Best DB Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Best DB Movie

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Dyno wrote:Rumors say he is based on Zelda from "The Legend of Zelda"... If it is true, not totally original.

No, he is based on Metroid from Metroid.

:lol:

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that's just fan speculation from after the fact. Sure, he has pointy ears and a sword like Link, and an ocarina, but swords and pointy ears are pretty generic fantasy traits. Link wasn't even famous for his ocarina (even though I think there was one in Link's Awakening) until Ocarina of Time which was a few years after Z movie 13.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Wrath of the Dragon was released in 1995 and Ocarina of Time was released in 1998.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Dyno wrote:Rumors say he is based on Zelda from "The Legend of Zelda"... If it is true, not totally original.
Movie 13 came out in 1995, and Ocarina of Time came out in 1998, so if anyone "borrowed" ideas, then Nintendo borrowed the idea of a hero with a magical ocarina from Dragon Ball.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Battle of the Gods is the first and only DBZ movie I can remember watching that felt like an actual movie. Not some fight scenes slapped together in a recycled plot, but an official film.

Though to be fair, I havent seen any of the films past 6 in years.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:44 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Movie 13 came out in 1995, and Ocarina of Time came out in 1998, so if anyone "borrowed" ideas, then Nintendo borrowed the idea of a hero with a magical ocarina from Dragon Ball.
Link already had an ocarina in A Link to the Past (1991) and Link's Awakening (1993), and other musical instruments before that, but they obviously weren't as iconic as the one in Ocarina of Time.

It's possible they both borrowed ideas from each other.
-Rachel

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:50 pm

As i said before, not taking BoG into consideration, since it's a too obvious answer and it has a number of advantages over the others.

With that none, my favorite movie is probably...Wrath of the Dragon, as it contains

1. One of my favorite Vegeta moments
2. One of my favorite Goku moments
3. Gotenks at his least reckless

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 am

Dragon Ball Z Movie 3 and Dragon Ball Movie 3, Super Decisive Battle for the Planet Earth and Mystical Grand Adventure, respectively.

DBZ 3 is absolutely everything I love about early DBZ rolled up into a single movie. You have parallels and subtext out the wazoo, which you get so rarely in a DB/Z product. Masako Nozawa absolutely fucking brings it as Tullece, who is my favorite "evil" Saiyan in the franchise. A literal evil Goku with his twisted Z-Senshi, using forbidden godly might to force the Earth to give him its energy... vs Son Goku and the true, classic Z-Senshi, who cannot keep up with the massive power boosts afford the dark senshi... but manage to win because Goku asks to Earth for help, rather than takes for himself. In a final moment of temptation, Goku wonders if he mightn't do well to have some fruit himself... but when it disappears as his fingers twitch toward it, he smiles. It's better this way. Fuck yeah. Literal Ultimate Good vs Literal Ultimate Evil. The right path and the easy path. DBZ Movie 3 is a fucking treasure and you should watch it right now.

DB 3 is, by the same coin, everything I love about DB wrapped up into a single movie. No, really - it's my favorite DB story arcs (21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, 22nd Budokai) wrapped up into a single awesome action adventure flick that puts one in the mind of classic kung fu movies. Our heroes are the strangers in town, as a conspiracy unravels around them. Goku must use his kung fu to right the wrongs, but must he has to learn to keep his mind focused on battle and not emotion. It's classic hong kong meets the best DB has to offer and the main baddie is freaking Tao Pai Pai. C'mon man. What more do you freaking want from a movie.

DB 2, DBZ 1, 2, 6, 12, Yo!, Bardock Special, and the DB 10th Anniversary Movie are also good for their own reasons. The rest are fun, though BoG was a big let down and DBZ Movie 7 is honestly the worst thing. I like 4 and 11 more than most, I think. 10 has its moments, mostly early on.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:48 am

I'm going to go with Battle of Gods. It was just such a fun movie to watch. I've honestly just never been a big fan of the other movies. I mean sure they're fun for what they are but I can't say I've ever really enjoyed them as much as Battle of Gods. I will say that I do have a soft spot for movie 2 though because of its awesome fight scenes.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:45 pm

sooooo i rewatched warth of the dragon and Fusion reborn yesterday ...and have one thing to say, both are freaking awful !!!!!! wow i did not remember them being that bad, i am shocked! this being said, BoG is the best movie. The sad thing is, BoG is not even a good movie on its own, its an okish movie.

:thumbdown:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 pm

I liked all of them, but if I have to choose one of them... Well, maybe 13, as I absolutely loved interactions between Trunks and Tapion.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:37 am

Mystic Tien wrote:I liked all of them, but if I have to choose one of them... Well, maybe 13, as I absolutely loved interactions between Trunks and Tapion.
:thumbdown: 5/10 and i am being nice

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:46 am

tx3 wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:I liked all of them, but if I have to choose one of them... Well, maybe 13, as I absolutely loved interactions between Trunks and Tapion.
Your opinion.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

Mystic Tien wrote:
tx3 wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:I liked all of them, but if I have to choose one of them... Well, maybe 13, as I absolutely loved interactions between Trunks and Tapion.
Your opinion.
of course! ..its just an opinion

Fusion Reborn 5/10
Warth of Dragon 5/10
BoG 6.5/10

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Fusion Reborn could have been a lot better if it had done without the Goten and Trunks scenes.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Bullza wrote:Fusion Reborn could have been a lot better if it had done without the Goten and Trunks scenes.
it's more than just that ..Janemba it self is lame ..as.2 dimensional as it can get for a character, arkward behaving of characters, boring story, english dub sucked ...and there is this one scene that makes no sense at all ..goku punches fat janemba ...and now he is pink and purple and stronger ..just because ...well ...just because...what??? and in general who the heck is janemba ..i know bad spirit and shit ..but why does it become Janemba ..also just because or what....

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Yes, because Majin Buu, whose is the result of Buu after absorbed South Kaioshin and Dai Kaioshin, is the weakest of all Majin Buus...

You can bitch all you want on Janemba, but know that some characters you like are also a joke.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Dyno wrote:Yes, because Majin Buu, whose is the result of Buu after absorbed South Kaioshin and Dai Kaioshin, is the weakest of all Majin Buus...

You can bitch all you want on Janemba, but know that some characters you like are also a joke.
oh really? like who?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Easily

The First Broly movie, Bio Broly, Wrath of The Dragon.

First Broly movie introduce an amazing plot that keeps you feeling hype. Storyline with Broly in that movie was awesome. Paragus character was fun too. Also the comedy was actually FUNNY unlike a certain God movie. So you got kick ass action, a good plot, and funny ass scenes. Nothing beats that! Number 1!

Bio Broly I'm bias because of Goten's role. And this image

Main Role Goten - Image

Wrath of Dragon

Same reason as Broly's first movie. Deeper plot though. Legit storyline for Tapion. And an awesome Dragon Fire!

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Bio Broly I'm bias because of Goten's role. And this image

Main Role Goten - Image
To be honest I also liked Bio Broly because of Goten and Trunks having actual roles as standalone characters.
TheGmGoken wrote:Wrath of Dragon

Same reason as Broly's first movie. Deeper plot though. Legit storyline for Tapion. And an awesome Dragon Fire!

And yeah, absolutely agree. Wrath of Dragon was awesome.
Marco Polo wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 am

I guess for me it's Movie 12 or History of Trunks if that counts.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!