Spam-bots: Time To Take A Stand.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Spam-bots: Time To Take A Stand.

Post by Steven Perry » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:43 pm

If its a war they want, it's a war they'll get. They're ruining the experience of this forum. This is pretty bad.

Is there any way to tackle them?! :x I remember that on some sites, when you register, it asks you to input a code from an image (to prove that you're human). Is it possible to introduce it to this forum, or is it ineffective?
Last edited by Steven Perry on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:47 pm

Well, if we did that wouldn't everyone that is already registered have to re-register?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Well, if we did that wouldn't everyone that is already registered have to re-register?
Hmmm... I don't think so. If it was introduced now, wouldn't it only apply to the people who registered after that point? Right?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:52 pm

The point may be moot, I was under the impression that EX wasn't exactly computer savvy. He hasn't gotten around to fixing that black skin* problem yet.

-edit-
*That sounded bad. I mean the forum style selection, the one called "FI Black", that breaks the forum until EX manually changes it back for you.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:01 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Well, if we did that wouldn't everyone that is already registered have to re-register?
I don't know about you, but if that were indeed the case I would be the first one in line. It'd be a small price to pay to get rid of that @#$%ing stupid ass garbage.

Keep me appraised.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:06 pm

I can't claim to be an expert on forums but I doubt people would have to re-register. I agree that it would only affect new people, and an image would certainly cut down on bots like this.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:31 pm

desirecampbell wrote:The point may be moot, I was under the impression that EX wasn't exactly computer savvy. He hasn't gotten around to fixing that black skin* problem yet.

-edit-
*That sounded bad. I mean the forum style selection, the one called "FI Black", that breaks the forum until EX manually changes it back for you.
That happened to me. The only option for this forum is silver, don't chose black..!
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:46 pm

Is this thread even necessary? Jesus tapdancing Christ on a Christ cracker, when Mike doesn't manage to kill a bot within a few minutes of it appearing (because heaven forbid he have a JOB that keeps him away from the online community for a good chunk of the day), he gets accused of being lazy, not on top of things, and not tech savvy. I love you guys, and totally understand your frustration, but c'mon, I don't think you're thinking realistically here. Bots WILL happen, and while there are long-term solutions (some of which I'm sure Mike would be happy to discuss), some of them fall through the cracks every so often... and mods can't be there ALL the time just to catch them.

[Just to show that I'm as annoyed by these bots as you (but am understanding of Mike's work situation), I ended up killing the bot myself by logging on and cleaning shit up myself. I was only able to do this because it's a slow work day at my job, and no one is breathing over my shoulder, heh. I try to do my best to clean up stuff in Mike's and Julian's absence, but that's a very rare occurrence.]

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Must... kill... Spam-bots...

They make posts even more unnecessary than me! :shock:

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
Hmmm... I don't think so. If it was introduced now, wouldn't it only apply to the people who registered after that point? Right?
Well what about the spam bots that are here already..?
-Edit- The pic above says it all.
Last edited by Mr.Piccolo on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Meri wrote:Is this thread even necessary?
That's what I kind of thought when I saw this thread and I agree with everything else you said but...
Meri wrote:Jesus tapdancing Christ on a Christ cracker
The image you just put in my head made this thread very worth it. :o

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:36 pm

I'm going to back up Meri here, by saying that you guys need to get outside more or something. :? It's very rare that I see any spam bots on this forum, and I log on at least 3 times a day to check posts. Many times more if I have a day off and at times when Mike definitely wouldn't be around, like very late at night. Do you guys sit here for 5 hours a day or something in order to see this?

Are they honestly that big a problem that you think some "big war" needs to declared? I go to a lot of forums where the problem is ten times worse than here. This thread is just as useless and a waste of space as the spambot threads themselves. >> Oh and ironically, that picture is a form of "spam" too.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Meri wrote:[Just to show that I'm as annoyed by these bots as you (but am understanding of Mike's work situation), I ended up killing the bot myself by logging on and cleaning shit up myself. I was only able to do this because it's a slow work day at my job, and no one is breathing over my shoulder, heh. I try to do my best to clean up stuff in Mike's and Julian's absence, but that's a very rare occurrence.]
Meri? You do stuff here?

Wait . . . who are you again? :D
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:14 pm

Meri wrote:Is this thread even necessary? Jesus tapdancing Christ on a Christ cracker
I don't know if this is becuase I'm kind of drunk, but that is the funniest (ok I am drunk as I just had to spell check funniest) thing I have seen wrote in quite a while! Really I almost peed a little!
Jerseymilk wrote:Do you guys sit here for 5 hours a day or something in order to see this?
:( yes, 5 hours may even be a bit too short :cry:

I have to agree though, the key confirmation when you register though could be a good idea though!
- Scott

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:20 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Meri? You do stuff here?

Wait . . . who are you again? :D
Shhhhsh!!! I lurk in the shadows!! *whoosh*

Yeah, "christ on a christ cracker" is one of my new fave sayings lately. :D

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:21 am

This spambot problem isn't going to go away and yet we can't do a damn thing about it. It's Mike's problem and not ours. This is a sort of spammy topic and we are doing no better than your better than average spammer. We just need to leave it to Mike to handle the riff raff. That's what an admin does on his webboard. Yeah, it's wrong for people to put up filthy links and clog OUR board with shit, yet they do it for one purpose. To get a response from the people they harrass. If you see a spammy topic IGNORING it is the first line of attack against such foolery. Mike will delete accounts and topics if he deems them to be spam topics/ spammy users. Like I said, leave it up to him.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:25 am

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, Bardock. The whole point of this topic was to simply ask if anything could be done, even if it's a rather minor issue right now. Just a simple question wasn't it?

To be honest, this was the first spambot I've seen here. It's so rare that it's hardly a problem, but that doesn't make the question any less relevant.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:00 pm

What's so hard about ignoring and not posting to the spam topic?

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Magica wrote:What's so hard about ignoring and not posting to the spam topic?
Exactly the point I would like to make.

We, as the members of this forum are smart enough to know a spambot, or even some jerk posting to span websites when we see one.

I think that we should really just ignore them. The fact that we've even made a topic like this is proof that we're letting them got to us. We really just need to ignore it.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303