"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" On-Going Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:42 am

Maaan, this is one brutal news. But only thing I do miss in modern Dragon Ball. Shunsuke Kikuchi.
If he will return to do the score for this new series, I would die from joy!

But that won't totally happen... :cry:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 am

After how good the 2008 Jump Special, Battle of Gods and Revival of F turn out then I have high hopes for this show. Sure Minus didn't make fans happy but I didn't hate it like most fans did.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

CM101Play
Beyond Newbie

Post by CM101Play » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 am

Doctor. wrote:I hope it follows the door BoG left open. Bring on the multiverse, please.
This is what I'm hoping for.

With the swiftness Funi is displaying in dubbing RF, hopefully they do the same with DBS. Finding a good spot for it on a TV lineup won't be a problem (and talks may have already started) as channels that show anime in the states would bend over backwards for this guaranteed money maker. :lol:

vegitot
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegitot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

I'm in stunned disbelief.

I hope this is either a miniseries before it goes to Garbage Trash (GT) or it does like twelve episodes "per season" and comes back each summer so the story remains fresh.

I don't want this to be a Toei product that Toriyama rubber stamps.
Last edited by Kakarot88 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

Nice image^.
I'm wondering if that 9th of may announcement has anything to do with this or if it's just something pertaining to early DB. :think:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 am

I hope the show is at least 20-40 episodes a season. I think 200 episodes is pushing it since I'm fine with shorter anime as long if you can fresh out the characters and writing.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 am

Scarz wrote:Image

I'm not lying when I say I teared up a little this morning.
Haha! Beautiful.

Yeah, I'm getting chills now and I don't even care - this is the biggest news for the franchise to happen in my 15 year fandom, it makes Battle of Gods, Revival of F and the manga prequel, which were all freakin' huge at the time, seem trivial.

On a side note, I saw on Twitter that Mike isn't pleased with some of the knee-jerk, emotional-gushings getting posted here, and I get that from a moderation point of view - but surely 11 pages in of people practically freaking out, maybe it's too messy to even try and clean a thread like this up now. Just my two-cents and all, but come on! This is huge, and honestly, until the raw emotion dies down, or we get any sort of further reveal, there isn't going to be any meaningful discussion here on this for a while. You may as well shut down the forum or lock the thread if Kanzenshuu is really such an unsuitable place for this.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

vegitot
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegitot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:49 am

Everyone on internet goes nuts after hearing this new. It's remind me of Battle of Gods.
64 episodes are pretty nice

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 am

I wonder if Funimation will stream the show while it's airing in Japan on their website. I really want to watch the show day one when it airs.
She/Her

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:53 am

Before I head out to conserve phone battery, I want to leave off with that I like that tease in the press release about Gokû and him dealing with protecting Earth in the aftermath of the Buu battle. Hoping this continues where F leaves off, but can deal if it's instead directly after the Buu arc days.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:53 am

vegitot wrote:Everyone on internet goes nuts after hearing this new. It's remind me of Battle of Gods.
64 episodes are pretty nice

I'm feeling a series of 20-30 not more if it run from Majin Buu saga to EOZ.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 am

Can't wait to see how they fuck it up. More recolors? Return of Bardock? A vast expanse of bad ideas awaits.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:57 am

Rocketman wrote:Can't wait to see how they fuck it up. More recolors? Return of Bardock? A vast expanse of bad ideas awaits.
Maybe Broly becomes canon, wouldn't that just be great?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe a possible season two can take place after EOZ if the show does well enough. Unlike Kai, I can see the show being a big hit in Japan since it's a new show after almost 20 years.
She/Her

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am

I would be highly, highly surprised if it didn't take place after both BoG and FnF, as both of those are also 'after Boo'.

I am curious about how long they're wanting to set this to run from the get go though. I definitely don't see them making any firm plans for a long-running series right from the get go, but...I could definitely see them aiming for a year long run from the start, something that's 50-ish episodes long.

...*sighs* And so the negativity begins.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am

BlackCatScott wrote:So out of nowhere, we'll have new episodes of Dragon Ball to watch in a couple of months. Get to work, FUNimation!

What I like about this is that it's an original series being brought straight to anime format, so it doesn't need to wait however long to catch up with the manga or anything. It can tell us the story in however many episodes and we won't have to worry about terrible pacing / power ups for half an episode / episodes where they learn to drive (I actually loved that ep! :lol:) I hope it has the pace of Kai episodes. This doesn't need to be another 200 episode series.
These are my sentiments exactly. With the current wave of anime taking the season concept route, I'm hoping this actually be "planned" in terms of how the episodes are paced in the overarching story. No more are the days of drawn out power ups and padding for pace, since this will all be original content. I'll be happy with just 26 episodes or so as a start, and have more continue at a later time to keep things fresh.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

There was a guy my brother knew that kept saying there was a new series on the way and I still believe he was wrong about this specific release and probably saw Dragonball Hoshi and I believe it's a huge coincidence on his part. but wow..I can't believe this is actually happening? and it takes place after the Boo saga huh? Awesome! :) I can't wait to hear what Funimation says about this but I'd say we won't get a dub till late 2017 but then again...we did get the new movie fast so who knows?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

Is this going to be more of a sequal for Kai or Z or both? :shock:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

Doctor. wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Can't wait to see how they fuck it up. More recolors? Return of Bardock? A vast expanse of bad ideas awaits.
Maybe Broly becomes canon, wouldn't that just be great?
Don't you even dare! :P :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!