this particular case it's a pretty big stretch.
Saiga wrote:Herms translates "Majin" as "Demon human" rather than "magic human/person" though.
Does he? I've only seen him use "Magical Being".
Last edited by EmmaWinters on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Herms' Demon Guide.

Maybe he switched his usage sometime after writing the guide.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 am

Son_Gohan wrote:I was wondering if the "10,000" is indicating the speed at which Tao travels on that pillar?
Already covered, but yeah, it's 10,000 km/h (with a question mark at the end, so kind of noncommittal).
Is there anything detailing the origins of Trunks' sword?
No, it just says he beat Freeza with it.
I'm curious if there are any interesting details regarding these more mysterious characters and Vegetto's power:
It's all just very basic descriptions. Cold is Freeza's father, and comes with Freeza to Earth to get revenge on Goku, but is killed by Trunks. Stuff like that. Vegetto is called the "mightiest of warriors", though that's not terribly surprising coming from a book that a) only covers the manga and b) came out years before the spat of new movies.
Perhaps these can shed more light on one of the most ambiguous and confusing portions of the story:
Not really. Again, it's all very basic plot summary.
I was wondering if this gives any details on the concept of "pure energy" that was needed to revive Buu and the effects of the Potara, with what strength it grants Kibito-shin:
Still nothing remarkable. Although it does call Boo's ball an "egg", which is a bit interesting. And it says Boo's ball was brought to Earth "thousands" of years ago (as opposed to 5 million, which is the usual figure).

The bit on the Potara is more of the same. It simply says merging with the earrings "increases" their power, and that the effect is greater than fusion. Presumably meaning the Metamor-style capital-F Fusion, but it's a bit confusing because they don't use the actual English word "Fusion" to distinguish that type of fusion from others, the way the Japanese version does. Instead, they use 合体/heti (gattai in Japanese), which is used in the Japanese version to refer both to Metamor Fusion and merging with the Potara. In fact, the Chinese version apparently uses it the same way, so the main description describes the Potara's effect as greater than 合体, while the caption for Kibito and Kaioshin merging says they 合体 via the Potara. So the Potara is better than itself. Like I said, a bit confusing.

It also says they retain their individual abilities even in their merged state (presumably referring to Kibito's teleporting ability), and that there's no way to split back up again once they've merged.

Actually the most interesting thing is probably that the Chinese name for the Potara is 天界神珠/Tianjie-Shenzhu, "Divine Pearl of the Celestial Realm". Most of the time they seem to just phonetically approximate the original names, but not with that for whatever reason.
Saiga wrote:Herms' Demon Guide.

Maybe he switched his usage sometime after writing the guide.
I guess I go back and forth, since both "magic man" and "demon man" are acceptable. FatNagger has already explained the multiple meanings of 魔. I suppose ultimately I feel that the "magic" element is what's emphasized most with Boo, so in his case "magic man" is probably overall the best...but when I was writing the Demon Guide, it made sense to emphasize the "demon" element. And when the term's used in (for instance) Yu Yu Hakusho, "demon man" makes the most sense in that context.

Of course, there are many more possible ways to translate majin besides just the rather literal "magic man" vs "demon man" (like genie, as already mentioned).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:20 am

Many thanks FatNagger69 and Herms.

The one with Tao was from a page along with other forms of transportation in the series, but it was the only piece appearing next to a number. Too bad none of the others had them, would've been a neat tidbit to include I think. In any case it may not be conclusive, but still puts an interesting perspective on it, especially while looking at Daizenshuu 4's map of the world.

Speaking of demons, what does it have to say about the king of the Demon Realm?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 am

Son_Gohan wrote:The one with Tao was from a page along with other forms of transportation in the series, but it was the only piece appearing next to a number. Too bad none of the others had them, would've been a neat tidbit to include I think. In any case it may not be conclusive, but still puts an interesting perspective on it, especially while looking at Daizenshuu 4's map of the world.
It's based pretty directly on what we're told in the series. In chapter 85, Tao says the Land of Karin is 2,300 km miles away, and that he'll go beat Goku and be back in 30 minutes. So if he really could travel there and back on that pillar in 30 minutes, the pillar would have to go 4,600 km in half an hour, so 9,600 km an hour. Pretty close to 10,000 km/h, especially once you factor in the time he'd need to take to actually beat Goku. Of course, in practice Tao goes to get new clothes instead of making the return trip back to RR HQ right away, so I guess we don't know for sure if his "there and back in 30 minutes" claim was on the mark.
Speaking of demons, what does it have to say about the king of the Demon Realm?
Again, nothing very exciting:

Dabra
First Appearance: chapter 446
The king of the Dark Demon Realm, under the wizard Babidi's control; has the ability to petrify objects touched by his spit. Later, he's turned into a cookie by Majin Boo's magic, and eaten.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:42 am

While we're talking about Dabra and translations, Herms, I'm sure you mentioned something about how Chozenshuu 4 makes it unlikely that Dabra is a Makaioshin. Can you elaborate on that?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 am

Saiga wrote:While we're talking about Dabra and translations, Herms, I'm sure you mentioned something about how Chozenshuu 4 makes it unlikely that Dabra is a Makaioshin. Can you elaborate on that?
There's a section near the front of the book that gives an overview of the various races and cultures throughout the series; it's an expanded version of the equivalent section in Daizenshuu 7. Part of the newly added stuff is a section detailing the whole Shinjin/"Core People" back story for the Kaios/Kaioshins that Toriyama explained back in the SEG. It includes the bit about evil Core People going to the Demon World. Notably, Toriyama's original explanation said these evil Core People go to the Makaio(s), which left it unclear whether the Makaio(s) and Makaioshin(s) were recruited from among these evil Core People that came to the Demon World, or if they were beings with some other origin and the evil Core People simply teamed up with them. So now the Chouzenshuu 4 version of the explanation just says evil Core People go to the Demon World, with no mention of Makaio/Makaioshin(s) at all. In fact, I don't think there's any mention of Makaio or Makaioshin in Chouzenshuu 4 at all, and it's tempting to think that they've been erased from the picture now that BoG has established that the Kaios and Kaioshins are Gods of Creations whose counterparts are the Gods of Destruction. Not that you couldn't also fit Makaios and Makaioshins into this scenario too (they'd just be evil Gods of Creation), but Beerus really has stolen their thunder.

Anyway, then at the tail end of that whole section, there's an overview of the various races of the afterlife. There's short section on the Enma Realm, with Enma Daio and his oni staff, then one on the Kaio Realm which gives another, shorter recap of the whole Core People concept. Then there's a section on the Demon World (despite the book noting a few times that the Demon World is not technically part of either the afterlife or living world), which says that the Demon World is home to an "evil race", but since the realm is outside the domain of the Kaios and Kaioshins, even they don't know what's down there, so the full facts about this race are shrouded in mystery. And it explains about Dabra being the strongest in the Demon Realm, its king, how he turns stuff to stone, gets brainwashed by Babidi, eaten by Boo, and sent to Heaven because he'd enjoy Hell too much. Basically, there's a section on the Core People/Kaios/Kaioshins, then a separate section on the Demon World race that goes over Dabra without mentioning any connection to the Core People or the Makaio/Makaioshin...and in fact, the Makaio/Makaioshin don't seem to get any mention at all.

In a nutshell, it's not 100% conclusive (especially since it goes out of its way to say how mysterious the Demon World race is), but they had their chance to connect Dabra up with the concept of the Makaio and Makaioshin, but didn't draw any links there. Heck, they didn't mention the Makaio/Makaioshin at all, even when going over the god hierarchy and the Core People. If this "Demigra" stuff in Xenoverse ends up having no connection either, then it might be safe to say the whole concept has effectively been abandoned.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:28 am

@Herms

Chapter: 503 (DBZ 309), P9.2
Context: As Goku heads to Vegeta with the Potara.
Boo: “Now there’s another human with great power! But naturally he’s no match for me, even if they merged!”

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=29156

explain plz

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:46 am

Is Buu a demon or a genie? Or both?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 am

His design is based on a genie. Majin is frequently translated as genie. Even Viz uses Djinn as his title.
As Herms mentioned, magical man is a better fit for a literal translation, and as I mentioned, "demon" is just one of the many ways to translate 魔 (and the only way in Piccolo's case).

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with genie. It even fits with the Bibbity Bobbity Boo naming scheme.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Can someone tell me what these say? Thanks.

ImageImage

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Bullza wrote:Is Buu a demon or a genie? Or both?
In addition to what FatNagger already said, it's worth noting that in the original folklore, genie/djinn were basically demons, or spirits (and the word "demon" itself originally just mean "spirit"). These days in the West, thanks to Disney and whatnot people tend to think of them as just creatures that exist purely for the sake of granting wishes, but originally the idea was that they were powerful creatures who could use their magic to do seemingly anything. They could use their powers to give you what you wanted if they felt like it, or if they were compelled to, but it wasn't the reason for their existence. It's like the legends of King Solomon using his magic to force demons to do what he wanted, or Faust selling his soul to the devil in exchange for the devil granting his every desire. And in DB, Boo is a super-powerful creature who Babidi tries to bend to his will by threatening him with the spell to seal him away again.
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:explain plz
You'll have to be a bit more specific than that. What exactly do you not understand?