Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GoldLiger
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by GoldLiger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:No. I don't know what you keep bringing up entirely separate things for. They have nothing to do with anything, and it only leads me to believe you don't actually understand the conversation that is taking place.

At the beginning of the series, Shenlong can only grant one wish, and can only do so after a year has passed since the last wish. Oolong wishes for panties during the Pilaf arc. Only eight months later, the wish to restore Bora to life is made during the Red Ribbon Army arc.

This is a plothole with the same level of severity as the (possible) error within Battle of Gods (where only one wish is made; possibly two, if you count both Pilaf's wish and then a wish to learn more about Super Saiyan God). This plothole is within the original manga itself.

(Furthermore, taking your own concerns even more seriously, this error was at a point where the rules had only just recently been explained; we're not talking 20+ years later here.)

By your own logic, this means the the manga is not within the same continuity as itself. This is a ridiculous statement, and one you're forced to analyze from an out-of-universe perspective.

Well dude I just found the ultimate proof that BoG is indeed in a AU/Parallel universe to the manga.

There was never anything wrong with your questions about the possible errors within Battle of Gods. My whole point here is that you do not seem to want to address the same types of errors within the manga itself. Any time you respond, it's about something else entirely, if not dismissive.

Do you understand what I am saying?
Dragon Ball Heroes God Mission = Best sets of missions so far

Super Saiyan 4 Gohan FTW!!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Are you trying to say something? Because you just quoted Mike's post. Are you agreeing?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Are you trying to say something? Because you just quoted Mike's post. Are you agreeing?
No he didn't. he just screwed up the formatting.
GoldLiger wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:No. I don't know what you keep bringing up entirely separate things for. They have nothing to do with anything, and it only leads me to believe you don't actually understand the conversation that is taking place.

At the beginning of the series, Shenlong can only grant one wish, and can only do so after a year has passed since the last wish. Oolong wishes for panties during the Pilaf arc. Only eight months later, the wish to restore Bora to life is made during the Red Ribbon Army arc.

This is a plothole with the same level of severity as the (possible) error within Battle of Gods (where only one wish is made; possibly two, if you count both Pilaf's wish and then a wish to learn more about Super Saiyan God). This plothole is within the original manga itself.

(Furthermore, taking your own concerns even more seriously, this error was at a point where the rules had only just recently been explained; we're not talking 20+ years later here.)

By your own logic, this means the the manga is not within the same continuity as itself. This is a ridiculous statement, and one you're forced to analyze from an out-of-universe perspective.

Well dude I just found the ultimate proof that BoG is indeed in a AU/Parallel universe to the manga.

There was never anything wrong with your questions about the possible errors within Battle of Gods. My whole point here is that you do not seem to want to address the same types of errors within the manga itself. Any time you respond, it's about something else entirely, if not dismissive.

Do you understand what I am saying?
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

He say "Well dude I just found the ultimate proof that BoG is indeed in a AU/Parallel universe to the manga."

He just screwed up the formatting.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 pm

rereboy wrote:He say "Well dude I just found the ultimate proof that BoG is indeed in a AU/Parallel universe to the manga."

ULTIMATE PROOF

ULTIMATE POWER

ULTIMATEEEEEEEE

Let's just all admit what's going on here.

He's decided something, he doesn't want to discuss it, he just wants people to agree with him, so no matter what is said, it will just further convince him he is right.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

GoldLiger
Banned

Post by GoldLiger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
rereboy wrote:He say "Well dude I just found the ultimate proof that BoG is indeed in a AU/Parallel universe to the manga."

ULTIMATE PROOF

ULTIMATE POWER

ULTIMATEEEEEEEE

Let's just all admit what's going on here.

He's decided something, he doesn't want to discuss it, he just wants people to agree with him, so no matter what is said, it will just further convince him he is right.
Laugh while you can but this proof was brought to you by Goku and Friends the official pre quel to Battle of Gods.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 pm

I am so confused.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:I am so confused.
You just can't comprehend the ULTIMATE proof. None of us can.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:40 pm

GoldLiger wrote:Laugh while you can but this proof was brought to you by Goku and Friends the official pre quel to Battle of Gods.
I can laugh?

Awesome.

But here is the truth, and I say this being someone who argued continuity (DBZs included) all the time.

Toriyama is a writer with at best marginally good memory. And he's also traditionally a gag writer.

That means you aren't going to get the hard continuity we expect from say, a comic book, where you can line up a thru z perfectly, and if something doesn't line up perfectly, then it gets explained or it's gone.

Dragon Ball in and of itself is not a tightly written masterpiece of continuity.

You won't find tight perfect continuity. You put it together based on what fits, and you wink and nod at the stuff that doesn't.

If you want good continuity that goes back and tries to explain stuff... go read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

GoldLiger
Banned

Post by GoldLiger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
GoldLiger wrote:Laugh while you can but this proof was brought to you by Goku and Friends the official pre quel to Battle of Gods.
I can laugh?

Awesome.

But here is the truth, and I say this being someone who argued continuity (DBZs included) all the time.

Toriyama is a writer with at best marginally good memory. And he's also traditionally a gag writer.

That means you aren't going to get the hard continuity we expect from say, a comic book, where you can line up a thru z perfectly, and if something doesn't line up perfectly, then it gets explained or it's gone.

Dragon Ball in and of itself is not a tightly written masterpiece of continuity.

You won't find tight perfect continuity. You put it together based on what fits, and you wink and nod at the stuff that doesn't.

If you want good continuity that goes back and tries to explain stuff... go read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern.
To bad for you that he OFFICIALLY stated that is was part of the manga's timeline. It is in on this site after all. But I will leave it at this and watch you all believe it is still canon while laughing myself. Too bad so sad for you LOLOL.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:05 pm

GoldLiger wrote: To bad for you that he OFFICIALLY stated that is was part of the manga's timeline. It is in on this site after all. But I will leave it at this and watch you all believe it is still canon while laughing myself. Too bad so sad for you LOLOL.
Of course! Toriyama said that it was part of the manga's timeline, so of course that's evidence that it is an alternate universe. It all makes perfect sense now. Brilliant!
Malik_DBNA wrote:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 pm

The sarcastic posts end now. From everyone.

GoldLiger, here's the deal: you don't make any sense. Nothing you say makes any sense anymore. We don't understand you.

And Marc is right: you seem to have made up your mind (about... something), and no matter what anyone says back to you, it's irrelevant.

You're not responding to points and counter-examples. You've providing nothing in this conversation anymore. Therefore, I can only conclude that you're not even here for a conversation.

All further posts from you about this in this thread will be removed. If you're interested in having a legitimate conversation, please feel free to create a new thread about that specific topic, if and only if you're genuinely willing to have a conversation with people. Otherwise, account strikes will start being added to your account, which can and do add up to temporary/permanent bans.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 am

Shen Long didn't tell the Pilaf gang that they had two more wishes than they assumed they would have, because he remembers them and thought it would be funny. He just said "I shall grant any wish" without specifying how many.

Continuity rescued. You're welcome.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:54 am

I think I'd like Pilaf screwing himself over some more.

To prevent the same problem from last time, he cuts Shenlong off before he can tell him the number of wishes he'd be granted. Then, once he grants their wish and turns them into kids, he gets upset and throws a tantrum. During his little episode of yelling at Shenlong for making him too young, he tells the dragon to scram, before he can be told about the other two wishes, when he notices the creature is sticking around. Shenlong does as asked because Pilaf is acting like an ass and he doens't really like to be summoned anyway.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:58 pm

What's your opinion about this interpretation?

English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think I'd like Pilaf screwing himself over some more.

To prevent the same problem from last time, he cuts Shenlong off before he can tell him the number of wishes he'd be granted. Then, once he grants their wish and turns them into kids, he gets upset and throws a tantrum. During his little episode of yelling at Shenlong for making him too young, he tells the dragon to scram, before he can be told about the other two wishes, when he notices the creature is sticking around. Shenlong does as asked because Pilaf is acting like an ass and he doens't really like to be summoned anyway.
That...that's perfect. :lol: Unless we are eventually told or shown otherwise (which I can't imagine we will), I'm going to assume it happened exactly like that. Personal canon-ized.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think I'd like Pilaf screwing himself over some more.

That...that's perfect. :lol: Unless we are eventually told or shown otherwise (which I can't imagine we will), I'm going to assume it happened exactly like that. Personal canon-ized.
I agree this whole thing is perfect for personal canon. lol

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:04 pm

Where does Toriyama say that BOG/ROF are part of the manga continuity? "Writing it as if the manga was still in serialization" does not translate to "Writing it as part of the manga continuity".

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 pm

hleV wrote:Where does Toriyama say that BOG/ROF are part of the manga continuity? "Writing it as if the manga was still in serialization" does not translate to "Writing it as part of the manga continuity".
I doubt it's officially stated more than what you mentioned but nobody is trying to force it on you. Everyone can have their personal canon.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 am

hleV wrote:Where does Toriyama say that BOG/ROF are part of the manga continuity? "Writing it as if the manga was still in serialization" does not translate to "Writing it as part of the manga continuity".
...Why wouldn't it be part of the manga continuity? Toriyama wrote both it and these movies, and they are set in the same universe. I'd say that makes them set in the same continuity.

Someone on GameFAQs tried arguing they weren't, and that if they were, Dragon Quest would also be canon due to Toriyama doing character design...it took a lot of willpower to give a civil response to that one.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!