Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What? Only if you don't care about the background music because if you do you wouldn't say that.
I didn't mean Dragon Ball Kai Parts 1 - 4. I meant the actual season sets.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What? Only if you don't care about the background music because if you do you wouldn't say that.
I didn't mean Dragon Ball Kai Parts 1 - 4. I meant the actual season sets.
I know you meant the Season sets as you wrote that before.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 7:34 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I know you meant the Season sets as you wrote that before.
Well then why did you question whether I care about the background music when I brought up the Season Sets? Is it about the music placement?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Precisely. Kai 1.0 was meant to be a cinematic and modern experience which the Kikuchi replacement score removed away with its very limited amount of BGMs and that the tunes themselves sound very dated in comparison to Yamamto's version.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Dragon Ball Z Kai was not in stock at fye or best buy, I don't understand.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 8:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Precisely. Kai 1.0 was meant to be a cinematic and modern experience which the Kikuchi replacement score removed away with its very limited amount of BGMs and that the tunes themselves sound very dated in comparison to Yamamto's version.
Well, Dragon Ball Z is dated show, no matter what way you look at it. You can put a tuxedo on an old dog, but it's still an old dog.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm

All the stores I went had so many Blu Ray dbz, orange bricks, and everything else, but no dbz kai! It's practically like Kai has been recalled everywhere.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, Dragon Ball Z is dated show, no matter what way you look at it. You can put a tuxedo on an old dog, but it's still an old dog.
There's a difference - Z's a classic anime and Kai was meant to be modern. Kai clearly has failed to do as such.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Upon second look recently I realized Kai is actually a great experience! I want to buy it yet no stores I've visited have it in stock!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well, Dragon Ball Z is dated show, no matter what way you look at it. You can put a tuxedo on an old dog, but it's still an old dog.
There's a difference - Z's a classic anime and Kai was meant to be modern. Kai clearly has failed to do as such.
Kai was just meant to be a glorified remastered version of the original Z anime with less filler. It's only really seen as modern to the American audiences because of the change in voice actors for some major characters (Gohan, Freeza, Bulma, #18), improved script, no Faulconer and less filler. If you're a fan of the original JPN version of the show, there are no significant differences between that an Kai apart from the opening and end theme, a few insert songs and less filler.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Kai was just meant to a glorified remastered version of the original Z anime with less filler. It's only really seen as modern to the American audiences because of the change in voice actors, improved script and less filler. If you're a fan of the original JPN version of the show, there are no significant differences between that an Kai apart from the opening and end theme, a few insert songs and less filler.
Kai was meant to be a fresh modern experience not for the American audience (why would they be the special ones to get the treatment? but anyway) but for everyone. Kai with the Yamamoto score made a huge difference but then they went back to Kikuchi and ruined it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 8:33 pm

Just went to Barnes and noble and they didn't have it either!

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:Just went to Barnes and noble and they didn't have it either!
That really sucks, I just bought mine on Amazon. If I were you, that's what I'd do.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:Just went to Barnes and noble and they didn't have it either!
I bought parts 1-8 for $150 off ebay. Literally like new condition with slip covers.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 8:52 pm

I wanted to buy it in store and I live in a shopping central northern New Jersey area. I went to Barnes and noble, fye, best buy, and more today. Nbody had Kai, just various Z releases.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 pm

I'm not sure about the season sets, but you'd be really lucky to even find parts 1-4 kai in stores.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:I'm not sure about the season sets, but you'd be really lucky to even find parts 1-4 kai in stores.
No store had anything Kai related, not a season set or part. All any store has are things I already bought like the bricks or battle of gods. They had HD Z but obviously I want Kai.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am

Careless Saiyajin wrote: No store had anything Kai related, not a season set or part. All any store has are things I already bought like the bricks or battle of gods. They had HD Z but obviously I want Kai.

Despite it being years after the release, I don't think I ever saw a Kai DVD in stores. I've seen Blu-rays and even those are rare. Like I'd find the first two Blu-rays even though more came out. Your best bet?

The Entire Collection

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DragonBall-Drag ... 4d21cc9b74

I know you want to pick it up in a store, but it's not going to happen dude.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am

They were not rare in stores when they initially were released. In fact every store in the entire world that sells any movies had them. However my last resort will be Amazon. I still find it weird that even the more recent Kai releases are not to be found anywhere.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 am

Careless Saiyajin wrote:They were not rare in stores when they initially were released. In fact every store in the entire world that sells any movies had them. However my last resort will be Amazon. I still find it weird that even the more recent Kai releases are not to be found anywhere.
The Kai releases are a few years old and the new hotness are those season blurays. Brick and mortar stores only have so much shelf space so they are more likely to carry the new thing over the old one. Amazon, Rightstuf, etc. are your best bet.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.