Kazé Anime Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai in Germany

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Kazé Anime Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai in Germany

Post by Javaki » Mon May 11, 2015 6:30 am

Javaki wrote:Kazé Anime announced their acquisition of the first 98 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai in Germany today. The first of six Blu-ray/DVD boxes is scheduled for release in September 2015.
Kai will receive a new German dub (no takes from Z will be recycled). Details like aspect ratio and subtitles will be revealed later.

Rumours about a completely new cast and a syndication on the network ProSieben Maxx started spreading weeks before the announcement, but these are unconfirmed as of today.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kazé Anime Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai in Germany

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon May 11, 2015 6:39 am

Great news ! Can't wait to hear Tommy Morgenstern again ! :HOPE:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 am

Javaki wrote:
Javaki wrote:Kazé Anime announced their acquisition of the first 98 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai in Germany today. The first of six Blu-ray/DVD boxes is scheduled for release in September 2015.
Kai will receive a new German dub (no takes from Z will be recycled). Details like aspect ratio and subtitles will be revealed later.

Rumours about a completely new cast and a syndication on the network ProSieben Maxx started spreading weeks before the announcement, but these are unconfirmed as of today.
To add to these rumors the cast is supposedly completely miscast.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon May 11, 2015 7:34 am

sangofe wrote:
Javaki wrote:

To add to these rumors the cast is supposedly completely miscast.
Well, Nozawa's and Morgenstern's voices are so different you could call him a miscast too.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 11, 2015 10:09 am

Javaki wrote:
Well, Nozawa's and Morgenstern's voices are so different you could call him a miscast too.
Yeah, and to me he is. I never liked his voice for Goku.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 11, 2015 2:09 pm

sangofe wrote:
Javaki wrote:
The guy sure could scream, though.

And sing, actually.

And really, I don't know that any casting choice for adult Goku, for any of the international dubs, really resembled Nozawa in terms of the voice (in terms of her acting and delivery, there were some that resembled her, but none in terms of her voice).

I for one hope they're bringing the original cast back. The Latino Spanish dub is a perfect example of how a show can be negatively received if most of the original cast isn't brought back. In some cases, re-casting is inevitable (lost contact with actors, voices change, etc.), but I think they should try to keep as much of the original cast as they can. Besides, in the case of many dubs, it seems that the original cast members that have been brought back are delivering much better performances this time around in Kai.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. I wonder if it's the same cast for the upcoming German dub of Battle of Gods, and if Kazé will be receiving second-hand dubbing materials from another country (like France, who already did their dub and distributed their pre-edited DBZ dub to Germany, or FUNimation, who already did their dub of Kai and distributed it to Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, and possibly other countries). I'm also hoping for more dubbed songs, as Germany did a phenomenal job with dubbing the DBZ songs.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Even if I don't particularly care for Kai that much, I deeply hope the old cast returns, especially the ones for the main characters, considering most of them are still very much active. One just has to switch on the TV here and one will immediately be able to hear many of them in other anime series, live-action shows or movies. Also most, if not all of their voices (the adults') still sound the same as back then. One would just have to make compromises for the younger characters.

But, I have my doubts. Mainly because I don't know if there is someone at TOEI who might suggest new voices and Kazé thus can't ask the old cast. Or they can but they won't be able to afford them. Or the old cast will turn the offer down because they will wonder why someone would want them to dub something they already dubbed 14 years ago, seeing as they are not as attached to the characters and the show in general as in Japan or elsewhere. I hope none of that is the case though.

I really do not want to stomach new voices, especially not for BoG, which is thankfully not handled by Kazé.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 11, 2015 3:50 pm

How well is Kazé regarded in the German anime dubbing industry? And how does that reputation compare to, say, Universum Anime, who is handling the German dub of Battle of Gods?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 11, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm going to be watching the Dragon Ball and Z dubs soon to help my learning German, and I suppose this is a good thing since I'll have that much more to watch. Hopefully, it won't be something that I have to struggle through.
Last edited by One_Instance on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:55 pm

I hope its a success. Despite being a old and tired property, the sales can help other newer anime thrive in the German industry.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:How well is Kazé regarded in the German anime dubbing industry? And how does that reputation compare to, say, Universum Anime, who is handling the German dub of Battle of Gods?
I bought their Detective Conan and One Piece movie releases, and they were handled very well and retained most of the series cast.

I only own Afro Samurai and Devil May Cry from Universum Anime, but these sound also very good. Universum Anime also handles the Ghibli movies in Germany.

Both publishers seem to have access to the best and most popular German voice actors.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Good to see it's being dubbed in more European countries, now if only they could get Selecta Visión or whomever's in charge of the Castillan dub then that'd be great (would love to watch Kai 2.0 all in Spanish). :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:13 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Javaki wrote:
The guy sure could scream, though.

And sing, actually.

And really, I don't know that any casting choice for adult Goku, for any of the international dubs, really resembled Nozawa in terms of the voice (in terms of her acting and delivery, there were some that resembled her, but none in terms of her voice).

I for one hope they're bringing the original cast back. The Latino Spanish dub is a perfect example of how a show can be negatively received if most of the original cast isn't brought back. In some cases, re-casting is inevitable (lost contact with actors, voices change, etc.), but I think they should try to keep as much of the original cast as they can. Besides, in the case of many dubs, it seems that the original cast members that have been brought back are delivering much better performances this time around in Kai.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. I wonder if it's the same cast for the upcoming German dub of Battle of Gods, and if Kazé will be receiving second-hand dubbing materials from another country (like France, who already did their dub and distributed their pre-edited DBZ dub to Germany, or FUNimation, who already did their dub of Kai and distributed it to Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, and possibly other countries). I'm also hoping for more dubbed songs, as Germany did a phenomenal job with dubbing the DBZ songs.
Funimation never distributed anything in Mexico/Latin America or Brazil.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:32 am

By "distributed" I don't mean that their dub aired in those countries, I mean that their dub's audio, video, and script materials (specifically, the Nicktoons-censored version) was what those countries received for dubbing purposes.

Which is kind of ironic, because for the DBZ dub, it was the exact opposite. Fast-forward to the 1:47 mark.