Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonEric84
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 pm

tx3 wrote:
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:Here are some of mine:

* I hate the villains of the show. I know they are supposed to be evil, but I don't like them.
* I don't think Chi-Chi is a bad mother. I have a mother and a few family members who has similarities to her, and that's why I'm so defensive of her.
* I dislike Babidi, Sopopovich, and Supreme Kai as characters.
* I think Vegeta is one of the worst fathers. Sure he has his good points, but fans ignore a lot of his bad parenting and make him out to be an angel. My father was like that, which is why I get annoyed when people say Vegeta is a perfect father.
* I love the Buu and Cell Sagas, and the Saiyan and Freeza Arc are my least favorites.
* I'm not all that excited for the new DBZ movie coming out.
* Although Android 18 is my favorite female character, I disagree on her being the least bitchy.out of all the females. Least annoying and aggressivewould be the better phrase to describe her.
* I actually love Adult Gohan and Videl. I don't hate Pan, but she's not my favorite character.
u hate the Parent aspect in Dragonball ..really this is what bothers you ...hahaha what are u, a worried soccer mom?
vegeta is a warrior what do u think he does of course he is a bad father...his progress made him a better father with time. wow....haha who gives a crap..also chi chi sucks ..but thats part of the humor, so who cares ..she is a side character no one should care longer than a sec for her BS.

i agree on the villiains except Freeza and vegeta .. really good fights there..cell ark was weak as hell..boo was meh..

It's extremely counterproductive to this thread to laugh at people because their opinions differ from yours. Can't you ask them why they feel this way without being so rude? I'm not trying to mod, but you may want to take another look at the forum rules because in nearly every thread I've seen you post in, you've been unnecessarily rude and have horrid grammar (and yes, I saw that you're not a native speaker, but I don't think it's too much to type "you").
Trans rights, now!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 am

-If you aren't watching it in Japanese, I don't feel like you're part of the discussion. It's like a fan of the Lord of the Rings films trying to discuss the vast canon of JRR Tolkien's works with a Tolkien scholar, as if the two were actually seeing the same thing (hint: they weren't).
-Takao Koyama is a way better writer than Akira Toriyama.
-DBZ Movie 3 is criminally underrated; Being better than virtually everything else to come out from Toei, and essentially everything from Toriyama since Namek blew up.
-Bruce is not "good music that is misplaced", Yamamoto did not "fit the tone of Z better"; If it isn't Kikuchi, it is at best pointless, and at worse, aural genocide.
-Funimation has no credibility when they actively hire a statutory rapist for their productions.
-Kids who argue over numbers instead of narrative when it comes to DBZ will always baffle me.
-Tenshinhan is the STRONGEST... FUCKING... HUMAN.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:02 pm

- The Danish dub of DBZ isn't all that bad
- I prefer Sean Schemmel
- The English dub has surpassed the JAP dub
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:17 pm

- I actually like FUNimation's Dragonball English dub the most out of their dubs (BoG notwithstanding), not their FUNimation Kai dub: to me, no voice in the DB dub makes me cringe as much as King Kai or Recoome. Furthermore, some of the Kai script gets awkward at times, like when Vegeta is facing off against Zarbon and they all talk like Shakespearan literature professors duking it out (though Frieza's dialogue and the rest is superb- props to Tatum for that). The DB dub definitely has a more inaccurate script and the titles aren't the same as the JAP, but I feel FUNimation tried their hardest with that dub if any and the voice-overs were great there: Schemmel's Young (Adult) Goku was great in the last 18 episodes as well.
- I actually liked Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma (definitely not in Z, but in DB) more than Monica Rial's since the Cell Saga of Kai.
- I'm glad Chris Sabat is voicing Jeice again.
- I like DB more than DBZ in general.
- I don't hate DBGT.
- I like BoG, but I find it overrated.
- The Westwood Ocean Dub is better than the Saban Ocean Dub: I couldn't stand Drummond's Vegeta in the former until late into the Namek Saga, while I liked him in the latter dub the whole way through. I also thought Kelamis' Goku was better when he dropped that surfer accent he had. Though Klassen's Roshi was horrible, and there were definitely some miscasts I didn't like as well.

That's about it, more or less.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing...

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 am

Here we go:

- I love Broly and GT and everything about them, and think they both should be canon.
- Uub was pratically as powerful as Kid Buu in that Budokai fight with Goku.
- Piccolo taking a backseat in the fights was bullshit. I don't think his character was able to keep itself relevant enough without the fights. Sure, they treat him with more respect than most other Z-Warriors, but he still doesn't add much I think. And it's especially painful to a character like Gotenks get better fights in the Buu Saga because SAIYAJIN. Which leads me to:
- I like Goten and Trunks as kids, but I hate Gotenks. I don't even find him funny, like I do with Satan.
- I also hate how most of Gohan's power-ups are pulled out of his ass with him doing pratically nothing to earn them, and he ends the main manga/anime arc as the strongest non-fused character. The "Gohan has potential" thing was done way too many times, and the only time I found it interesting was the Super Saiyan 2 one. I don't like for a hero character to be gifted that much power out of nowhere. With villains I'm more lenient.
- I wish we would see Buu rampage through Frieza's soldiers in the upcoming movie. Don't know if that's really unpopular, but anyway.
- Cell was not that interesting to me as a villain. Actually, if the saga ended on the Androids, I would like it more. Android 16 could have been a better villain than Cell. There was hype around him, and he showed an interesting personality for a villain.

That's it for now, I think. I tried to think of unpopular opinions, but by the end I just vented frustrations, lol

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:42 am

I absolutely prefer to watch Funimation Kai than anything else. Not that I dont like other things, but thats definitely without question my go to. Also I love Kai in general. And I like the Buu Saga of Kai and I cant wait for the english dub. Is any of it perfect? Absolutely not. There are most certainly issues, so I can understand some Professional type of discontent an criticism but HOLY FUCKING BALLS at some of the things I read on here man. Jesus some times theres just an outpouring of crying and mockery. If you dont like it, its not like there arent probably like a dozen or more different ways to watch or read dragon ball.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:58 pm

-I love Goten and Trunks because they are what they're supposed to be: childlike and "obnoxious." I can seriously look at some of the things they do or how they think and go, hey, my niece/nephew/a kid I know would totally do that! It might be a parallel of Toriyama's own experiences with kids so that's pretty cool to think about.
-I really dislike Android 17 and 18, design wise and function wise. Aside from "holy shit why do their foreheads alone take up like 2/3 of their faces?!" they generally feel so disjointed and pointless in the series, not to mention cheap, like campy add-ons. Wish Toriyama could have introduced Cell and reveal Gero's continuation of the RR army cause in another way. Also, if he wanted to have a delinquent-esque, tsundere blonde female character with an under-appreciated bald dude as her love interest in the cast, he should have just kept Launch. She was far more interesting and true to his vision.
-It would have been great to let the other characters shine too. Even if Goku's supposed to be the main character. Many of the cast members had unique traits and techniques that could have made battles so much more fun.
-I wish Piccolo wouldn't have merged with Kami and gained power some other way. While him working with the new sage/babysitter/teacher role is endearing, I think the majority of his character appeal came from when he was known as the demon king's offspring/reincarnation. It would have been cool if he really retained that badass status and attitude, despite the character development from interacting with Gohan and the rest of the cast.
-I wish there were actually detours with "filler-like" side stories, with the condition that they're consistent with the rest of the plot. Though sure, DB's the generic example of a shounen manga, focusing only on battles kind of limit the readers' views on the characters (and holy shit, DB characters in general are fantastic), reducing them to sort of these superficial figures only seen through the lens of "how high are their power levels" or how well they fight. Taking a step back from the battlefield and seeing how the characters interact with each other in a "real-life" setting and be actual characters would have made the series more exciting.

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:00 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:-Funimation has no credibility when they actively hire a statutory rapist for their productions.
Now I have to ask who this is you're talking about.

Anyways, this might be because I grew up with it, but I don't think the Westwood dubs were that bad. Oh sure, I'll coincide that there were bad casting choices and voices that didn't fit. But I also feel the same way for Funi's dub of the franchise too.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

-The new movies/tie-ins are not only bad, they've been retroactively destroying the best parts of the story.
djkalteraphine wrote:-If you aren't watching it in Japanese, I don't feel like you're part of the discussion. It's like a fan of the Lord of the Rings films trying to discuss the vast canon of JRR Tolkien's works with a Tolkien scholar, as if the two were actually seeing the same thing (hint: they weren't).
-It's hilarious when anime watchers try to take the high ground like they're the OGs.
-Tenshinhan is the STRONGEST... FUCKING... HUMAN.
-Uub is.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Rocketman wrote:-The new movies/tie-ins are not only bad, they've been retroactively destroying the best parts of the story.
I'm curious as to how or why you think that is.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Krillin should've gotten his one moment to shine...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Man-Child wrote:Krillin should've gotten his one moment to shine...
That plot of Dragon Ball would be significantly different if Krillin killed Vegeta in the Saiyan arc.

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:24 pm

I don't know if it's unpopular but I generally hate the Buu Saga. It seemed like so much of it was pointless. Everybody was training to fight Cell because they knew how much of a threat he was. While Gohan was the one who killed Cell, everybody's training came in hand to defeat Cell. In the Buu Saga we have so many pointless things such as Super Saiyan 3, Gotenks, and Vegetto. I don't even fully understand the different stages of Buu either. Buu himself seemed to be like a ripoff of Cell. Also why bring in potara earrings when it was established that the Fusion Dance existed? Why have both fusions when both end up being pointless? It should have been Gogeta and not Vegetto.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Bacon Skittles wrote:I don't know if it's unpopular but I generally hate the Buu Saga. It seemed like so much of it was pointless. Everybody was training to fight Cell because they knew how much of a threat he was. While Gohan was the one who killed Cell, everybody's training came in hand to defeat Cell. In the Buu Saga we have so many pointless things such as Super Saiyan 3, Gotenks, and Vegetto. I don't even fully understand the different stages of Buu either. Buu himself seemed to be like a ripoff of Cell. Also why bring in potara earrings when it was established that the Fusion Dance existed? Why have both fusions when both end up being pointless? It should have been Gogeta and not Vegetto.
Movie 12 had just been released, and Toriyama didn't want to reuse Gogeta, so he created Potara Fusion and Vegetto.

I'm not understanding the "Buu is a ripoff of Cell" point.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Bacon Skittles wrote:I don't know if it's unpopular but I generally hate the Buu Saga. It seemed like so much of it was pointless. Everybody was training to fight Cell because they knew how much of a threat he was. While Gohan was the one who killed Cell, everybody's training came in hand to defeat Cell. In the Buu Saga we have so many pointless things such as Super Saiyan 3, Gotenks, and Vegetto. I don't even fully understand the different stages of Buu either. Buu himself seemed to be like a ripoff of Cell. Also why bring in potara earrings when it was established that the Fusion Dance existed? Why have both fusions when both end up being pointless? It should have been Gogeta and not Vegetto.
It's not unpopular, it's generally the most criticized arc of the series.

Not without reason, mind you, but some of it is really unnecessary.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Not really "unpopular", but FUNimation's lost so many talents over the years: Daphne Gere, Brice Armstrong, Stephanie Nadolny, Laurie Steele (hasn't been heard for years now), etc.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 pm

gohann wrote:Not really "unpopular", but FUNimation's lost so many talents over the years: Daphne Gere, Brice Armstrong, Stephanie Nadolny, Laurie Steele (hasn't been heard for years now), etc.
True that :thumbdown:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:39 pm

I don't think that's really fair. If Super Saiyan 3, Gotenks, and Vegetto were pointless, then in the Cell arc Super Vegeta, Piccolo/Kami fusion, and the Full-Power Super Saiyan form were all pointless as well.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Man-Child wrote:Krillin should've gotten his one moment to shine...
That plot of Dragon Ball would be significantly different if Krillin killed Vegeta in the Saiyan arc.
Of course.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:04 pm

https://twitter.com/VegettoEX/status/577234768703725568

Mikes' stance on Freeza I'm with. I know there's opinions and stuff, but honestly Kai's Freeza being bad or irritating does mean someone just doesn't like the character Freeza to me.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!