Finally an unbiased/fair review of Dragonball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vegeta4
Banned

Finally an unbiased/fair review of Dragonball GT

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:43 am

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and been a big DB fan for years now. Recently I bought completely legal Dragonball GT DVDs at an anime store :D ............ and want to give a completely honest/unbiased review of it.
Reason? I believe that an actual fair/unbiased review of DBGT is incredibly hard to find online. Most reviews I find start with: "I started watchin this "Non-Akira Toriyama" piece of crap and after watching the first 3 episodes I threw up on the DVDs and never saw the show again....GT SUCKS!!!!"
While I do believe that the fact that Akira didnt write it affected my initial response to the show, I still think that since this could be the last piece of new Dragonball (a franchise we all love) we will ever get, it shouldn't be just forgotten or bashed as if it was some terrible fan fic.
So here is my FAIR review of DBGT: (of course I cant go into every little thing about the show, but ill just talk about the important parts)

Bebi Saga
***First off let me say that I am a fan of the dubs (thought FUNI was great with the Buu saga). But the DBGT dub would have to go down as maybe the worst thing in history (maybe not the voices, but the music/editing/feel of the show was terrible...........and I think what contributed to the bad responses it's been getting in North America.) So I'm reviewing the Japanese version here:

-My initial thought of the show is that it followed a pretty logical chain of events that would have happened after the end of DBZ: Gohan stopped fighting, Goku still casually training, Goten being a lazy bum (popular with the ladies), Vegeta softening up (yet still keeping with some training), etc etc etc. But besides all that, I quickly noticed something: This isnt a sequel to DBZ but really a sequel to DB , with DBZ characters (or a mixture of both in a way).
Knowing this, I quickly started to enjoy the show on the same level of the original DB (the campy jokes, the light feel of it all, etc). Not only that, but the fact that the show goes out of it's way to give you nostalgic moments (IE: when Roshi sees Goku as a kid again) and many moments that eco the original DB (IE: Trunks dressing as a woman, the DB hunt etc).......I actually enjoyed much of this. (Felt that the franchise was going full circle with a return to Dragonball type show).
-The STORY?: First of all, about the plot holes: In the DB universe, pretty much anything goes. There isnt a plothole in GT that cant be "fanwanked" in a way. (Even Pilaf being alive can make sense in that Dende wished for the "MOST evil ppl to not return" (If Pilaf can really be considered diabolical too).
But considering that people complain about this and not the fact that in the original DB: Goku uses his stick to go to the MOON(!) ......it shows you a lot about the bias that this show gets.

Now: The STORY? It was decent. The first part through space never gets bad enough that it ruins this saga but it's not really fantastic either. It's just average to good (The dancing brothers were great, I really enjoyed them)
Things start to get interesting when they get to the Bebi part, which is an interesting villain but has many "hit and miss" aspects still. (IE: the character isnt really all that interesting, yet he has a few important moments that make him stand out from even the DBZ villains : turning Golden Oozaru <just like the Saiyans killed the Tsufrurians> was very ironic, etc).
Let me get to what I liked/didnt like:

DIDNT LIKE:
- Bebi was an alright villain in general
- Making the "Z" warriors fairly useless in this. Though they do serve a purpose in the final battle, many people would have liked to see Trunks/Goten fuse or even have a significant impact in the battle (atleast finishing off another important villain). But in the context of the story, it made sense since Bebi was pretty much SSJ4 in power by the end of his saga.
- Pan was slightly annoying and sort of useless
- Gohan could have been used more: He's one of DBZ's most likeable characters. (Yet again, his story officially ends even in Akira Toriyama's mind at the end of "Z" when Gohan completely forgets fighting). <Also his Elder Kai transformation was somehow lost, though it's not too important...it still could have been used, YET it's clear that TOEI wants to make Goku the main character here by having absolutely no one challene him in terms of power.)
- Some of the fights werent very well drawn (IE: in Z there was some great hand to hand fighting while here you'd have the fighters just blast eachother with weak ki blasts for about 20 minutes of an episode).
- Not explaining the SSJ4 transformation much. (or how he can "return" SSJ4 after being a kid just like nothing)
- Using the Namek Dragonballs to wish back earth was just lazy writting. (but it served to establish the next saga)
- Some bad music.
- Bebi's death was anti-climactic.

DID LIKE-
- I thought most of the jokes were just right in the spirit of the original DB. (IE: Vegeta's moustache cracked me up everytime i saw it <people really have to lighten up>. Also all the jokes including Vegeta and his family were spot on, some could say up to par with Vegeta's best jokes from DBZ).
- SSJ4= Fantastic looking transformation. (also the actual transformation had a lot of heart put into it. It was very emotional when it happened.). I loved that it showed how the saiyans changed so much since their origins in DBZ. (Goku seemed very "Wild"/"Beastly" and yet dressed in such an elegant way. Very symbolic. It was great.)
- The surprisingly touching moments that I didnt expect from GT. (from all the bad reviews this got, I thought this was just going to be a 64 episode "ki fest" with no heart or respect to the original 2 series.) - Goku reaching for Planet Earth, Goku saving Pan from Oozaru baby, Piccolo's death were perfect.
- Good figthing scenes near the end.
- Golden Oozaru was a FANTASTIC idea. (Incredible that Akira never thought of it..........I'm sure he would have added it to the Buu saga if he had.)
- The Bebi story was all in all important to the DB saga in giving the saiyan race redemption (showing how different they were since the Tsufrurian war so long ago)
- Good music all around (different than Z but still enjoyable)
- Having 3 of the best ending songs in the history of dragonball and a fantastic oppener.
--All in all I enjoyed the Bebi saga. (the rest of the stuff i didnt mention: Goku as a kid, the black star balls........I'm pretty neutral in the matter. I believe they were fine in the continuation of dragonball (if a little farfetch with another set of balls...........but it still fits and works in some degree).
***** Now I had heard for years that DBGT "gets really good after the Bebi saga". So I thought I was in for a treat. Unfortunately, here is where most of the criticism actually lies.
Last edited by vegeta4 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44 am

PART 2 of REVIEW

(Super 17) /Shadow Dragon Saga

***First off, I think that seperating the "Super 17 saga" and the "Shadow Dragon Saga" is as dumb as seperating a "Dabura saga" from the "Buu saga" (or how Funimation did in their site by making a "Trunks saga").
The Super 17 story is completely part of the Shadow Dragon saga, and the fact that Hell opens up is in direct relation to the theme of "the dragonballs breaking the natural order of the universe"

-STORY- Now the story was already done in Movie 12, but if you were to only watch the series part of the show, this would be pretty original. Unfortunately it wasnt as good as it should have been (they take the trouble to bring Nappa back <great scene> but dont bring Radditz back <would have been great to see>. Also the "hell fighter 17", "ppl having bodies in hell" (which was established in the anime........which this is a sequel to, NOT the manga), the way "Hell Fighter 17" was created <although it's never said in detail, so many can guess in the way he was created <I have my own theories in order to suspend disbelief for this saga>. But besides all that, the general story was great for the final DB saga.
The whole "Dragonballs being overused" was the 1 thing that always hurt DB in general...and bringing it up here was great. And lets not forget that the DBGT ending fixes the (shockingly) unsatisfying ending that DBZ had (Goku leaving to train Uub).....in what is by far the most perfect ending they could have ever come up with (just explodes with emotion) <I'm sure even Akira would have shed a tear or two watching it>

***Btw, seperating the "Super 17" and "Evil dragon" sagas only makes them both weaker individually. Together they are much better (If it were a movie: having an oppening like the Super 17 stuff would be incredibly awesome).
***Also it really does feel like the final DB saga as pretty much every character is given a role at some point (or atleast given a cameo): The gods, Krillin, Roshi, the Z fighters, all the past villains, the new dragons, Shenron, Android 18/17, etc.

- what I DIDNT LIKE:
- Dr. Myuu: Terrible character: enough said. (not 1 good thing can be said about Myuu, except his voice acting is good <guy who did Android 13>)
- Lots of mistakes in the villains (Cooler? What the...?)
- Dr. Gero in general was boring.
- The design of about 1/2 of the evil dragons.
- Some of the fights being quite boring (mostly in the evil dragon part)
- The personalities of some of the dragons (plus the last one being as 1 dimensional as you can get). <just mediocre writting>
- Goku here obviously being the focal point of everything (in the last saga, lots of characters got their moments to shine, and having Goku at the end didnt seem "over done".). But here: It gets a little predictable (though this happens in almost every DBZ movie and in many of the sagas (Saiyan (fails though)/Namek waiting for Goku to show...............or Cell : waiting for goku to show <yet he fails this time>............or in Buu: having Goku fix all their mistakes by the end.
-*** Having the Z warriors get their asses completely handed to them throughout. (though this is good and bad ...ill explain why later). But for the bad part: It was just frustrating to see Trunks (who was never all that strong ...but still) or Vegeta get completely toyed with vs. all the villains here.
- Again, not explaining the SSJ4 transformation (which seems something like "Fusion" (sort of) as they get new clothes).
- Making the SSJ4 seem to week just showed that there was really no limit to what any villain could get to in this franchise. If they were to make a SSJ100........then a villain would just be as strong as SSJ500 for whatever reason they chose to make up.
- Having Pan go with Goku to fight all the dragons (good and bad in a way). <Good in that it kept with the "DB" feeling....getting more serious as it goes on <remember: this ISNT DBZ>>
- Some plot points from "Z" changed/ignored (but still can be "fanwanked" ........still, it's a distraction :IE: I found myself asking many times: "Why does 17 have Ki?"
- Having Vegeta vs. Goku sub plot revived. (though not the same way <now Vegeta was pissed but not out of hatred, he just wanted to be at a similar level as Goku again> ........but still it felt like a rehash)
- Some dumb parts (IE: Gogeta giving the "Negative Energy ball" a "Positive charge" with his knee lol)

***Yet, again, coming from a franchise where the main character can jump to the MOON in the original DB and survive.........anything is possible here (and forgivable). The point of Dragonball was always an "anything goes" feeling that really gave you the feeling that anything could happen.

What I LIKED:
***Let me just say that knowing that this is the final DB saga. I was expecting all the DB fighters to somehow die and was brought to the edge of my seat many times).
- Also I felt that TOEI made this saga with all the love and respect they could. IE: all the general nods to many DB/Z moments were touching. (Vegeta grab Goku when in Oozaru etc). Also the ending was the greatest ending they could have ever done for Dragonball. Absolutely perfect (as said before).
- When I had heard that "Goku was going to be the only character that mattered" , I thought it would be just Goku kicking everyone's ass with the other characters not even bothering to be drawn by the end. Yet many characters had their moments :(IE: Vegeta claiming to be the "Earth's protector" to Super 17 showed how far Vegeta came from the saiyan saga <Even in the Buu saga he wouldnt have said that).
- SUPER 17- was really really really cool (nothing "deep" about him. Just generally badass and fun to watch).
- *** Having the Z fighters get beaten- was <in a neutral way of seeing things> very shocking (you knew 17 was strong, but not THIS strong). It was a very violent and well done battle.
- My favorite shot of GT (and one of my top 5 in DB history) - Having all the saiyans turn SSJ (along with Uub Powering up) while Super 17 just stands in the hole= DB magic at it's best. TOEI really delivered there (classic moment).
- SSJ4 Gogeta= hilarious. One of the best parts of GT (and well done characters of all DB, even if you consider him a copy of Gotenks. He was great <He was what Gotenks WISHED he was when he thought he was so powerful vs. Buu>).
- Vegeta turning SSJ4 made sense (if you can make the "brute waves" like Vegeta did in the saiyan saga, you can make it like a machine..........it makes complete sense). Loved his design too.
- The ending being in the spirit of DB/Z/GT (very symbolic- having "Z" type battle, with GT transformations and "DB" elements of farfetch comedy <Goku eating the Dragonball was hilarious) <Also having Gohan dress up in his old Gi was good nod to "Z">.

***All in all, the entire saga was done out of the backlash for all the "comedy episodes" that the Bebi saga had. So this is literally all out fighting throughout.
It had many hit and miss moments, but all in all it put the franchise away in the most proper of ways imaginable.

- I do believe that the reason people try to ignore "GT" is cause they believe that DB/DBZ were absolutely perfect and that "GT" ruins it (as similarly "Godfather 3 ruins the trilogy for 1 and 2"). But the fact that not only can this show be as good as DB/DBZ but at times having BETTER elements than the 2 classics. (music, comedy, animation, some plot points) shows that this isnt the "piece of crap" many ppl say it is.

The only sequel that can be forgotten (with justice) would be : Highlander 2 (or Mortal kombat 2)....and trust me: GT is by FAR not in the level of those sequels. There are even parts of "Z" that have made me shudder.

***NOTE: What I was looking forward to GT the most was to have some good interaction scenes with the characters (in the spirit of the classic DBZ scenes). Besides the fighting, I do think that it's what DB is all about. I can say that I was satisfied. The scenes at the start of the Super 17 part, the multiple Vegeta/Goten scenes, the "Black Dragon" scenes <where Elder Kai insults Bulma> etc etc etc. Were all very well done.
- GT has many mistakes that shouldnt be forgotten either. Also, while many things were done right, there were also many wasted chances to make the show even better (seeing an adult Gotenks would have been great).
- People say that adding SSJ4 was stupid. For me SSJ3 was stupid ........but that isnt where DB's greatness lies. What seperates this series from other animes is it's "charm" (jokes, classic character interactions/moments).

In the end, I was satisfied. I did feel that the Dragonball ideas were starting to run dry and it was time to end the franchise. Many parts I liked, many I didnt (could have used more detail in the lives of the "Z" warriors, but seeing them live their lives casually was good) ........but the ending was so perfect that it made you forget about everything and let the show die in the true spirit of dragonball.
(Had this show completely raped everything that DB and Z established, showing no respect to the characters we loved, and rushing/changing everything in hopes of making a quick buck..............I could understand the justification to forget it. But this show shows that it does have respect for DB/Z and it tries it's best to be a worthy ending to the franchise. For that reason, I think this show should not be cast aside and forgotten as so many people have done already.

***Also: I felt that TOEI had balls to stick with the "Kid Goku" and ...general "GT" ideas they had from the start. They could have easily cracked from the pressure and killed off Pan/made Goku like he was in "Z" after Bebi................but by following through, they made this show distinct from DB and Z.

thanks for reading guys :)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Finally an unbiased/fair review of Dragonball GT

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:59 am

vegeta4 wrote:Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and been a big DB fan for years now. Recently I bought Dragonball GT for about 30 bucks (burned) and want to give a completely honest/unbiased review of it.

Not a bad review at all, but it would be in your best interest not to say that you bought an illegal/burned copy of DragonBall eps. on this board...

...Especially since GT is the cheapest DB series to purchase here in R1.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:18 am

A nice read. I've been meaning to purchase and watch GT for a while now and this review helps me in this decision. Right after I fully prepay for my copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 am

I sense a good yell from VegettoEX coming this way... :shock:
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:25 am

Well... very good. I'm happy to say that I read through the whole thing, and, agree with you about pretty much everything.

The way I've always viewed GT, is that, while, honestly, it's overall still inferior to DB/Z, that, like you've said, it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, even though bad dubs of it don't help. The overall wider and interesting elements it introduced (Saiyan/Tuffle histories and developments, consequences of DragonBall overuse, the pure awesome that is Super Saiyan 4, etc...) were unbelievably ingenious, interesting, and good... in concept. But unfortunately, the mass amount of plotholes, too much attention solely on Goku, and too-common poor character designs (half the evil dragons, and a few of the heroes, for that matter) tend to detract from the overall experience of the series. But overall, if you can put that aside, and don't mind reading subtitles, then GT can be very enjoyable.

Also, I agree with you immensely about Super 17. Just because his saga didn't make much sense doesn't mean he and it weren't cool, especially that "Super Saiyan ring-around-the-rosie" moment you pointed out. Personally, my prime reason for liking that saga was because the action within it was on the scale it should have been in GT. Goku and Super 17 were landing punches so hard that they were knocking eachother clear across entire continents! You can't telll me that isn't spectacullar.

P.S. - One of my biggest irks about the japanese version, by the way, is that they play DAN DAN as background music waaay too much, and often at inappropriate moments. I mean, it's a great song, sure, but it doesn't make much sense to play it when two hugely powered characters are beating the living crap out of each other.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

vegeta4
Banned

Re: Finally an unbiased/fair review of Dragonball GT

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:39 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
vegeta4 wrote:Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and been a big DB fan for years now. Recently I bought Dragonball GT for about 30 bucks (burned) and want to give a completely honest/unbiased review of it.

Not a bad review at all, but it would be in your best interest not to say that you bought an illegal/burned copy of DragonBall eps. on this board...

...Especially since GT is the cheapest DB series to purchase here in R1.
lol I fixed it above.

And thanks guys. (I actually hope that people DONT agree with me. It makes for good conversation. <And I wouldnt have spotted many of GT's errors had it not been for some good criticism <which it well deserves>)

And I'm surprised that people read the whole thing, I thought i didnt organize the points too well.

But let me say that I still hold Dragonball very close to me (I know I will forever) and think that the "GT" topic is one of the most important yet ignored topics in all of the DB communities.

Being as it could well be the last part of the show that we care so much about, I thought forgetting about it would be a crime.
(especially since because GT wasnt as detailed in everything like Z was <where you knew exactly how strong some characters were, why everything happened etc>, it gives a lot of room to talk about stuff. (mostly because so many things are left open)

Thanks for your thoughts.

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Well... very good. I'm happy to say that I read through the whole thing, and, agree with you about pretty much everything.

The way I've always viewed GT, is that, while, honestly, it's overall still inferior to DB/Z, that, like you've said, it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, even though bad dubs of it don't help. The overall wider and interesting elements it introduced (Saiyan/Tuffle histories and developments, consequences of DragonBall overuse, the pure awesome that is Super Saiyan 4, etc...) were unbelievably ingenious, interesting, and good... in concept. But unfortunately, the mass amount of plotholes, too much attention solely on Goku, and too-common poor character designs (half the evil dragons, and a few of the heroes, for that matter) tend to detract from the overall experience of the series. But overall, if you can put that aside, and don't mind reading subtitles, then GT can be very enjoyable.

Also, I agree with you immensely about Super 17. Just because his saga didn't make much sense doesn't mean he and it weren't cool, especially that "Super Saiyan ring-around-the-rosie" moment you pointed out. Personally, my prime reason for liking that saga was because the action within it was on the scale it should have been in GT. Goku and Super 17 were landing punches so hard that they were knocking eachother clear across entire continents! You can't telll me that isn't spectacullar.

P.S. - One of my biggest irks about the japanese version, by the way, is that they play DAN DAN as background music waaay too much, and often at inappropriate moments. I mean, it's a great song, sure, but it doesn't make much sense to play it when two hugely powered characters are beating the living crap out of each other.
If you like Super 17, then you'll enjoy this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF-TDLVyq0

(It's the best GT video on the net IMO <just fits the battle perfectly with the song ....a metal/techno remix of the Super 17 thing.> Everything I love about DB is highlighted/edited really well here.

- About DAN DAN (which I agree is a great song). It's (again) hit and miss. At times it's totally out of nowhere. (Forget exactly when...but I remember saying to myself that it just "didnt fit" the scene.
But there are times that it's just perfect (IE: Goku with the genki dama........or when the Dragonballs get absorbed by Goku etc, are surprisingly very well done).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:57 am

vegeta4, I only have one question: what continent do you live in? If it isn't North America or Australia, then I can kind of understand buying burnt discs. But if you're living in one of the above places, there is NO excuse to going for illegal downloads following FUNimation's DVD releases of the series. And hell, there's also nicely done saga box-sets of the series (albeit the first is a starter set), so there's no excuse on not buying the R1 GT releases and getting a good deal. FUNi's release, while some anal visual-quality fans will complain about its color/bitrate/whatnot to no end, is 100% Uncut and in pretty darn good quality with Steve Simmons' superb subtitles leading the way (MUCH better than what you'd find from "Super5"). A piece of advice: give the burnt discs to a 10 year old kid in a shelter and buy the FUNi discs, you have no excuse.

And oh yeah...decent review, but work on spell-checking before Vegetto EX/Mike chews you anew. Also, it wouldn't hurt to show respect to Akira Toriyama by calling him Mr. Toriyama, Toriyama, or even just Akira Toriyama. Calling him plainly "Akira", unless you personally know the man on a first-name basis, just reeks of disrespect.

Welcome to the world of Daizenshuu EX, where harsh welcomes are meant to help!

EDIT: You didn't buy any legal GT DVDs, you clearly originally stated you bought burnt discs...it's one thing when you're telling the truth, but now you're starting to lie. >_>;;
14 years later

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:18 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:vegeta4, I only have one question: what continent do you live in? If it isn't North America or Australia, then I can kind of understand buying burnt discs. But if you're living in one of the above places, there is NO excuse to going for illegal downloads following FUNimation's DVD releases of the series. And hell, there's also nicely done saga box-sets of the series (albeit the first is a starter set), so there's no excuse on not buying the R1 GT releases and getting a good deal. FUNi's release, while some anal visual-quality fans will complain about its color/bitrate/whatnot to no end, is 100% Uncut and in pretty darn good quality with Steve Simmons' superb subtitles leading the way (MUCH better than what you'd find from "Super5"). A piece of advice: give the burnt discs to a 10 year old kid in a shelter and buy the FUNi discs, you have no excuse.

And oh yeah...decent review, but work on spell-checking before Vegetto EX/Mike chews you anew. Also, it wouldn't hurt to show respect to Akira Toriyama by calling him Mr. Toriyama, Toriyama, or even just Akira Toriyama. Calling him plainly "Akira", unless you personally know the man on a first-name basis, just reeks of disrespect.

Welcome to the world of Daizenshuu EX, where harsh welcomes are meant to help!
Well, now that the "burned" fact is out. This is exactly how I got GT:
(I live in Canada by the way)

I woke up 2 months ago and went to an all asian mall outside of Toronto (called Pacific Mall). My friend is a huge fan of anime and so we walked into 1 of the 20 anime stores in the mall.

Once I saw him going nuts over the new animes I thought to myself: "Man...I've been putting off watching GT for about 6 years now. I should really pick it up"

- I go to the counter and ask the guy : "How much?". He had the entire Box Set of GT (well it was the entire Funimation DVD collection put together). He says: 120$ (real thing).
- However it turns out that right when I was about to buy it, he got in an argument about prices with my other friend and so I ended up no buying it there.

Suddenly, I walk outside and overhear a guy from an anime store right in front of the one I was at. He grabs the EXACT same cases (yes, the FUNImation cases) , except that inside were burned copies of the DVDs (with all the features working: subtitle, language, etc).............for only 30$.

Now either you're an employee for FUNImation or you'd have to be a complete IDIOT not to take that deal (again, i even got the cases hehe).

I take the DVDs home and give a sigh of relief as the DVDs play perfectly.

And about the "Akira Toriyama comment": I'll take that as sound advice. So thanks.
(My respect for Akira Toriyama has no limits, but don't think that because I said: "Akira", I'm trying to disrespect the man. (I know how in some cultures that might be taken as a sign of disrespect).

But for me being from Canada (and also since I was raised a few years in south america), saying the first and last name isnt a sign of respect: It's just inconvenient :D )

Me saying: "That Akibu....that japanese guy....." would be a sign of disrespect.

But thanks for letting me know how things work around here. I'll keep that in mind next time.

EDIT- Didnt think people would take notice of the "burned part" (it was just a passing comment). But yeah, just read the rules and I wont mention them anymore).
Last edited by vegeta4 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:22 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:

EDIT: You didn't buy any legal GT DVDs, you clearly originally stated you bought burnt discs...it's one thing when you're telling the truth, but now you're starting to lie. >_>;;
Dude, I'm obviously being sarcastic in my edit of the first post (i thought the smile was giving it away ":D ")

It's as if I was in court and suddenly said: "Yeah I stole...........er..........I mean paid for the diamonds"

lol , dude lighten up.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:01 am

My Comments
Yeah, my brother started his GT DVD collection and from what I've seen so far its: (1) afforable enough for you not to *cough* buy fake ones and (2) calling them underrated is an understatement.

For a long time I didn't like GT because Toriyama wasn't heavily involved in it. In a sense, you can see it as a "professional fanfic". But after watching the episodes again, I see its a strange combination of early DragonBall and mid-DragonBall Z. For those who haven't seen it, its still Goku, still villians, and still DragonBall.

The Review
Some of the plots were interesting but I didn't like the pace the show was moving in. Needless to say, the lost episodes were less than appreciated in my house. :) Aside from that, the Baby/Bebi Arc was my favorite. If you were a fan of the Cell and Buu Arcs, then you should have no problem with this one.

The only thing I can complain about is the obvious dependence on Goku and numerous plot holes within the story. Besides that, GT was good for its 64 episode run. What do you guys think..?

P.S. Was the first review was very long or am I very lazy..?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:03 am

vegeta4 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:<Snip all the cool stuff SSj Kaboom said>

If you like Super 17, then you'll enjoy this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF-TDLVyq0

Heh, that was pretty good. Here, you check this out...

My Super 17/Doom Trailer

It's a really old thread, so don't reply...
deviantART
[thread]

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:45 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
vegeta4 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:<Snip all the cool stuff SSj Kaboom said>

My Super 17/Doom Trailer

Uh, dude I can't find the link to play it (I'm on the site , but on which link do I click on?)
<When I click on "Local" it sends me to some pledge site and clicking on anything else sends me to profiles or other pledge sites>

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:08 pm

vegeta4 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
vegeta4 wrote:

My Super 17/Doom Trailer

Uh, dude I can't find the link to play it (I'm on the site , but on which link do I click on?)
<When I click on "Local" it sends me to some pledge site and clicking on anything else sends me to profiles or other pledge sites>

The "Pledge" thing is just a little beg-a-thon they do before they let you download a video (I consider my videos to be my contribution to the site). At the bottom of the "Please Pledge" screen, there'll be three buttons; two are "Pledge, and one is "Proceed." Guess which one you need to click on. But look closely at the buttons before you click; their order is different every time.

EDIT: Rrrgh.... darn it! Something's screwed up with the BBCode; it keeps not italicizing things, even when I've perfectly entered the code! Is this happening to anyone else?
deviantART
[thread]

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:56 pm

good trailer (the voices matched it fairly well and I didnt hear too many problems with the sound).

But good job (I could tell the effort put into it)[/quote]

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:41 pm

- I do believe that the reason people try to ignore "GT" is cause they believe that DB/DBZ were absolutely perfect and that "GT" ruins it (as similarly "Godfather 3 ruins the trilogy for 1 and 2"). But the fact that not only can this show be as good as DB/DBZ but at times having BETTER elements than the 2 classics. (music, comedy, animation, some plot points) shows that this isnt the "piece of crap" many ppl say it is.
Going slightly off topic: In addition to suming up GT, I think you just sumed up the Buu saga as well. I just made a topic about the Buu saga recently and I think many fans feel the same way about it as they feel about GT.

But yeah, GT isn't the putrid waste everyone makes it out to be. Bebi is by far the best villian and his saga was the most involving. I also thought it was fitting that the final saga of the franchise involved a search for the Dragonballs like it did in the beginning and that the ending gave the franchise a better sense of closure than the ending of Z did.

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:56 pm

oh I love the Buu saga.
People always say how it's very "formulaic" (sp?). But even though Buu's history wasn't very interesting (seemed to be written in 1 minute, making up for it with his badass design), the saga was fantastic (brought back some of the best comedy in DB history, has incredible fights, and the story becomes very adictive by the time Vegeta dies)

(and who cant love Dabura in heaven?) 8)

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:08 pm

vegeta4 wrote:oh I love the Buu saga.
People always say how it's very "formulaic" (sp?). But even though Buu's history wasn't very interesting (seemed to be written in 1 minute, making up for it with his badass design), the saga was fantastic (brought back some of the best comedy in DB history, has incredible fights, and the story becomes very adictive by the time Vegeta dies)

The anime version of the Buu saga is alright except I HATE seeing Dabura in heaven. When I originally saw him I thought "What a great idea for a villian". Yet in the anime he goes from being a complete badass to a wimp. Now I know you will all say "lighten up" but C'MON... he's the/a devil :evil: ! I wouldn't mind if he turned "good" like Piccolo or Vegeta did but he just became wussy. :x :x :x

Anywho, thank you for this detailed but concise personal unbiased (mostly) review of GT. I will comment more when I finish reading it... it's concise in that it is not an essay but it is still long! :shock: :lol: Oh and welcome to these forums!!! 8)

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:47 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:
vegeta4 wrote:oh I love the Buu saga.

The anime version of the Buu saga is alright except I HATE seeing Dabura in heaven. When I originally saw him I thought "What a great idea for a villian". Yet in the anime he goes from being a complete badass to a wimp. Now I know you will all say "lighten up" but C'MON... he's the/a devil :evil: ! I wouldn't mind if he turned "good" like Piccolo or Vegeta did but he just became wussy. :x :x :x

Anywho, thank you for this detailed but concise personal unbiased (mostly) review of GT. I will comment more when I finish reading it... it's concise in that it is not an essay but it is still long! :shock: :lol: Oh and welcome to these forums!!! 8)
yeah thanks man. (unfortunately I cant type much longer today).

I had a lot more criticism for the show but didn't want to make it too long.

IE:
- Frieza and Cell being made jokes of.
- Pretty much the fights vs. the first 4 dragons were mediocre (didn't get interesting until the Fire and Ice ones showed up)

- I remember loving the King Yamma <sp?> scenes when he's screaming at Piccolo or stamping all the villains back into hell.

There's a lot that are just a matter of opinion
(IE: I never laughed so hard in my entire life at seeing DAbura in heaven. It's IMO the best comedy scene in DB history, and that's saying a lot since DB is incredible with comedy)

But if you got the point of my 2 reviews: It wasn't to defend GT. I just wanted to argue that the "Trend" to ignore or bash GT without giving it a 2nd look (especially since it's the last part of DB we're likely to ever get), isn't justified. (I can understand "not being a fan" but only Highlander 2/ MK2 deserve the reputation to be "completely forgotten".