Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:54 am

Time for the fourth iteration of this thread! For reference, here's the previous three threads: (V1, V2, V3).

Rules are the same: give your review/opinion on the Dragon Ball music piece shared by the above poster, then link to a Dragon Ball music piece of your own for the next poster to give their review/opinion on.

Let's begin:

Aitsu Wa Son Goku

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:44 am

Ah this thread again. Cool!

Let's see. Aitsu Wa Son Goku. Love it! So much going on in that song, the thumping and consistently fast beat, the sporadic guitars and the dreamy keyboards in the background. Also, hypnotic and nostalgic with the female vocal part. Soaring chorus which just furthers the awesomeness to incredible levels. Amazingly timeless anthem.

Next: Mezase Tenkaichi
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 am

6/10. A pretty good song musically, although the foreign language singing is a bit of a put off for me personally.

Next: Impending Doom
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:45 pm

It's a decent piece. The title of the piece is certainly correct; it does sound like Impending Doom is near. Not a huge fan of the arrangement, but the piece does a good job of giving off the appropriate mood.

Next: Budokai 3 - 12AM Shuffle (Also known as "12:00 Midnight Shuffle Time")

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Sounds kinda jazzy in a way I think it was used for the red ribbon theme in Budokai 3 but its pretty catchy

Next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAPl0bsAGyc (The braveheart challenges the strong)
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Plagiarism or not, Yamamoto made some pretty great soundtracks, and "The Braveheart Challenges the Strong" is no exception. The string work is well done, especially with how it transitions from the first epic part to the quiet part at 1:27. Whenever I used to watch Kai, I always enjoyed listening to that piece.

Next: M1018

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm

An upbeat piece that's full of energy, though that's probably why it ended up being unused in the movie it was made for. It does work quite well for the few things it was used in though.

Next up: M1508
-Joey

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Begins very mysteriously with the trumpets and the constant beat but manages to have that gag like tone through the use of the xylophones (?) and the piano. Love the uplifting and happy sounding end.
I can't remember off the top of my head whether it was really used in the scene that the video shows, but even so I think it fits these kind of scenes.

Next

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Reminds me of a piece you'd hear in a JRPG, like much of the GT soundtrack. Always been a fan of the harpsichord, and I think it works well with this piece. Overall, this piece is appropriate for Piccolo's death in GT.

Next: Goku Rides Kinto'un!!

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:55 pm

7/10 Reminds me of American saturday morning cartoon music

Next: A Threat is Near
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Ah memories shows just how awesome gba music sounded

Next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0h7zw ... 1&index=16 (End of a Tyrant)
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Very relaxing piece. I have never played Legacy of Goku, so I'm guessing this plays during the credits for the game? If so, it's very fitting. I watched Let's Plays of the Legacy of Goku trilogy and seem to remember Freeza looking like he was a tough son of a gun to beat in that game. This piece is a good decompression piece then for after beating a boss like Freeza in Legacy of Goku.

Next: Infinite World - Fight in the Cell

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Utterly chaotic and pure energy. I can't remember where it was used in the game so I have no clue whether it fitted or not but I think that doesn't matter so much seeing as it's music for a video game and since it's a DB video game, then it surely should be delivering an energetic rush which it succeeds.

Hurricane Challenger

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:21 pm

5/10 I think the song has a cool guitar riff at the start, but other than that it just sort of sounds like generic fighting game music
Next: Mysterious

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:24 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:A pretty good song musically, although the foreign language singing is a bit of a put off for me personally.
Being open-minded towards other cultures and languages will only benefit you in the long run, my friend.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 am

Neat piece, atmospheric, though maybe a bit too atmospheric for my tastes. I prefer a more defined melody most of the time. Though in it's defense, it was 30 seconds.

Son Gohan's Theme

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 am

Begins with a sonorous piano barrage and then transforms into this interplay of calm and almost melancholic parts versus more energetic piano parts. It kind of really fits Son Gohan's being, with the calm parts representing his shy and modest nature and the sudden piano moments mirroring his uncontrollable rage bursts. I like the UB22 version more, though. Feels faster and sounds more chaotic and powerful.

Next: Genkidama

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:49 pm

M1420 has always been one of my favorite Kikuchi pieces. That chorus is incredible accompanied with the instrumental in the piece. When you hear this piece, you know it's over for Kid Buu and that peace is about to return to Earth.

Before I clicked on your link, I actually thought it was the Genki Dama song from Budokai 1. So, I'll post that one next.

Next: Budokai 1 - Spirit Bomb

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:M1420 has always been one of my favorite Kikuchi pieces. That chorus is incredible accompanied with the instrumental in the piece. When you hear this piece, you know it's over for Kid Buu and that peace is about to return to Earth.

Before I clicked on your link, I actually thought it was the Genki Dama song from Budokai 1. So, I'll post that one next.

Next: Budokai 1 - Spirit Bomb
I like it. It has a pretty catchy brass piece, and its overall triumphant, rockin' feel would make for good training music. It's kinda hard for me to imagine Goku charging up the Spirit Bomb with this playing, for some reason.

Next: Kai Final Chapters - Goku
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:04 am

I'm not too familiar with Kai's soundtrack since I stopped watching it midway through either the Freeza arc or Cell arc (can't remember which), but this piece is very good. The guitar surprised me, but in a good way. It fits really well with the context of the song. The orchestral part reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack a bit, which is a soundtrack I love. Overall, it's a nice combination of upbeat orchestral music and electrical guitar.

Next: Battle of Gods - Bulma's Birthday Party