Best Freeza dub voice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Best Freeza dub voice?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 am

Singh is King wrote:Linda Young, while severely miscast as Freeza IMHO
Pauline Newstone was severely miscast as Freeza, Young was just hired to help keep consistency with the old cast. A lot of people seem to talk of Young as if she was the one responsible for making Freeza sound like a grandmother. Unlike say, Sabat's Vegeta, she never evolved past being an Ocean imitation, which is probably why she wasn't retained for Kai, seeing as FUNi wanted to correct old casting blunders from the Saban era. Same applies for Volmer and Nadolny.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:56 am

Another thing I would like to mention: Frieza's Kai dialogue is overwrought to the point of forcing Ayres to recite his lines with enough celerity to match the mouth flapping. The corollary of this is a meter that is quite unnatural for a majority of English speakers, leading a great deal of his lines to come across as rushed. Now, this is a flaw shared by everyone in the dubbing industry, regardless of talent--it's simply the nature of the beast. That notwithstanding, the scriptwriters for Kai certainly didn't do Ayres any favors in that regard, what with its literal (and sometimes embellished) translation.

I can certainly comprehend why Young may not have been capable of making this sound natural enough to be sufficient, which seems to be the official explanation for her dismissal.

(You all must have some rather eerie grandmothers if they sound like Linda Young's Frieza.)
Last edited by Lord Exor on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I want to address that last bit: Of course I'm presenting personal opinion as fact from time to time. Otherwise I'd spend half of this conversation saying "In my opinion." or "To me." I'm also relying on the opinions of the people dubbing Kai (who all have expressed feelings of delight and positivity over this new dub compared to their older efforts, including Christopher Sabat, who's been working on the series since Funimation started their own in house dub) and the general consensus of the forum at large. not to mention, it's undeniable that the acting is miles ahead of what it used to be, as is the script. Nobody can deny that, and those who do (in my opinion) are stuck with their nostalgia goggles or lack an idea of quality
I agree with you about the "nostalgia goggles". When I first watched DBZ Kai I didn't like the voice acting because it was different than how I remembered it. I remembered Grandma Freeza, Australian Jeice and how Piccolo and Vegeta had scarier deeper voices. It's been over 10 years since I've watched the series so when I actually watched some comparison videos on Youtube I saw the big difference! The voice acting and dialogue were much better. When you're that young you don't notice how corny the dialogue was like Frieza wanting to caress the balls.
Frieza: You're certainly on the ball today, Captain Ginyu. If you were a dog, I'd scratch your belly. If you were a cat, I'd give you warm milk until you started to purr. But since you're neither of these, I'll just say thanks for a job well done.
Captain Ginyu: It was my pleasure. You know how much I enjoy serving your horned highness.
Frieza: Having these balls makes me feel something that resembles joy, I think. I want to caress them.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Skar wrote:The voice acting and dialogue were much better. When you're that young you don't notice how corny the dialogue was like Freeza wanting to caress the balls.
Freeza: You're certainly on the ball today, Captain Ginyu. If you were a dog, I'd scratch your belly. If you were a cat, I'd give you warm milk until you started to purr. But since you're neither of these, I'll just say thanks for a job well done.
Captain Ginyu: It was my pleasure. You know how much I enjoy serving your horned highness.
Freeza: Having these balls makes me feel something that resembles joy, I think. I want to caress them.
Give the Kai actors material like that to work with and you'll say they're bad as well.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:42 pm

"Your horned highness"

:lol: :oops: :roll: :cry:

So many conflicting emotions.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Those lines weren't even from Linda Young and aren't even in the dub. That's Pauline Newstone in the Ocean edit.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Those lines weren't even from Linda Young and aren't even in the dub. That's Pauline Newstone in the Ocean edit.
You're absolutely right! It really has been a while since I watched DBZ. Sorry about that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Those lines weren't even from Linda Young and aren't even in the dub. That's Pauline Newstone in the Ocean edit.
Which was still a FUNimation production, which was being overseen by Barry Watson (who continued overseeing DB stuff into the DBGT days), and scripts were still being punched-up by outsourced folks like Terry Klassen (yes, Krillin from the Ocean cast) into season four.

FUNimation's treatment of Freeza didn't end with Pauline Newstone, and it didn't begin with Linda Young.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Which was still a FUNimation production, which was being overseen by Barry Watson (who continued overseeing DB stuff into the DBGT days), and scripts were still being punched-up by outsourced folks like Terry Klassen (yes, Krillin from the Ocean cast) into season four.

FUNimation's treatment of Freeza didn't end with Pauline Newstone, and it didn't begin with Linda Young.
I see. Thank you for the clarification Mr. VegettoEX.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh yeah, Neil Bligh outsourced scripts too from Canada.

The fact that Funimation kept them on as script writers- despite the added inconvenience of having them write from several thousand miles away from another country- does say that Funimation was a fan of their earlier work and felt they were important to keep on to maintain earlier consistency.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Another thing I would like to mention: Freeza's Kai dialogue is overwrought to the point of forcing Ayres to recite his lines with enough celerity to match the mouth flapping. The corollary of this is a meter that is quite unnatural for a majority of English speakers, leading a great deal of his lines to come across as rushed. Now, this is a flaw shared by everyone in the dubbing industry, regardless of talent--it's simply the nature of the beast. That notwithstanding, the scriptwriters for Kai certainly didn't do Ayres any favors in that regard, what with its literal (and sometimes embellished) translation.
I'll give you that it can come across as unnatural, but Ayres is so good at it, that you can just chalk it up to a quirk in an over the top series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Singh is King wrote:Linda Young, while severely miscast as Freeza IMHO
Pauline Newstone was severely miscast as Freeza, Young was just hired to help keep consistency with the old cast. A lot of people seem to talk of Young as if she was the one responsible for making Freeza sound like a grandmother. Unlike say, Sabat's Vegeta, she never evolved past being an Ocean imitation, which is probably why she wasn't retained for Kai, seeing as FUNi wanted to correct old casting blunders from the Saban era.
You're right, but that's one role I wish they hadn't attempted to maintain continuity with from Ocean: Pauline was already miscast, and Linda was as well because FUNi tried to keep consistency with Ocean.
Correct: also, speaking of Ocean dub:

"Having these balls makes me feel something that resembles joy, I think: I want to caress them."

:lol: :wtf:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I'd definitely go with Chris Ayers as the best English voice for Freeza, although his performance wasn't without it's flaws. Ayers certainly had a more accurate portrayal than Linda Young, though I think the writers went a bit overboard with some of his dialogue in the Kai dub. I know that Freeza is supposed to sound snobbish and refined, but at times it sounded like Ayers was trying to sound like a Shakespearean actor. Other characters like Bulma and Vegeta had that problem in the Kai dub as well, but Freeza seemed to be on a whole other level with the Shakespearean dialogue.

Still, Ayers did a good job as Freeza for the most part, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will reprise his role as Freeza for the dub of the upcoming film, which I'm looking forward to.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:26 pm

To expand the portfolio of dubs, I was wondering what the Latin American Freezas are like compared to Ayers/Nakao
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Pgirts

Post by Pgirts » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:09 pm

NitroEX wrote:Might not be official but I fucking love this guy's Freeza. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiP7QjfDVI
Thank you much! I was wondering why that video's views increased so much.
I also just made a new one featuring his other forms, check it out here if you'd like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQ_wl-DOQI

As for my opinion on Freeza's best dub voice, I honestly think he's a character that none of the official releases have gotten right, and part of the blame goes to the scripts. Kai's script, while truer to the manga, is overwrought. The original Funi script on the other hand is just poorly done overall.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Linda Young. She's miscast, but at least her voice was pretty unique. I find Ayres to be quite generic in the role. It's a typical high-pitched British bad guy voice. Very stock. Furthermore, I think he overacts quite a bit, and never succeeds in making Freeza sound like the truly monstrous being that he is. His Freeza has no presence and has no weight to his words.

Just my two cents.

SSJ4Vegito

Post by SSJ4Vegito » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:38 am

Linda Young's dub is hands down my favorite. I think Linda Young's Freeza sounds more sinister and creepy than Chris Ayres dub, which I'm not to keen on. Plus, I loved Freeza's sense of humor in Linda Young's dub.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:51 am

SSJ4Vegito wrote:Plus, I loved Freeza's sense of humor in Linda Young's dub.
What was funny about anything Freeza said, though? Could you point out some examples? I personally think he had some of the most cringe-worthy lines in the entire dub back then, honestly.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:01 pm

"Ya gettin' tired up there big fella?"
"Don't be so glum guys, you haven't lost your king for good. Wherever he is, you're about to join him!"
"Sometimes you just have to put your foot down when it comes to kids." Note: Kai had similar dialogue.
"You never meant to fight, you're trying to buy some time aren't you? Transaction cancelled! You can't outsmart me, I'll be long gone before this planet blows up, and you--you will be dead!"
"Basically I'm trying to kill you."
"There ya go, I was just checking your reflexes and they seem to be fine. Let's try it again just to be sure, shall we?"
"My my, what do we have here? A fallen prince--oh dear."
"The chamber is dead, my good man, and so are you if you don't tell me that password!"
"Poor baby got a boo boo? Well I'll make it better."
"Don't worry, everyone gets a turn."
"You don't seem to be having any fun. Loosen up, no one likes a sore loser."
"Your speeches put me to sleep, but everyone has to have last words--before they're shredded into a million little pieces!"

I don't know about you, but personally, I found the dissonance between his brutality and the mordant quips that accompanied it rather darkly amusing.

And then there are some absolutely splendid tidbits of dialogue, such as, "You saiyans are like a stubborn virus, and now the virus has mutated to preserve itself! But I know how to treat it! I know how to blot it out for good!"
"Well, aren't ya gonna keep running, monkey? Aren't ya? Heh heh heh! Like a little circus chimp! Come one! Come all! See the spectacular chimp in a maze! Where will he run today? You don't have enough time to get back to your spaceship and Vegeta destroyed mine. But just for my sake, don't stop running--it's far too entertaining!"

You want cringe-worthy dialogue?
"I've had about enough of you-ou-ou!"
"Now you will know the HORROR FRIE-ZA!"
*Piccolo's post-fusion "speech"*
*Everything Bulma says*
"Great scooooooooott!"

I'm not beguiled by nostalgia; I know the FUNimation dub has a plenitude of imperfections. However, there's more for me to personally enjoy in it as a whole than its Kai counterpart. To be perfectly honest, as a child, I was mostly apathetic toward Frieza. It was only after I rediscovered the series circa 2008 that Frieza quickly ascended toward becoming one of my all-time favorite characters.
Last edited by Lord Exor on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Chris ayres.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:29 pm

It's refreshing to see people prefer Linda Young for reasons besides nostalgia.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super