Quick questions for those that don't like BoG.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Quick questions for those that don't like BoG.

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Are you a fan of the FUNI dub? As in, do you prefer it over the original? I just want to see if there is a trend.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Quick questions for those that don't like BoG.

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:36 pm

I didn't hate BoG, but there's some things I didn't like about the movie at all

Also I'm a fan of the FUNi dub overall.

KingKaiGuy

Post by KingKaiGuy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Not to be rude, but this seems like it is an attempt to attack the opinions of those you don't agree with. The question just screams bias. If that was not what you intended, my apologies, but I'm calling it how I see it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm a fan of the Funi dub, and have never even seen much of the original, and I consider BoG to be the best thing to come out of the franchise in the last 22, 23 years.

So I fit the opposite profile of the kind of people you seem to be looking for.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:14 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Are you a fan of the FUNI dub? As in, do you prefer it over the original? I just want to see if there is a trend.
I'm more of a fan of dubbed in general. I know a lot of times the original has better acting or dialogue but I grew up with the dub. It gives that feeling of nostalgia to hear their familiar voices again so I guess that's the main reason. I've noticed I enjoy animes dubbed by Funimation than other studios and like hearing Chris Sabat, Vic Magnona, Kyle Hebert, etc and finding out which characters they'll be playing in that particular anime. If I'm unfamiliar with the voice actors then I usually prefer watching it subbed like with most foreign horror films. I would love if Funimation dubbed those too :D!

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

FUNi always had the best voices. Now that they've shaped up their actors and writing, they've surpassed the original cast IMO in things like Kai, BoG, and games.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Well I love Battle Of Gods and I have thought ever since Kai the FUNi cast have been superior to the original cast. So I don't think I fit the bill.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:54 pm

I didn't like BoG, though I prefered the dubbed version of it. And yes, I prefer the FUNi dub (both original and Kai) more than the original. I still enjoy DBZ subbed, but I am not a fan of Kikuchi's soundtrack or eunuch Goku.

There is no correlation between liking the FUNi dub and not liking BoG.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:30 pm

I didn't care about BOG until I saw the dubbed version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm a manga fan who's never watched the anime in any significant amount.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm

KingKaiGuy wrote:Not to be rude, but this seems like it is an attempt to attack the opinions of those you don't agree with. The question just screams bias. If that was not what you intended, my apologies, but I'm calling it how I see it.
There's no indication of an attack. Something you don't like on the surface doesn't inherently imply "bias". That being said, everyone has a bias; that's what makes us human (having emotions, preconceptions, thoughts, feelings, etc.).

It's a legitimate question looking for underlying trends in an attempt to form a larger, more educated opinion. If anything, we should all strive for that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:55 am

I don't like the Funi dub, and I didn't really care for BoG. These two things don't feel related though, as I didn't watched BoG dubbed, and haven't seen much of the franchise dubbed.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:16 am

Rocketman wrote:I'm a manga fan who's never watched the anime in any significant amount.
me too

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:59 am

I like the dub (despite it's flaws) and I love BOG. But I also love the Japanese version of the anime too... about as much as I love the dub.

See the dub is easier for me to enjoy because I don't speak Japanese and I don't like reading subtitles. At the same time, the early dub had so much wrong with it that it is difficult to enjoy. At the same same time the dub later got better but at the same same same time the Japanese version has better music and long periods without music to increase the drama (though the dub later just used the Japanese music or lack thereof - which was great)... the voice acting is better in Japanese... but the English cast is still good and again I can't speak Japanese so it's easier to enjoy. I also grew up watching the dub more then the Japanese version. However, I did watch the Japanese version of the Buu saga and the movies around the late 90s/early 2000s so it's not like the dub is purely nostalgic.

What I'm trying to say is I like both versions fairly equally and I think the heart of what Dragon Ball IS still shines through in both incarnations. So to assume that just because it's the dub, that fans may not enjoy the more "comical" aspects of the series... would be wrong I think. Toriyama's spirit and humor are still present even in the dub, I'm sure there are plenty of dub-only fans who like it.

To be perfectly fair, the movie was marketed in general as a much more serious tone then it had. So if some fans went in expecting that based on the marketing it isn't entirely their fault to have those expectations shattered by a decidedly different tone.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 am

bleed0range wrote:To be perfectly fair, the movie was marketed in general as a much more serious tone then it had. So if some fans went in expecting that based on the marketing it isn't entirely their fault to have those expectations shattered by a decidedly different tone.
This is exactly it. It was sold to us as The God of Destruction as come to Earth and Son Goku must summon the power of a God to defeat him. Instead it was more or less just a longer version of Yo!, but with a longer running time. Disappointing for those of us who love the humor, but had been waiting since 1997 to see Son Goku throw down again for real...