How big was papaya island? ( the world tournament island )

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How big was papaya island? ( the world tournament island )

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 am

The island looks bigger than a average country. It looks bigger than managascar.
it's also interesting that Piccolo managed to level that island.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How big was papaya island? ( the world tournament islan

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Daizenshuu 4 claims it's as big as a small continent.
This came up recently in another thread about destructive capabilities, but I can't recall which one.
EDIT: this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&hilit=

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Well, you gotta remember that this is a flattened representation of a spherical object, so there's going to be distortion in the size. It's like how Greenland looks like it could be as large as Africa in some maps, when in reality it's nowhere near the size of Africa, or any other continent. Those kinds of flattened maps tend to have increasing distortion and inaccuracy along the northern and southern poles (which Papaya Island is near) so it'd probably actually be like a quarter as big as the map is showing it, if even that.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:40 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Daizenshuu 4 claims it's as big as a small continent.
This came up recently in another thread about destructive capabilities, but I can't recall which one.
EDIT: this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&hilit=
Wow... I don't know whether to be impressed by its size or the fact that everyone on that mini - continent sized island managed to evacuate in just the duration of the fight. :lol:

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 am

For me, it's still an island. I can't view it as a small continent, unless I'm biased by my own country size.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:02 pm

flashback0180 wrote:Wow... I don't know whether to be impressed by its size or the fact that everyone on that mini - continent sized island managed to evacuate in just the duration of the fight. :lol:
But isn't the islands only feature the Budokai Tournament and the city surrounding it? If so, it's understandable how everyone could evacuate, lol. Though, as I've been discussing with rereboy, the world has provinces which were worded to sound like just cities. So given a population of 6 billion the average amount of people living on Papaya Island would be 140 million.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 pm

I don't think the number is thaaaat high. In my island there are barely over 1 million people and it seems bigger than Papaya Island.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:24 am

Hugo Boss wrote:I don't think the number is thaaaat high. In my island there are barely over 1 million people and it seems bigger than Papaya Island.
Japan has a population of 127 million. And it is 22x smaller than your country. With it being only 378 thousand square km compared to your 8.5 million square km. According to wiki your countries population is 200 million. I wouldn't be so quick to judge considering that Papaya island is pretty large. Probably to scale it would have as much landmass as Japan. Perhaps more. As dbGTFO said the Daizenshuu claims it's as big as a small continent. The smallest continent on Earth is Australia with around the same area in squared km as your country.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 am

I used my city, which is located in a island, as a reference. It is nowhere near the size of Japan or Brazil. Even so, my island is a bit larger than what is depicted in this picture of Papaya Island:
The Daizenshuu may be off.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:35 am

I don't know how you can pertain the size of this island without another reference point. In the actual world map, to scale, the island could easily be the size of Japan or bigger. Unless we put something in our world next to the island to compare it, like Japan, there is no way to know. Also, you're using an anime picture here. I believe the manga doesn't even show the island so the point is really moot on its scale. Because the anime will take artistic liberties on those sorts of things anyway.
Last edited by Hitiro on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am

I think the only time we get a full look at the island in the manga is when Piccolo decides to do some landscaping at the 23rd Budokai. But all we really see is a huge explosion covering the island, nothing really to provide a sense of scale. Even if there were though, do we take it literally? A lot of Toriyama's art is exaggerated; like Gotenks' aura compared to the Earth in the Buu Arc.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Isn't the sea behind Goku? From the center of the explosion the distance doesn't seem big.

Though, I also remember Nappa erasing a city with an explosion that looks almost like he is destroying a small continent.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 pm

The sea is behind Goku. But I assume that the Budokai is in the southern part of Papaya Island. Because Goku also dodges a blast by Piccolo in the air that travels a good distance and destroys mountains in the distance.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How big was papaya island? ( the world tournament island )

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:35 pm

BUMP

did Toriyama draw those maps? and did he supervise the Daizenshuu ?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:26 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think the only time we get a full look at the island in the manga is when Piccolo decides to do some landscaping at the 23rd Budokai. But all we really see is a huge explosion covering the island, nothing really to provide a sense of scale. Even if there were though, do we take it literally? A lot of Toriyama's art is exaggerated; like Gotenks' aura compared to the Earth in the Buu Arc.
I know this comment is months old but how is Gotenks aura around th Earth exaggerated art? A lot of times in comics and manga art isn't drawn to scale and objects can seem much bigger than there post to be.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: How big was papaya island? ( the world tournament island )

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I know this comment is months old but how is Gotenks aura around th Earth exaggerated art? A lot of times in comics and manga art isn't drawn to scale and objects can seem much bigger than there post to be.
T-That's basically the definitions of the word "exaggerate"...

--To represent [something] as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is.
--Enlarged or altered beyond normal or due proportions.

Intentional or not, the aura is larger than it should be if it were properly scaled. Therefore it is exaggerated.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)