Ideas for a skill-based 2D Dragon Ball fighting game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Ideas for a skill-based 2D Dragon Ball fighting game

Post by emperior » Sun May 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Dragon Ball

As a fan of Budokai/Shin Budokai, Infinite World and Burst Limit, me, as many other fans, would like to see DB games back to 2D.
I really liked Burst Limit, as many other people did, and we wanted more of it but ended up disappointed, as the game was incomplete and we got no sequel, even if there were hints of one. The game sold pretty well despise the fact it came out only on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at a time where many people still didn't make the switch to the newer consoles. The game wasn't even marketed properly and the fact it didn't have Buu saga was a let down for many people.
But the game was very promising and it had a lot of potential.

In general, 2D DBZ games have always had very good hand to hand combat, with more varied and complicated combos and the gameplay was generally more deep and competitive. The gameplay of 2D games promotes skillful players, and spamming usually isn't much of an issue.
These games still keep a very Dragon Ball feel (like Shin Budokai) even if they don't give full freedom of movement.
Dimps has always excelled at making 2D games and it would be good to see them coming back to 2.5D games.

Here are my ideas and my wishlist for a hypothetical 2.5D Dragon Ball game.

Overall:

First, this game would be released only on PS4, XB1, PC and Nintendo Switch.

The gameplay must be 2D (or 2.5D).
The game should feature a good, balanced roster with no clones. Each character would have his personal fighting style. Some moves to choose would be great as long as it doesn't create unbalances.
This game would obviously have online multiplayer, and a Create-a-Character option like in Xenoverse would be great.
Character customization should be different from Xenoverse, there should be the option to choose a personality for your CaC based on existing characters. The created character would be a clone of an already existing one in both fighting style and moves, based on the choice of the gamer, so as to not mess up the game balance.
There should be many modes, including a Story mode, so as to not bore players. An arcade mode, training mode and versus mode would be mandatory.

Graphics:

The graphics should be similar to those of Burst Limit, with Cel-shaded characters and good aura effects. Burst Limit is the Dragon Ball game which got closer to the look and feeling of the anime. With the new technlogy, the graphics would look absolutely fenomenal if there was Cel-shading and a less plastic look.
Arenas wouldn't be big, and with the power of new consoles, it would be great if they were able to be completely destroyed. It would also be great to be able to change arena each time you get up in the air and then get down.
The game should run on 1080p and 60 FPS on consoles would be a must.

Gameplay:

The game should be easy to get in but hard to master. There should be directional input during combos, with directional guard and directional hits. Fatigue system should work exactly like it worked in Budokai 3.
Ki and Transformations should be handled like on Shin Budokai, along the option of choosing an already transformed character.
Have both Real-Time ultimates like in Burst Limit/Shin Budokai and Cinematic ones like in Budokai 3 for the strongest ultimates like the Spirit Bomb, remove the blue screen from real-time Ultimate moves, to make them more cinematic like in other games such as Tenkaichis, Raging Blasts and Xenoverse.
Every character should have different combo strings to not feel like clones. Add permanent battle damage and permanent scenario destruction (like in Ultimate Tenkaichi) for better immersion.
All characters would have as many moves as possible and as many costumes as possible, and a detailed clothes destruction system would be awesome to have.

Roster:
[/spoiler]

Stages (24):
Last edited by emperior on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 am, edited 50 times in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Would you like a Burst Limit 2?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 03, 2015 6:01 pm

No thanks. I'm not really interested in a 2D fighter these days, unless it only covers the first half of the series/original Dragon Ball.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Hell yeah, I'd love for a sequel for Burst Limit! :thumbup:

But like TheDevilsCorpse said, I'd be a lot more interested in it if all of the material pre-Raditz got covered.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

In my opinion 2.5D DB games works better than a 3D one. We don't have issues like spamming (been in every 3D game) and the focus is more on fighting than ki blasts. Feels more like the show.
I like a lot 3D games too for the freedom of movement they give you, but I disliked the fact 2.5D has been forgotten.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:22 pm

I've already made a thread on ideas for a potential Budokai 4/Burst Limit 2:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=29517
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 04, 2015 7:17 am

Yes but I'd much rather have a Budokai 4 or Infinite World 2 as I found the fighting in those game to flow better and to be much smoother in general. And big cancel combos were actually practical in real fights in those games.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 05, 2015 6:57 am

It can be Budokai 4, Infinite World 2 or Burst Limit 2, it doesn't matter.
I think Burst Limit 2 would be more appropriate as the game was in fact incomplete and everyone felt like there would have been a sequel, but we got none.
DBZ-DBGT works as well in 2.5D as in 3D, don't know where some people find the problem. Hand to hand combat feels much better and same for ki blasts which usually are guarded or avoided by disappearing while in 3D games it's so easy to dodge them, it doesn't feel like the show at all, also having small Death Balls and Spirit Bombs doesn't feel right. Not to mention Super Saiyan (and transformations) worked a lot better in 2.5D games where when out of stamina you got back to base form. Xenoverse made it spam only, something that never happened in the show, also making it non-permanent isn't even good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 am

emperior wrote:As a fan of Budokai games, Shin Budokais and Burst Limit, I would like to see DB games back to 2.5D.
I also like 3D games, and the best would be if we got a yearly switch between 3D and 2.5D games.
I really loved Burst Limit, and I wanted more of it but ended up disappointed, the game was incomplete and there were many hints of a sequel.
The fact it didn't have Buu saga was a let down. But the game was promising and had lot of potential.
I would love to see a Burst Limit 2 one day. Budokai 3 and Infinite World felt complete, a sequel to them wouldn't feel right.

Overall:

The game should be 2.5D. Same visuals as Burst Limit. This game should release only on new gen consoles and PC to have the best out of it.
Featuring a large roster of the most loved and most important fighters of Dragon Ball Z, each with their personality and fighting style.
The game features a competitive multiplayer and a Create-a-Character option like in Xenoverse.

Story Mode:

A Story Mode rich of cutscenes like Budokai 1, with some fun mini game and as many battles as possible up to RoF films and eventually Dragon Ball Super. A World Map like in Tenkaichi 2 and Boss battles like in Xenoverse/Ultimate Tenkaichi.
Good amount of What-Ifs.

Graphics:

The game should have similar graphics to Burst Limit, which had one of the best graphics ever seen on a DB game, Aura was really well done.
Scenarios graphics should be updated and overall graphics more polished, with better resolution and locked 60 FPS.

Gameplay:

Build upon the excellent gameplay 2.5D games already provided. Keep drama scenes for story mode but remove them from versus and online play. Ki and transformations should be handled like in Shin Budokais.
Real-Time ultimates like in Burst Limit/Shin Budokai, but remove the blue screen when using them and make it somewhat cinematic.
Some of the strongest Ultimates should be full cinematic like in Budokai 3, for example Spirit Bomb, Death Ball and Supernova, which are huge.
Big enough roster with every important character, all of them should feel different.
Complex combos like in Budokai 3 with more spectacular combos as in Tenkaichi 3. Battle damage and scenario destruction for better immersion.

Roster:
The game should be locked 60 fps for console only. PC version should have the option for 30 to 240 fps, or just 144 like Xenoverse did.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 05, 2015 8:11 am

Yeah you're right, didn't think of that one :D
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

shonenhikada
Banned

Re: Would you like a Budokai 4 or Burst Limit 2?

Post by shonenhikada » Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 pm

I would really like if dimp made a Budokai 4 for the PS4 using all the character rosters from Heroes and using the shin budokai another road battle system.

It would be so awesome playing story mode completely, and What if scenarios with all the characters. God so awesome.

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:51 am

That sounds like a good idea. Personally I would love a proper Budokai 4 (no infinite world doesn't count) or a budokai tenkaichi 4 both of these are long over due. I believe BT3 came out in 2007 and Budokai 3 in 2006. Nearly a decade for both of them.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:12 am

Sun Wukong wrote:That sounds like a good idea. Personally I would love a proper Budokai 4 (no infinite world doesn't count) or a budokai tenkaichi 4 both of these are long over due. I believe BT3 came out in 2007 and Budokai 3 in 2006. Nearly a decade for both of them.
Budokai 3 came out in 2004 so it's over a decade.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I would probably rather have a Super Dragon Ball Z sequel, but a Budokai 4 would actually be pretty good. Perhaps a combination of the first Budokai and Budokai 2. The combination of the great cutscenes in the first Budokai, and the board game-like gameplay of the second would be great!
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Neither, as much as I like DBZ/DBZBL I believe people should let go of that Dimps nostalgia/clinging; similar to Tobey Maguire's fans...

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:38 pm

mcdonough88 wrote:Neither, as much as I like DBZ/DBZBL I believe people should let go of that Dimps nostalgia/clinging; similar to Tobey Maguire's fans...
Andrew Garfield was better anyway.

I'd buy a Budokai 4. Redo some characters to make them all play a little more differently than they do (Piccolo having his stretchy arm was a cool start), slap in some BoG/Super characters (Beerus, Whis, Jaco) and I'd be into it. Story mode is a bit overdone so there should be a new mode to accompany/replace it. Specifically the characters thing though, I've been playing a lot of the new Smash Bros lately, and I'm really impressed at how almost every character plays a lot differently than the others, whereas in a lot of DB games it's essentially 3 or 4 characters with different skins. A Budokai game where everyone functions differently but combat still flows would be fantastic. Even if it's just minor differences, like Piccolo's stretchy arm. Maybe give characters stats (Speed, Attack Speed, Health, Damage), but it should be balanced, not having Gogeta maxed out and having Mr. Satan at the lowest.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 pm

mcdonough88 wrote:Neither, as much as I like DBZ/DBZBL I believe people should let go of that Dimps nostalgia/clinging; similar to Tobey Maguire's fans...
Just like how Spike fanboys should let go of Tenkaichi even though it's officially dead.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Just like how Spike fanboys should let go of Tenkaichi even though it's officially dead.
I'm a Sparking! fanboy and I've let go, It's called 'progress' haha.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 am

mcdonough88 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
I'm a Sparking! fanboy and I've let go, It's called 'progress' haha.
Why should I let B/BL go I ask? Spike did everything they could with Tenkaichi by the third game while Budokai still has plenty of room for improvement.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 pm

I would LOVE another addition to the 2D fighting world of DBZ!
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:15 pm

I always dreamed about a Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Guilty Gear X take on Dbz.