What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Let's face it. Nobody is perfect. At the end of the day, most, if not all, of us have a personal connection to this franchise. A lot of times when other peoples views don't match with our own, we can't help but feel irritated or annoyed. Sometimes it comes out in nasty ways.We see this all the time in every fandom and every forum. It's fine to have these feelings, but I feel it's important to understand why, and how to react to them in a positive way and learn from others.So, what triggers these feelings in you and why?

For me:
People saying you don't need to watch Dragon Ball.
People thinking the American version is in any way shape or form superior than the original.
People who create their own canon no matter how nonsensical and complicated it is.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:24 pm

People saying you don't need to watch Dragon Ball.
People thinking the American version is in any way shape or form superior than the original.
Agreed on both counts. I also hate the term Weeaboo. As if I couldn't honestly come to the conclusion that the original is superior to the dub. The other opinion that bothers me is that so many like Nadolny and dislike Colleen almost in equal measure. What I don't get is that the dub is not well liked on this forum, but yet Nadolny seems to get a pass for her Goku. Out of all the performances, THAT'S the one people liked? I've seen Sabat's Yamcha get more flack than her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 pm

''Broly is the best villain of DBZ''
''The japanese dub sucks! Goku sounds like a girl''
''Dragon Ball is always the same thing, villain appears, everyone gets beating up and Goku finishes the villain with Genki-Dama''

I think that's it :lol:
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Well the American version is vastly superior because I can understand it without subtitles.
El Conejo Malo

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Well the American version is vastly superior because I can understand it without subtitles.
Well, the point of this thread was to try and avoid toxicity like this. But other than than, gr8 b8 m8.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:40 pm

I don't get irritated over...anything regarding the series, tbh. It's just not in my nature to get annoyed over things like this. If anything, I think I tend to piss people off by being outspoken in topics around here. lol.

Well, maybe I do have one pet peeve, but it's only indirectly related to the series: whenever I see top __ anime/manga lists, the top are usually series with mature themes or orientated for older teenagers and young adults. Very biased against shows meant for younger teenagers and kids because their stories aren't "profound."

P.S.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 pm

"The Funimation dub is better than the japanese dub and the Kai version." - This, of course, only applies to those who have just watched random clips of Kai and the japanese dub without watching it in full.

"Only Vegeta gets character development in Dragon Ball." - Sometimes I ask myself if I'm just a big enough fan to try to look for character development where there is none, or if everyone who criticizes the series is just following the masses without looking at very clear actions and dialogue that demonstrate change without having to look any deeper into the series.

And finally when someone says Dragon Ball "sucks" and justifies it with their only reason being that it doesn't have a complex plot, even though there's just as much enjoyment and quality to be had with simplicity.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Honestly, I don't blame anybody for having an opinion, but what does annoy me slightly is when opinions are expressed in an, "I'm right, and everybody who disagrees with my specific opinion on this subject is an idiot" kind of way. That manner of expression bothers me far more than any particular opinion.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:59 pm

"Goku in japanese sounds awful/like an old lady/girly, I like the dub voices better, the spanish (Mexican) version is the best"
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 pm

GeeRod wrote:''Broly is the best villain of DBZ''
Same and just this. It's really annoying that thing's fanboys always overestimate it without any logical sense and reason.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Arrogance. Or stating your opinion as objective fact, which is about the same thing.

You can say almost anything and it might irratate me, but anything said with arrogance is bound to make my blood boil. Even if I agree 100% otherwise.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Honestly, I don't blame anybody for having an opinion, but what does annoy me slightly is when opinions are expressed in an, "I'm right, and everybody who disagrees with my specific opinion on this subject is an idiot" kind of way. That manner of expression bothers me far more than any particular opinion.
The manner of expressing an opinion also annoys me quite a bit.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:19 pm

I usually make considerable effort to no get angry over anyone's opinions, because they're exactly that, opinions. They'll always differ from person to person because that's just how people are. I'm well aware of what my preferences and beliefs are and they won't change unless on my terms; I presume that will be the same for everyone else, so what point is there to take everything personally and be insecure over whether others' opinions match up with yours then end up fighting and nitpicking about every little thing?

The reason why I enjoy forums such as these is that I get to observe how one thing that I really like (the Dragonball series, in this case) can personally impact others, and how they go about in appreciating something enjoyable. So if anything, one thing that gets increasingly old and irritating to me is constantly seeing more and more people being petty and trying desperately to establish their opinions as the overriding "truth." It's such a turn-off...=_= Relax, bros. Relax.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

This a pretty dangerous thread. I just typed a long list, read it back, and realised how much of a toxic prick I sounded. I'd definitely suggest people do the same if they want this thread to remain civil.

Honestly, as long as opinions are expressed with respect to the thing they're criticising, I don't really care that much. I think we all have our 'triggers', but nowadays, I find myself sighing and moving on rather than actively engaging it.
  • Disliking Nozawa's voice is not a cardinal sin. Spewing vitriol about her performance demonstrates a lack of maturity and poor understanding of the character. Her voice can be a tough one to get used to, but if all you're judging it from is one episode or some clips online, how is your opinion at all valid? I hated Battle of Gods dub in all clips until I sat and watched it properly. If you're not used to something, you instinctively jump to negativity. Give something a chance, you'll probably like it. If not, at least you gave it a fair chance!
  • Trashing Kai's dub while preferring Z's, again, shows a lack of understanding of the source material and, at least in my eyes, a rather lackluster ability to discern what makes for a good performance. Hey, maybe you acknowledge Kai is more accurate and better acted, but you still prefer Z? That's cool, I guess. I actually have no problem with someone liking the FUNi Z dub as long they're aware of the inherent flaws and know it is not an accurate representation of the show. If you imply it's superior, I will argue you into the ground over it, but it's whatever.
  • Not enjoying Kikuchi's music is understandable. Whining that it 'doesn't fit' is absurd and, you guessed it, shows a lack of understanding of what Dragon Ball is all about. I fully understand why people like Faulconer, that's absolutely fine, just don't pretend it's fitting. Much like the dub, I'll probably get pretty heated over it.
Seeing a pattern? I don't really care what your opinions are, but if your reasoning revolves around nostalgia, misinformation or is outright insulting, I'm probably not going to engage with you. I hold some pretty strong opinions, but I'm very happy to debate them in a firm but respectable manner. :DJust stay away from my Twitter. I'm an asshole on there if I'm mad.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 pm

<_< >_>

Believing that Kikuchi's OST is unfitting for the DBZ portion does not indicate a lack of understanding of what Dragon Ball is all about.

*Flees*
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:54 pm

"True DBZ music!!!..f#@% anyone who disagree..f#@%ing stupid butthurt weeaboo's....Funimation & Faulconer All The Way!!"
Someone actually said this. It was on YouTube, hence reinforcing the stereotype.

So, whoever prefers an orchestral score by a prestigious composer over budget 80s synth and electric guitar cannot conceivably do so for a reason other than the former happening to be a product of Japan?

Also, a score that was composed over ten years after the show it appeared in, lacked Toei or Toriyama's seal of approval, and was part of a production that also tampered with story conveyance and character traits, is the "true DBZ music"?

Now, I recognize the Faulconer Productions replacement score has its own kind of appeal, but the circumstances of its existence objectively rule out the correctness of the statements refuted in the previous two paragraphs. Of course, that still doesn't address the practice of throwing demeaning insults at those with different tastes.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:22 pm

For me it's when people claim the treatment of characters who're not Goku is fine. I find it pretty lacking and dangerously on a course for GT level of care. Especially when people say they have things good, when to me it's a poor excuse to make someone less and less relevant over time. If you can't fight you're garbage, and you're not worth even developing something outside of fighting.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Honestly, I don't blame anybody for having an opinion, but what does annoy me slightly is when opinions are expressed in an, "I'm right, and everybody who disagrees with my specific opinion on this subject is an idiot" kind of way. That manner of expression bothers me far more than any particular opinion.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Arrogance. Or stating your opinion as objective fact, which is about the same thing.

You can say almost anything and it might irratate me, but anything said with arrogance is bound to make my blood boil. Even if I agree 100% otherwise.
Couldn't agree more with these two posts if I tried. The only thing that irritates me more than people refusing to admit that their personal opinion is just that rather than abject fact, is when people are being jerks about it or anything else. It's even worse when I agree with the point in general, because it not only makes it impossible to agree with them regardless, it makes it harder for me to further the point myself.

Other than that though, I'm generally okay with whatever opinion someone might have, because everyone is entitled to forming their own - but I won't lie, I do find myself getting more and more irritated when Toriyama or anyone else that's been involved with the franchise isn't given at least a modicum of respect.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Terra Prime

Post by Terra Prime » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:10 am

''Kid Buu is Majin Buu's strongest form!''
Nothing to see here. Read the post below!

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 am

"GT is terrible. I only saw 4 episodes, but I know for sure that it's a terrible series."

"If you haven't seen the Japanese version, then you aren't really a fan of DB-Z-GT because the English version is a completely different show."

"Faulconer's score is way better than this lame Japanese music."

"I don't like the Japanese version/the Japanese version is terrible because Goku sounds like a girl."

"The orange bricks are terrible even though the price is amazing and you can finally watch the dub with the Japanese music, but 15 whole seconds in the entire 291 episodes has some lines blurred out during intense shaking, so the whole release is garbage."