Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 am

pappy wrote:Didn't a movie just come out that dedicated screen time to different characters doing stuff? Maybe I read the synopsis wrong. It sounds frustrating to not be able to get excited for anything new that comes out for a series you love.
You have to remember, for a lot of people "killing the big bad guy" is literally the only thing that counts as "doing something". For some reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:50 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: it Gogeta's case he wanted Yi Xing Long to fire off his negative energy so he could reverse the charge and cleanse the Earth.
It never made sense on why he did that since the Earth would have return back to normal if he killed Super Yi Xing Long. After Goku killed him, the Earth return back to normal.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 am

Vegetto obviously.

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:02 am

I would love to see a teen Gotenks because his character needs more fleshing out than Goten and Trunks do and I would love to see Gogeta at least once but with the personality he had in Fusion Reborn not GT

of course I would also love to see at least one scene of Tiencha just for the fact a fusion of Tien and Yamcha are probably the only way those 2 could even start to keep up with the other characters now without giving them a stupid power up
Last edited by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:50 am

Yeah, adult Gotenks would've been awesome. And maybe characters that haven't fused before? Goku + Satan :D?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 am

I'm all for seeing Vegito again. He was the ultimate badass in Z and deserves to make a comeback. And sure throw in some Gotenks for good measure.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:56 am

Oh god no. Fusion was the worst gimmick that Dragon Ball ever did! Sadly Gotenks will always be a thing unless they bench Goten and Trunks like in RF, fingers crossed they do!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 am

Fusions are just another gimmick. I hope the story is more comedic than anything.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh god no. Fusion was the worst gimmick that Dragon Ball ever did! Sadly Gotenks will always be a thing unless they bench Goten and Trunks like in RF, fingers crossed they do!
Why would they remove Goten and Trunks from an actual TV series? Explain. IDC that you dislike them but why would they remove them. Where would they be the entire series? Especially if this focus only on Earth.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:50 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh god no. Fusion was the worst gimmick that Dragon Ball ever did! Sadly Gotenks will always be a thing unless they bench Goten and Trunks like in RF, fingers crossed they do!
Why would they remove Goten and Trunks from an actual TV series? Explain. IDC that you dislike them but why would they remove them. Where would they be the entire series? Especially if this focus only on Earth.
Yeah obviously not gonna happen, just wishful thinking on my part.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:45 am

I think it would be cool if Goten and Trunks found a way to stay fused for as long as they feel like.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:51 am

pappy wrote:Didn't a movie just come out that dedicated screen time to different characters doing stuff?
If by 'doing stuff' you mean "waiting for ~goku~ and getting jobbed", then I suppose.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Scott wrote:I think it would be cool if Goten and Trunks found a way to stay fused for as long as they feel like.
They need the potaras more than anyone, they're useless on their own and have no unique personality traits that stand them out. I'd rather them stay somehow like Gotenks perminently to put an end to this predictable "Our blasts dont work! Fusion! Now!" first resort. If they're better fused, they should just stay fused.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Gotenks definitely.But i hope he will fight at max strength this time,unlike BoG.

As for fusion between goku and vegeta,i doubt it.

Turtle bits

Post by Turtle bits » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Basically id like fusion to still exist to some degree, it was a pretty big new technique in the series and itd be a waste if it wasnt relevant at some point, preferably just let it be Goten and Trunk's thing, sorta unique to them. It always sort of was to me anyways.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:04 pm

I know that I want Gotenks to return and I personally want to see Pan and Bra become fighters and very prominent characters, so maybe it'd be cool to see a fusion between those two, but I really don't need to see that.
TJVY wrote:I've always thought Vegetto was OP and the thought of a SSGSS Vegeto doesn't fly too well with me.
I think it'd be cool to see a SSGSS Vegetto, but only if he really had a struggle with whoever he was combating.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm

pappy wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Vegetto/Gogeta isn't Goku, so he won't get to do anything.
Didn't a movie just come out that dedicated screen time to different characters doing stuff?
They show up but they don't do anything of importance. All they're good for is fighting Freeza's lackies who are not even worth Goku's time. They're literally not even worthy of fighting Freeza or helping out.

It's a world of a difference compared to the manga

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Okay, seriously. The attitude that a character as to be able to fight the 'main bad' to be relevant is getting really freaking old at this point. If that was the only qualification, then there would be very few moments when anyone besides Goku was ever truly relevant even in the original manga.

Yes, let whoever can deal the almighty finishing blow dictate what character is worthy of watching, not, oh, I dunno, whether they're entertaining or not. Because clearly strength matters more in entertainment than entertainment does.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Gotenks is guaranteed and I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see SSG Gogeta.

With the whole "teamwork" thing going on between the two and Goku no longer being portrayed as on a level above Vegeta, it seems like an obvious development at some point. Probably just depends on if there is a serious enough battle that calls for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 pm

I think it’s entirely pointless if Goku and Vegeta ever fuse (y'know, besides the power boost). Gotenks can stay however, because it’s the only identity Goten and Trunks have; as it stands right now, each one of them is a half of Gotenks and since apparently Toriyama doesn’t have any ideas to change that view, you might as well keep Gotenks since he’s entertaining and has unique techniques (though I doubt Toriyama is ever gonna replicate that type of creativity again with the character in the future).

But getting back to what I was saying, Gotenks is basically a representation of Goku and Vegeta’s worst traits. Goku’s carelessness and naivety coupled with Vegeta’s narcissism and pride. This is particularly relevant when you think about how Vegetto himself is supposed to represent Goku and Vegeta’s best, the perfect fighter whom can only be created when both fully understand each other and understand their strengths. It’s no surprise that after Goku and Vegeta de-fuse, Goku refuses to fuse later on due to pride and Vegeta accepts Goku as someone better than him and it’s also no surprise that despite Goten and Trunks being rivals, they didn’t get the same boost in strength Vegetto did. All of these are the reasons why Gotenks failed and Vegetto succeeded. Vegetto represents what Goku and Vegeta, both individually and working together, can be and are being now trained by Whis to be. Resurrection F makes a great deal of highlighting both of Goku and Vegeta’s weaknesses, not just at the start of their training with Whis, but also in their fight with Freeza as well, with Goku’s carelessness and Vegeta’s inability to react in time being both of their downfalls. When they can master both of their weakness, they become the fighter fusion makes them be.