So after all my time away, still no DragonBall DragonBoxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

So after all my time away, still no DragonBall DragonBoxes?

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 am

Damn I swear I've been gone for years now and I still can't believe they haven't been released, what big news have I missed? How are the Blu-Ray Seasons? Worth buying?
El Conejo Malo

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: So after all my time away, still no DragonBall DragonBox

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 am

Bardo117 wrote: How are the Blu-Ray Seasons? Worth buying?
No, they're not. They're based on the orange brick transfers.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:46 am

Bardo117 wrote:Damn I swear I've been gone for years now and I still can't believe they haven't been released, what big news have I missed? How are the Blu-Ray Seasons? Worth buying?
Well they have been busy with other things like Space Dandy and AOT, so probably were more focused with them than DB Dragonboxes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:49 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:Damn I swear I've been gone for years now and I still can't believe they haven't been released, what big news have I missed? How are the Blu-Ray Seasons? Worth buying?
Well they have been busy with other things like Space Dandy and AOT, so probably were more focused with them than DB Dragonboxes.
It it's most likely Funimation aren't going to bother with Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes because they wouldn't sell as much as the DBZ counterpart would.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:34 am

sangofe wrote:
Bardo117 wrote: How are the Blu-Ray Seasons? Worth buying?
No, they're not. They're based on the orange brick transfers.
Not true, it's a new transfer. They're still cropped to 16:9 and overfiltered like crazy though... But it's not the same transfer as the Orange Bricks used, and these new ones seem to be somewhat less garbage to me. I mean sure, they still have major flaws, but those flaws don't seem quite as glaringly obvious as the Orange Bricks and their disappearing outlines.

But yeah, Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes? That ship seems to have sailed, sadly.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 am

Vegard Aune wrote:They're still cropped to 16:9 and overfiltered like crazy though... But it's not the same transfer as the Orange Bricks used.
Pretty sure that's what he meant by 'based on'. The same mindset was put into the editing process. Don't think he was literally saying it was the same.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Sadly I don't think we'll ever be getting the original Dragonball Dragon-boxes. Are the season sets worth getting? Well...I guess that depends on you. they are still cropped 16x9. I actually gave my Orange Bricks to my brother because I wanted these more. and with these new sets when the camera starts shaking animation isn't getting deleted like the orange bricks and we're not stuck with images like this
The bluray season sets are over-saturated too. I like the bluray season sets but in my opinion the dragon-boxes is the best dbz will ever look. I just can't see it looking better UNLESS! Funimation decides to actually do a frame by frame remastering like they did with the level sets but I don't expect that to ever happen again. I guess the next step is Toei remastering the series?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:56 pm

I think Funimation wants to move on to Blu-Ray. I think it's too late for the DB and GT boxes. The DBZ boxes were made as a limited edition thing and was made for the hardcore fanbase then the casuals. While the original DB show is the second most popular DB show next to DBZ, I don't think the DB boxes will do as great as the DBZ boxes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Simply by being a Dragon Ball property, the Dragon Boxes would likely sell more than most of the more niche shows Funi licenses. The Blue Bricks still rank pretty high on Amazon's anime listing.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 pm

If this, GT, and Movie boxes get released, I'd buy 'em. But, unlike the Orange Bricks/Blu-ray sets, the other releases are perfectly serviceable and not total trash.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Funimation wants to move on to Blu-Ray. I think it's too late for the DB and GT boxes.
Unless they are just going to upscale them and slap them onto a Blu-Ray, I think this is the sad reality. It's looking like my purchase of the DBBox The Movies and the DB Singles were justified. Thanks FUNI! :? (Sadly, I bought the DBZ Singles before the US DBoxes were announced, otherwise I could have saved some money)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:50 am

I've lost all hope for DB or GT Boxes. DB on BD I guess I can hope for. I don't think I want the season sets...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:02 am

I still have hope :) Would anyone believed, that someday, we will get Zyuranger on DVD in USA? I would expect them to release Movies first, since they acquire rights to it, together with Z
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:28 am

coola wrote:I still have hope :) Would anyone believed, that someday, we will get Zyuranger on DVD in USA? I would expect them to release Movies first, since they acquire rights to it, together with Z
I still have hope to, but I think they would acquire the original first and then bring out movies. That reason is the only one I have for them not releasing the movies yet bcuz they want them all one box. I could be wrong but y release a Db movie box then a Z, it wouldn't make sense.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am

SupremeSSJ wrote:I could be wrong but y release a Db movie box then a Z, it wouldn't make sense.
Money? Though I suppose it depends on if it would be profitable for them after figuring in how much it would cost to produce the different boxes and how much they could get away with charging for both.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:30 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
SupremeSSJ wrote:I could be wrong but y release a Db movie box then a Z, it wouldn't make sense.
Money? Though I suppose it depends on if it would be profitable for them after figuring in how much it would cost to produce the different boxes and how much they could get away with charging for both.
It will always depend on this -- but given the outrageous prices of the Dragon Boxes, that has to be some kind of signal to FUNI that money can be made (even if its another limited release).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am

ect5150 wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
It will always depend on this -- but given the outrageous prices of the Dragon Boxes, that has to be some kind of signal to FUNI that money can be made (even if its another limited release).
Exactly, I wouldn't mind an all in one box for $150.