What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 pm

It makes me relived Koyama isn't still writing scenarios for the franchise; especially after what he said about Brolli in relation to Beerus.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:God, can we not turn this to an "I hate Broly" club, guys.
If Broly wasn't the worst case of creators pet in Dragon Ball, maybe there wouldn't be so much disdain for him.
Bardock is too, but there's no disdain for him. He was only "canonically" in the series for a chapter or two.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm

"Let's hate Bardock because he appeared in just one chapter". I just can't stop laughing. :lol:

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm serious. All he did was just stand in space only to get disintergrated by a meteor, so he didn't really fight Frieza. He's playable in almost every game too, just like Broly, yet Broly gets all the shit.

Now I'm not hating on Bardock or anything, I'm just starting to get sick of the hate I see for Broly here. I know the Broly fanboys are mindless buffoons, but come on.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:It makes me relived Koyama isn't still writing scenarios for the franchise; especially after what he said about Brolli in relation to Beerus.
Wait, what did he say about Broly in relation to Beerus?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:21 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I'm serious. All he did was just stand in space only to get disintergrated by a meteor, so he didn't really fight Freeza.
This is what TV Special shows, that is why this is the perfect moment for Bardock to appear in Fukkatsu no F as a flashback of that scene, and for us to see what is Akira Toriyama's view about "Bardock vs Freeza".
EXBadguy wrote: He's playable in almost every game too, just like Broly, yet Broly gets all the shit.
It is cool you mentioned that. Did you know that it took Bardock 14 YEARS to appear in a video-game? Do you know how long did it take to that thing to appear in a video game?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:24 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It makes me relived Koyama isn't still writing scenarios for the franchise; especially after what he said about Brolli in relation to Beerus.
Koyama wrote:And so, as for substance of the issue at hand…….

In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

By all means, please see this work, which had a turnout of one million people in the first six days it was out.
Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/07/07/ta ... e-of-gods/

Made me think if he were still on staff we'd have gotten a 4th Brolli movie with a 5th one on the way. @_@ *Would not want.*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:27 pm

If you said that it feels "like some of the "heart" is gone", I would agree with you. For the last decade, give or take, Dragon Ball has been an evergreen franchise fearful of taking new risks and running on largely supplemental content, and it shows. It is one of the reasons Battle of Gods was great; it was a fiscally heavier product (by comparison, Jacob), revived a format we thought was long dead because Dragon Ball's glory days were over (the DBZ movie), and had the attention and thoughtfulness from Akira Toriyama that the original anime and movies series effectively got none of. Dragon Ball had something new to hype for the first time this century. Unsurprisingly, Revival of F is a much safer feature, but then in this case better to have loved and lost.

There are some decisions I would not have made, but they are not anything that compel me to overthink it. Dragon Ball Minus, however, is weird, for the existentially and narratively extraneous reasons Gaffer Tape mentioned.
Quebaz wrote:Most what-ifs that Dragon Ball Heroes bought us.
But they're funny in Dragon Ball Heroes! It fits perfectly with the story being about the experiences of avatars interacting with Dragon Ball characters, rather than a "pure" Dragon Ball story.
Dyno wrote:
EXBadguy wrote: He's playable in almost every game too, just like Broly, yet Broly gets all the shit.
It is cool you mentioned that. Did you know that it took Bardock 14 YEARS to appear in a video-game? Do you know how long did it take to that thing to appear in a video game?
Truth. Bardock of was Budokai 3, Broly was what, Super Butoden 2? As in while the series was actually still going?
While I agree to the moon (whether or not its currently there :clap: ) that we do not need any more extraneous beefcake in Dragon Ball, I really don't see Koyama's comment as anything more than him being reminded of his current detachment from the franchise. Even the brevity of his compliment at the end suggests that.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:Made me think if he were still on staff we'd have gotten a 4th Brolli movie with a 5th one on the way. @_@ *Would not want.*
Don't... Just... Don't... :sick:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Koyama wrote:And so, as for substance of the issue at hand…….

In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

By all means, please see this work, which had a turnout of one million people in the first six days it was out.
Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/07/07/ta ... e-of-gods/

Made me think if he were still on staff we'd have gotten a 4th Brolli movie with a 5th one on the way. @_@ *Would not want.*
Geez, he seems to really like Broly to the point where he hated the idea of any other villain surpassing him.

I will agree that Broly is one of the most frightening DBZ villains though (once transformed). That's about it. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Dyno wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:He's playable in almost every game too, just like Broly, yet Broly gets all the shit.
Broly made his debut in Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, which was originally released in Japan on December 17, 1993, nine months after his debut in his first movie. However, a cheat code is required to access him. He has since appeared in 18 Dragon Ball video games, the highest for any non-manga character in the franchise.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:33 pm

Dyno wrote:
Broly only appeared in Super Butoden 2 during the old days and took 10 years to reapper in another game, fine, you have a point. But are any of the games putting a gun to your head to play as Broly or to watch his movies? Heck, you don't see me act like Toei nor Toriyama put a gun to my head to accept the angels and go see the movie. Hence why I stayed away from the movie thread cuz of loss of interest, though still wanna see the movie with an open mind.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:35 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Broly only appeared in Super Butoden 2 during the old days and took 10 years to reapper in another game, fine, you have a point. But are any of the games putting a gun to your head to play as Broly or to watch his movies?
Did DBZ Kinect, though? I don't know.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Broly only appeared in Super Butoden 2 during the old days and took 10 years to reapper in another game, fine, you have a point. But are any of the games putting a gun to your head to play as Broly or to watch his movies? Heck, you don't see me act like Toei nor Toriyama put a gun to my head to accept the angels and go see the movie. Hence why I stayed away from the movie thread cuz of loss of interest, though still wanna see the movie with an open mind.
Classic line, but I must say nowadays it is a no valid comment anymore since he continues to appear in every sort of way; by images, by opening scenes, by characters selection, by midia, by suck-ass fanboys, by comments everywhere... There's no way I'm not gonna see him whatever I do to stay away, so the line "there isn't a gun in my head" has become now an invalid argument.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:47 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:The cheap Animation I've been seeing. That hits me the hardest...
Oh yes, this!

I'm actually so glad Toei took the cheap way and 'remastered' old footage for Kai instead of re-animating it. It's so weird to see how many people wanted Kai to be re-animated from scratch when the 'new style' Dragon Ball animation is so ugly

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:48 pm

I've vented my spleen a lot recently in other threads, so rather than re-tread that, I'll just say 'the mindset of a lot of current fans'. Like, seriously. Ugh.

(Just to be perfectly clear, what I'm about to quote and respond to has absolutely no connection to my prior statement - I just want to touch on it and may as well do it in the same post.)
Gaffer Tape wrote:Dragon Ball Minus screws all of that up. Raditz has pretty much nothing accurate to tell Goku other than that he's an alien. All of the other points have been retconned away. There's no irony in Goku saving Earth. He was sent there to save his own life, so of course he'd need to keep the planet around. There's no irony in Goku outclassing Vegeta. Being sent to Earth was doing him a favor in the first place, so of course it proved to be advantageous to him.

That's why Minus is so bad. It alters the later parts of the DB story for something far less interesting and does it all just for the sake of some boring, throwaway, meaningless half-narrative that's not even interesting on its own, let alone interesting enough to justify its ramifications.
I dunno...I'm not defending Minus in any way really, as I didn't really care for it either...but honestly, I don't see that much harm in it either. I put it on about the same level as Episode of Bardock, ironically - something kind of neat to see at least once, but not really much worthwhile content in it in the long run.

I mean, maybe if Goku actually found out about this new reason for him having been sent to Earth, and there was some touchy-feely moment of him, or others, being happy that his original story of being sent to Earth to destroy it isn't true after all, cuz it's always secretly haunted them...then I would fully agree that it's destroying things. But as it stands, nobody alive in DB knows the truth, and it's made absolutely no effect on anything in-universe as a result of it.

...Though really that just makes the story all the more pointless to have told us, to. Huh. Guess it's a good thing I really wasn't trying to defend it. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:48 pm

The Toriyama glasses. If plenty of this stuff happened in GT, we'd harp the hell out of it. However since "The Toriyama" is head writer (Yes THE TORIYAMA OMG), then shit turns to gold. Minus being let go mostly cause it's a tiny incredibly short dumb story. So it's pushed aside no problem because it ain't a full manga or movie.

GT character use possibly making it's return. Goku and possibly Vegeta to an extent being all that matters.

SSJ God. A cool concept that kinda ended up dumb for me. Should have been achieved and overall look differently. Hell it seems so bad that they may never actually use the form again. A testament to how lame it is.

Stealing Gohan's attributes instead of just using Gohan. We had Vegeta be awesome by not giving into his pride, and Beerus calling him a skilled warrior. However that rage scene belongs to Gohan. It's his thing, or none of that surpass SSJ3 bullshit for Vegeta. SSJ Gohan being a thing and SSJ Goku not being a thing. Hell I think I'll start calling Goku, Ultimate Goku now, since it's very appropriate for his new change.

The fights. I dunno they don't seem that great. I liked SSJ Goku vs Beerus, but it was short lived. Everything before that wasn't that memorable. Well Goku punching a hole through Kaio's planet was, but nothing else.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm

My main qualm would have to be the introduction of the SSJ God as it degrades a lot of characters, I also found Tarble to be incredibly tacked on and hard to believe.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Dyno wrote:; by images, by comments everywhere
Don't look at them, then.
Dyno wrote: by characters selection.
So skip him.
Dyno wrote: suck-ass fanboys .
Ignore them.

Dyno wrote:opening scenes,.
He only appeared in a few, but you can skip them.

*sigh and shrug* All I can say is welcome to Kanzenshuu where we tend to hate when the fans love and love what the fans hate. I think I'm gonna put that as my signature.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:19 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:The Toriyama glasses. If plenty of this stuff happened in GT, we'd harp the hell out of it. However since "The Toriyama" is head writer (Yes THE TORIYAMA OMG), then shit turns to gold. Minus being let go mostly cause it's a tiny incredibly short dumb story. So it's pushed aside no problem because it ain't a full manga or movie.
'Toriyama glasses' might be one thing, but you know, it wouldn't kill you or a good handful of others to show the man some respect either. You do realize he still made the stuff you actually do seem to still enjoy, right?

There's also absolutely nothing stopping anyone who doesn't like the newer stuff from going 'I think this is my stop' and get off of the franchise moving forward. The old stuff will always still be there to enjoy, just ignore the newer stuff if it's so 'terrible' and brings you such pain, rather than constantly looking at it and going 'THIS IS ALL WRONG, WRONG, WRONG'. It'd save everyone some headaches.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)