Younger generation as main heroes in Super - for real

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Younger generation as main heroes in Super - for real

Post by coola » Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 pm

We already had Mr. Toriyama trying to pass the torch to younger generation, and it almost always ended with Goku stealing spotlight again. I would love Dragon Ball Super much more, if it allowed passing torch to younger generation, have Goku/Vegeta as mentors, and make Goten, Trunks, Pan and Uub new heroes, maybe having them to unlock some ancient evil, and have to take care of it themselves (It wouldn't be old Saiyans fault this time however, like in Buu Saga) I understand it is very risky, but i would really love to have younger generation as main heroes :)
Last edited by coola on Sun May 03, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dyno
Banned

Re: Younger generation as main heroes in Super - for real

Post by Dyno » Sun May 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Think you forgot Trunks. :lol:

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 pm

I completely agree, I really want Pan to be the main protagonist for the new series, but Oob will probably end up being stronger due to his training with Goku. Maybe Pan will join them mid-way through and become strong enough to keep up with someone who did nothing but train under Goku for who knows how long.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Yeah, i did forgot about him :oops: As long as he won't be this cocky jerk from Buu Saga, he can join too :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Well, the end of Z showed a pretty different Trunks... He was indeed acting like a more mature adolescent (adult, actually, as he is 18 there), really liked his portrayl there.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 6:12 pm

I so want the young generation to step up and take the mantle in Dragon Ball Super. This is Oob's time to shine, dammit!!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:16 pm

So if it's true then I can see Uub, Pan, Bra and someone new becoming new generation of Z fighters. It's like how MKX was with Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda and Kung Jin :) .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun May 03, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm not really sure if such transition is possible anymore. I think the chance was lost 20 years ago when Toriyama didn't complete Gohan's takeover and instead reversed it back to Goku. The shows/story has perhaps solified itself in the public's consciousness and pop-culture history as Goku show too much (optionally Goku&Vegeta show). Recent movies only made it worse. At this stage, it would be a huge risk for Toei to pass the mantle and I don't think they would attempt it. So what I hope for is strong ensemble-narration, with multiple characters being trully involved in plot and allowed to carry it independently on-screen (not just standing next to Goku/Vegeta) even if Goku/Vegeta remain #1 & #2 characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Goku didn't steal the spotlight, he's not real. Toriyama chose to focus back on his original main character. The way you phrase it makes it sound like Goku was a diva who threw a hissy fit until he got more screen time. I would like Toriyama to make more use of his other characters, but with Goku and maybe Vegeta to the main character(s). I don't particularly care for Uub, nor do I understand why anyone else cares so much to see him in the spotlight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 pm

New Jump promotion for Dragon Ball Super says Goku will be fighting forever. Not saying the next generation can't be part of the main cast, but I doubt they are going to be THE main heroes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:New Jump promotion for Dragon Ball Super says Goku will be fighting forever. Not saying the next generation can't be part of the main cast, but I doubt they are going to be THE main heroes.
And rightfully so. Goku's the icon. If you want to see what happens when you try to replace a main character, look how well it turned out for Dukes of Hazard.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Doesn't JoJo replace the main character all the time?

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 03, 2015 7:20 pm

It wont last if he tried. I just cant see it outside of why Goten & Trunks never became the leads. The fan favourite veterans are who people want to see doing new things. Having new kids take over would make the continuation seem like a Spin off. If anything, Super should be about training them rather than putting them ahead. Similar to what was originally planned with Gohan's growth. Though the only doubt I'd have would wether or not they'd just end up either unable to live up to Goku's presence, or just become a clone of him which is even worse.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:Doesn't JoJo replace the main character all the time?
Yes, but that's different because they do it all the time, it's expected, and each JoJo doesn't stick around long enough for anyone to get too upset about it. With Dragon Ball, however, Goku has been the main character for 30 years, and I don't think it would work if they changed that. I wouldn't mind a second series with a new generation of Dragon Ball heroes though, or if they dedicated several episodes here and there to the younger generation, and I could see Goku occasionally stepping back and saying "You need to take care of this one yourselves, I won't always be around"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 9:40 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Doesn't JoJo replace the main character all the time?
Yes, but that's different because they do it all the time, it's expected, and each JoJo doesn't stick around long enough for anyone to get too upset about it. With Dragon Ball, however, Goku has been the main character for 30 years, and I don't think it would work if they changed that. I wouldn't mind a second series with a new generation of Dragon Ball heroes though, or if they dedicated several episodes here and there to the younger generation, and I could see Goku occasionally stepping back and saying "You need to take care of this one yourselves, I won't always be around"
Goku already tried to do that in the manga. Three times.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon May 04, 2015 1:25 am

I know this may not be the best place for it, but honestly my theory for the end of Super is that Goku will become a God or some sort of deity who guards Earth (or maybe the universe) from evil. I'm not sure if it's a direct quote from Toei's press release on the show or if someone just farted it in, but I recall the plot synopsis saying that Goku will "attempt to keep Earth's fragile peace." Combined with the fact that he has become a God as of Battle of Gods and then palette swapped into a blue Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, I think the whole endgame here will be that Goku becomes immortal and the protector of the universe and everything good.

It's nothing except a theory, but it'd be nice. As for OP's topic, Toriyama tried that and reverted it back to Goku. And honestly, Goku is Dragon Ball. Every time I think of the show, I think of Goku. He is at it from the very beginning to the very end and has the perfect personality: pure of heart, defends good from evil, never fights to kill, always wants to get stronger. Basically, he has the traits of love, peace, forgiving, and courage/determination. He's perfect. Gohan on the other hand doesn't like fighting and slacks off.

Honestly, I think that the most memorable part of Z is Goku's battle with Frieza. It was purely a battle between good and evil. When he transforms into a Super Saiyan and says "I know this is where I need to be," he is the sole protector of the universe at that point and the only one who can/does stop Frieza. It is epitomized in that moment as he stares at Frieza before Gohan flies away with the downed Piccolo. Goku is simply too iconic from that transformation scene to ever be truly replaced.

TL;DR Goku is too iconic because 90% of the series focuses on him, and the SSJ transformation is solidified into everyone's mind.

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Mon May 04, 2015 2:08 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:New Jump promotion for Dragon Ball Super says Goku will be fighting forever. Not saying the next generation can't be part of the main cast, but I doubt they are going to be THE main heroes.
No, there is no new Jump promotion saying that. I explained it in the other post, but I'll copy it here for you:
sanorin wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:''Who will be next?''
Hey guys, sorry to burst your bubble, but this image is fake.

Well, not fake exactly, but from 20 years ago. If you notice the publish date at the bottom, it says 5月23日火. 火 is short for 火曜日 (Tuesday). The 23rd of May this year doesn't fall in Tuesday, but in Saturday.

SO, this is a scan from 1995, when Dragon Ball was originally being published in Shonen Jump, right after Boo was defeated, and right before the 28th Tenkaichi Budoukai. Clearly, that "next character" is referring to Uub. The following sentence (under "DRAGON BALL" and next to Toriyama's name) says:

平和を取り戻した地球‼天下一武道会の最中に衝撃的な事件発生‼
Peace returned to Earth!! Shocking incident occurs in the midst of the Tenkaichi Budokai!!

Also, if you look at the right page, you can see the character Shingo Aoi, from Captain Tsubasa World Youth, which was also being published in Shonen Jump in 1995. I don't know about the other characters though. :mrgreen:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon May 04, 2015 2:53 am

sanorin wrote:No, there is no new Jump promotion saying that. I explained it in the other post, but I'll copy it here for you:
That post was made well before you pointed it out in the other thread, where I already acknowledged it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Mon May 04, 2015 3:03 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
sanorin wrote:No, there is no new Jump promotion saying that. I explained it in the other post, but I'll copy it here for you:
That post was made well before you pointed it out in the other thread, where I already acknowledged it.
Oh I'm very sorry for that! I was reading this post later and didn't notice the date :oops:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 04, 2015 6:11 am

I'm fine with them having roles in the story and hope others such as Piccolo do as well however having them take over as the main characters would be a little much.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.