DragonBall Z Movies 1-3 (Box Art and Retail Prices Inside)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

DragonBall Z Movies 1-3 (Box Art and Retail Prices Inside)

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Well, here we go.

The DBZ 1-3 movie pack finally has an image to go with it over on the RightStuf page, along with a pre-order price of $22.49.

Amazon doesn't have a listing yet (or at least I was unable to find one).

cd Universe is also missing a listing, though it's noteworthy to mention that they're still offering pre-orders on the Complete Vegeta Saga for $20.64. Go buy it, already and save a crapload of $$$!

Walmart has no listing as of yet.

And finally, Circuit City has a listing for 24.99. I was betting that they'd be the lowest price, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

So while we have a few offers, not everyone has chimed in yet. I don't mind paying RightStuf's $22.49, but I can't help but wonder if Amazon will offer it for less. Anyone else know of any other listings or find a better deal than RightStuf?

Well, anyway . . . comments on the box art, the retailers' prices or corrections and additions concerning either can go here. Enjoy!
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Shit. I want this, but I can't buy anything until Wii drops. Atleast I'll have Sparking! NEO for it at launch!

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:19 pm

I've already got my preorder of the Vegeta Saga, but i'm holding out for a movie box set at some point. I don't want to pay $8 a movie and then find out I can get all 13 movies for less.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:45 pm

When's that Vegeta boxset supposed to be coming out, anyway?!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:03 am

Best Buy beats out everyone with a price of $19.99. That's the same price as last year's DB Movie Set.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... id=1602609

As for comments on the boxart.... it's average. I still don't like the fact they use screencap art instead of using any of the numerous pieces of artwork produced for these 3 movies. But, for the price, and an top-notch subtitle translation, it's all good to me!

And Kendamu, the Season One/Vegeta boxset is supossed to come out in early 2007, according to FUNi's responses at cons and press statements. We'll probably be hearing more on it within the next couple months...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:33 am

My thoughts exactly, regarding the box art. Hopefully, the covers on the dvd cases will be the original cover art the japanese version used.

I am definitely purchasing this.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:38 am

Kendamu wrote:When's that Vegeta boxset supposed to be coming out, anyway?!
cduniverse gives us a release date of February 6th of next year. Though by no means 100% official, they did have the correct release date when the set was originally sceduled for a September 2006 release.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:53 am

Kula wrote:I've already got my preorder of the Vegeta Saga, but i'm holding out for a movie box set at some point. I don't want to pay $8 a movie and then find out I can get all 13 movies for less.
I already have all the other Movies. So I'm definitely picking this up, and am quite excited to do so. I guess my brother is going to get my UUE version of Dead Zone, though. :)
Snail wrote:My thoughts exactly, regarding the box art. Hopefully, the covers on the dvd cases will be the original cover art the japanese version used.

I am definitely purchasing this.
Well, that's what they did for movies 9, 10, 11, 12, and 12. And their Movie 4 cover was a recreation of the original.

Though, I admit, the UUE Dead Zone cover looked pretty good.

But frankly, anything beats their 'cut and paste' methods of taking pictures straight from the show and usually redrawing them as the entirety of the cover art. Which the did from when they started Z at the Ginyu Arc up until the end.

I think the art on the UUE covers actually looked pretty good. And their GT covers were okay.

As for Dragon Ball... well, it was just a busier 'cut and paste' job from the looks of it.

The Batman

Post by The Batman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:12 pm

This is pretty sexy; the first two movies are probably my favorites, actually. The original English dub is worlds ahead of FUNimation's, though (I actually liked pretty much all of the English voices originally), so I probably won't end up buying this. :|

... Then again, I don't have World's Strongest or Tree of Might on DVD, and since it is just $22, I'm awfully tempted...

denitonis
Beyond Newbie

Post by denitonis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm

Well what about Dvdpacific:
http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=755522
17,08 Dollars, or is there another reason why you shouldn't buy there?
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Shonen Jump has an advertisement for this box set and includes pictrues for the individual cases

http://www.freewebs.com/sly_upload2/scan0001.jpg
Thanks goes to Gozar of the Funimation forums for the picture.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:15 pm

The Batman wrote:This is pretty sexy; the first two movies are probably my favorites, actually. The original English dub is worlds ahead of FUNimation's, though (I actually liked pretty much all of the English voices originally), so I probably won't end up buying this. :|

... Then again, I don't have World's Strongest or Tree of Might on DVD, and since it is just $22, I'm awfully tempted...
I agree with you on dubbing quality but I'm buying these for their Japanese w/subs. I only watch the dubs when I have friends over who can't help but complain every other minute that Goku and Krillin "sound weird".
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:44 pm

Well there goes my hope of them having the original JP boxart. Oh well, I like'em anyway.

RC315
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RC315 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:36 pm

The ultimate uncut edition look. Looks slightly better than the Pioneer releases.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:24 pm

Why does it still say Ultimate Uncut Special Edition on the top of the Dead Zone DVD. Bah! Nothing makes sence anymore!

They kind of stand out. Like they don't belong with the other DBZ DVD's. Oh well, such is FUNimation. Not to bad though, pretty sleek looking.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:39 pm

Eew. I hate how the other two DVDs just stand out so much. And also, I like how the world's strongest doesn't have a little "-the movie" because it would take up too much space.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 pm

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:27 pm

Out of all the badass Goku poses FUNi could have picked for movie 3, why the HFIL did they go with that one?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:02 am

So much for dropping the whole Ultimate Uncut Edition style... :?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:13 am

Finally - The First Three Dragon Ball Z Movies on DVD

Above is what the ad says. Below is what the ad comes off to me or anyone who's already seen or bought the first three Pioneer released movies years ago.

"Yes..uh..those three DVDs that Pioneer released were uh..fakes! Yes, that's it! They were fakes! These are the REAL deal ones! With all the action packed POWER! You think you know Z? YOU DON'T KNOW Z!"

This is about as untruthful as the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" stamp on top of Dead Zone's cover.