Check Out Akira Toriyama Mansion ;)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Check Out Akira Toriyama Mansion ;)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:17 pm

Attitudefan wrote:But rich guys gotta be rich, right?
Yes. If they've earned it, they deserve it. Toriyama busted his ass for fifteen years of weekly serialization. And he was lucky and skilled enough that millions of people fell in love with and decided to buy the product he was putting out. And so he reaped the rewards. It should very much be up to him to decide what to do with the results of his success, not the government. I wouldn't ask that Toriyama have to give up 80% of that work any more than I would ask that a beleaguered retail worker give up 80% of *his* paycheck. That is simply not a fair share for anybody.

Also, thank you, rereboy. I do understand the philosophy behind it. It's not one I necessarily agree with, not to such an extent anyway, but I appreciate you bringing up the other side of the issue.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Eire wrote:
he lives an eccentric lifestyle: not drinking alcohol
ROTFL. Some things just refuse to change, no matter where you are.
Well, as much as excessive drinking is ingrained into the culture in Japan (there are plenty of TV ads for remedies for the results of such excess, but rarely the suggestion that perhaps people simply shouldn't drink so much), the reason Toriyama didn't drink is because he got red-faced drunk way too easily. He only started drinking alcohol in earnest during the Dragon Ball days, but complained about how it made him feel in his Jump comments.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:31 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Well, as much as excessive drinking is ingrained into the culture in Japan (there are plenty of TV ads for remedies for the results of such excess, but rarely the suggestion that perhaps people simply shouldn't drink so much), the reason Toriyama didn't drink is because he got red-faced drunk way too easily. He only started drinking alcohol in earnest during the Dragon Ball days, but complained about how it made him feel in his Jump comments.
Is that a Japanese thing? My friend said he didn't drink because he got drunk too easily and didn't want to kill himself.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:47 am

So do we know anything about Toriyama's parents, and childhood other then he liked to draw pony's (Or whatever?)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Yes. If they've earned it, they deserve it. Toriyama busted his ass for fifteen years of weekly serialization. And he was lucky and skilled enough that millions of people fell in love with and decided to buy the product he was putting out. And so he reaped the rewards. It should very much be up to him to decide what to do with the results of his success, not the government. I wouldn't ask that Toriyama have to give up 80% of that work any more than I would ask that a beleaguered retail worker give up 80% of *his* paycheck. That is simply not a fair share for anybody.

Also, thank you, rereboy. I do understand the philosophy behind it. It's not one I necessarily agree with, not to such an extent anyway, but I appreciate you bringing up the other side of the issue.
I just watched a CNN blurb on Japan's airline CEO. He cut his own wage, earning less than the pilots. The wage gap between top executives and the employees is not big. Unlike the USA. Again, Japanese people, from all walks of life, have higher living standards than those in the USA.

The me me me mindset in the USA is toxic to the masses. It's all about greed and it keeps the elite on top, by design.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 pm

I know they call FUNimation "The House Built on Dragon Ball", but Toriyama's pad is literally the house built on Dragon Ball.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I know they call FUNimation "The House Built on Dragon Ball", but Toriyama's pad is literally the house built on Dragon Ball.
Because he secretly loves his creation but hates to admit.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Taxes took away 4/5ths of his earnings?! That's ridiculous!
A very American, right wing, response.

All the wealth that the 1 percent of people in America have, there's places like Detroit and Chicago.

And that screwed up Healthcare you guys have. My god, for an industrialized country, you have public works and Healthcare that would be considered third world by international standards. Don't think I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm a political science student, and we discussed this in class just the other day.

Japan isn't like that. Most people are relatively wealthy.

But rich guys gotta be rich, right?
A very left wing response and not remotely the entire truth.
I'm with Gaffertape on this, Toriyama deserves whatever success comes his way.
On a different note, does anyone know why smoking isn't a big deal in Japan or has that changed?
I would always figured Toriyama would live more of a remote area. Cool house, wish we could see on the interior.
I figured the same thing. Given how insular he seems, I always imagined him being somewhere rural.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:

I just watched a CNN blurb on Japan's airline CEO. He cut his own wage, earning less than the pilots. The wage gap between top executives and the employees is not big. Unlike the USA. Again, Japanese people, from all walks of life, have higher living standards than those in the USA.

The me me me mindset in the USA is toxic to the masses. It's all about greed and it keeps the elite on top, by design.

Says the canadian. :lol: :thumbup:

Turtle bits

Post by Turtle bits » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Its always interesting to hear some one from another countries opinion on the US, and I mean that seriously, I often wonder if it allows for a more clear and openminded viewpoint.

But on the topic, that is completely amazing. It looks like a cross between a mansion and one of those indoor Mcdonalds play grounds, its gotta be the absolute coolest place inside.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm

The design of the house makes me love him even more. I also would love to see inside. I can't imagine that it would be pretentious.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:

Yeah, some day i may be able to move there. you have to be rich or someone special to get around.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, some day i may be able to move there. you have to be rich or someone special to get around.
Not really, where'd you get that idea? Sure, some places like CA have insane real estate prices (mostly due to zoning laws), but there are plenty of places where the cost of living is affordable.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 pm

I meant move to Japan someday, to kansai, chuubu or kanto or any region of Japan even hokkaido where its cold.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41 pm

I wish he gave us a tour of his house maybe a lottery of 10 lucky fans get too see the interior and maybe glance a small peak on his new dragon ball movie lol
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:06 pm

SaiyaJedi, you lived in Japan right?

I know Japan is extremely overcrowded and their standards of what constitutes a "mansion" are probably much different from America's.

So by Japanese standards, just how big would his property be considered to be?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Taxes took away 4/5ths of his earnings?! That's ridiculous!
A very American, right wing, response.

All the wealth that the 1 percent of people in America have, there's places like Detroit and Chicago.

And that screwed up Healthcare you guys have. My god, for an industrialized country, you have public works and Healthcare that would be considered third world by international standards. Don't think I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm a political science student, and we discussed this in class just the other day.

Japan isn't like that. Most people are relatively wealthy.

But rich guys gotta be rich, right?
I'm sorry but a classroom discussion doesn't make you an expert on the US. If the quality of US healthcare is so horrible, why do people from all over the world (including Canada) travel to the US for surgery?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Not exactly on topic and kind of a necropost...but while we have some great doctors, the actual health care system sucks hardcore.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 pm

We have the best healthcare system on the planet- if you can afford it.

Because healthcare costs are skyhigh the best doctors often gravitate to here and plenty of money is pumped into RnD. (though a lot is siphoned by executives at useless corporations)

It has its positives but, again, that's only if you can afford it. There's a lot of overcharging that goes on in the medical system.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Word.

People with means seek out U.S. healthcare because we have some of the best specialized medicine in the world. We have that because far more money is pumped into it, and for everyone involved, healthcare costs far more (and far more, having briefly worked in a realted industry, than it needs to).

Whether that kind of top-care-for-top earners access is worth the great amounts of people who aren't able to afford it at all is up to you. The U.S. is currently one of the only, if not the only, developed country where citizens can go bankrupt due to necessary healthcare though, even among other capitalist democracies.

Toriyama's house is quite large for Japan. Not mostrously so, but still big.