Best DB Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Best DB Movie

Post by tx3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

what is the best movie and why?

Dyno
Banned

Re: Best DB Movie

Post by Dyno » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Movie 12.

Because Janemba... Well, he is Janemba. The villain with the best design and with the best and unique techniques. I really wanted for him to have more character development, he would be the perfect villain ever in Dragon Ball franchise.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Dyno wrote:Movie 12.

Because Janemba... Well, he is Janemba. The villain with the best design and with the best and unique techniques. I really wanted for him to have more character development, he would be the perfect villain ever in Dragon Ball franchise.
This.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Fusion Reborn. Good fights, cool and funny villain, good comedy without taking too much screen time away from the action, Gogeta, and fun plot.

2nd would be Wrath of the Dragon, and 3rd being Bojack Unbound (kinda random, shitty villains though).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 pm

My favorites:

Movie 1:
It was really cool to see some post-23rd TB pre-Saiyan character interaction from everyone. Goku and Piccolo are still enemies, Kami actually fights, and we have great scenes like Gohan pissing on Krillin.

Movie 2:
Pre-Super Saiyan stories are generally really enjoyable for me. We see Oolong do stuff here and even Roshi gets a good fight.

Movie 3:
We get to see all of the earthlings do battle together, Goku included. It's like the Saiyan arc's team up but better.

Movie 11:
Bio Broly was really unconventional as far as DB villains go. Also really enjoyed having Goten, Trunks, Krilling, #18, and Mr. Satan in the spotlight.

Movie 12:
Gogeta's first appearance, and he doesn't mess around. Jenemba has really interesting abilities. Gotenks vs Hitler is awesome. And it's cool to see a bunch of villains swarming the Earth.

Movie 13:
I always enjoy stuff from the post-Buu timeskip.

Movie 14:
Loads of fantastic character interactions, and Beerus was an awesome addition to the pantheon and character roster. Vegeta got character development as well.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

I have difficulty seperating the films because there's a few I really like. I think there's some really good ones in the mix. I'm a big fan of the two Cooler films for a start as well as the first Broly film, and I think Fusion Reborn and Wrath of the Dragon are stand outs too.

If I was forced to pick a favourite I'd probably go with Battle of Gods and the reason being that it had a little bit of everything I love in Dragon Ball. Maybe not as much action as I'd have liked, but it really made me laugh and I still get a chuckle even now when I watch it and I've seen it 7 or 8 times at this point. It was a magnificent re-itroduction to the series and the chracters. Hoping of course that Resurrection F comes along and blows it out the water!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:39 pm

I really, really liked the first Cooler movie (movie 5) and the Cyborg 13 movie (for some reason). Definitely my favorites. But if I could tell you how many times I saw movies 1-3 as a child...jeez, I just have a special place in my heart for them lol Even if it was with the Ocean cast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Battle Of Gods, hands down. It had everything I loved about Dragon Ball; wacky humor and gags, great character interactions, Vegeta getting his character developed and explored a little more, awesome fights, good animation, a great OST and really cool fights.

And of course, BOG gave us Beerus and Whis, two of the most original and unique antagonists that Dragon Ball have had in nearly 20 years.

Fusion Reborn comes second, with Wrath Of The Dragon third.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Battle of Gods, because it's a perfect mix of all the best aspects of Dragon Ball, the action, the comedy, tension, wacky over the top powerups, and great character interaction.

It also had Beerus, who, as far as I'm concerned, is the best thing to happen to the franchise since the Freeza Arc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Battle of Gods, because it's a perfect mix of all the best aspects of Dragon Ball, the action, the comedy, tension, wacky over the top powerups, and great character interaction.

It also had Beerus, who, as far as I'm concerned, is the best thing to happen to the franchise since the Freeza Arc.
meh....dont agree ..I dont see Beerus as a villain..which he isnt ..and thats why it had no impact on anything ..the whole film is like ..no tension at all ..u cant tell from the beginning that they not fighting till death which mad this whole thing pointless.
would say BoG is boring 6/10 i must admit from designs point he is interesting.

best Villian is Broly ...but his story is so damn stupid it hurts ....its so so so so so bad soooo bad a 4 year old would write a better story than that. i couldn't enjoy the movie at all because of that ...and vegeta which was crying like crazy

it's hard to find a good movie they all kinda bad

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Movies 1 and 2 were pretty fun for simplistic plots and had some fantastic animation and action choreography. Movie 12 is plain fun. Movies 8 and 13 are the few of the original movies that actually had a real plot, and Battle of Gods is a refreshing deviation from typically Movie formula and was aided by a great "villain" and character interactions.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:33 pm

tx3 wrote:
meh....dont agree ..I dont see Beerus as a villain..which he isnt ..and thats why it had no impact on anything ..the whole film is like ..no tension at all ..u cant tell from the beginning that they not fighting till death which mad this whole thing pointless.
I agree.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm

BoG obviously, since the antagonist of that movie was actually very interesting and had a personality, something we never had before! I would say Movie 13 was also pretty good, mostly for Tapion as per usual the villain was absolutely awful.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Tree of Might by a mile. Every hero contributed something worthwhile, Turles and his men were badass and there was no moronic Super Saiyan nonsense. Plus it got the best dub score and dub voice cast (Levy score + Ocean cast twice). Also the Big Green dub version of it has the most quotable lines (Let that Child alone etc).
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Battle of Gods, because it's a perfect mix of all the best aspects of Dragon Ball, the action, the comedy, tension, wacky over the top powerups, and great character interaction.

Really hope you hadn't written this post because now I have nothing to say.

But yes, I agree, Battle of Gods was the best movie. Most of them were mediocre anyway, with the exception of 12 and 13.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Battle of Gods for too many reasons to mention.

The others almost literally can't compare to it. I know it's a matter of opinion but the others movie just arnt as good, period.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Bullza wrote:Battle of Gods for too many reasons to mention.

The others almost literally can't compare to it. I know it's a matter of opinion but the others movie just arnt as good, period.
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - IMDb
www.imdb.com/title/tt2263944/
Rating: 7.3/10 - ‎12,338 votes

Dragon Ball Z: Tree of Might (1990) - IMDb
www.imdb.com/title/tt0142233/
Rating: 7.2/10 - ‎3,296 votes
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Bullza wrote:Battle of Gods for too many reasons to mention.

Well i agree the movies are not good ...Fusion reborn had best fighting scenes of all the movies, Gogeta did suck though ( double knee kick lol ) ..maybe 20 sec. and it was over :/
BoG is the most cinematic one, but still not a good movie period ...it has a weak plot ...better say an non existing one...it has weak action.. the Humor was really bad imo ..logic holes ..and bad writing all over the place. i did not like the SSJ god Transformation either ...just my taste

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:09 pm

I agree with Bullza. Battle of Gods introduced some of the best antagonists in the series, good character and story developments, expanded the universe, solid character balance, great animation, and a fantastic change of pace.

For the most part, all the other movies are really lame, watered-down versions of events that took place in the series. The only improvement was Fusion Reborn's plot over the Boo arc. I really wish Boo turned out to be like Janemba—opening hell and allowing all the Z-Fighters to get some great battles.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Battle of Gods all the way :D :D
Loved the character interactions :mrgreen:
And loved Beerus character of course :D :D
Sleeping until the tournament is over.