"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 am

kei17 wrote:Toyotaro's manga adaptation, huh? He's certainly good as a doujin artist, but I've never thought he's good as a professional manga artist. He's only good at imitating Toriyama's style and that's it. He's not enough trained as a pro to take over Toriyama. I'm absolutely certain that his manga will suck.
He did an amazing job with the Resurrection F manga, this will probably be of the same quality.
kei17 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I see Goku is in his "F" outfit, possible confirmation it is indeed set after "F"?
It's just Toriyama's F art.
No, it's Toryotaro's art.
I was already corrected and acknowledged this. I thought it was Toriyama because of the muscle size.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:25 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
kei17 wrote:Toyotaro's manga adaptation, huh? He's certainly good as a doujin artist, but I've never thought he's good as a professional manga artist. He's only good at imitating Toriyama's style and that's it. He's not enough trained as a pro to take over Toriyama. I'm absolutely certain that his manga will suck.
He did an amazing job with the Resurrection F manga, this will probably be of the same quality.
The same quality? To me, that means it will suck hard. His manga adaptation was nothing but a bunch of Toriyama imitations framed in random panels that hardly form a manga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:34 am

Even if you feel like his artwork is not that great, at least you could have a good story to tell. Good story telling always comes first to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Even if you feel like his artwork is not that great, at least you could have a good story to tell. Good story telling always comes first to me.
I'm absolutely with you!
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun May 17, 2015 2:42 am

I'm with Kei on this. I don't think it will "suck", but Toyotaro is definitely a doujin artist. He also happens to be great at imitating Toriyama's style. I liked the FnF manga but, kind of going along with what Kei said, it was definitely a promotional thing that had a lot of Toriyama imitation in it. As far as an official (and possibly long running) series....I dunno, it's something I feel Toyotaro will have to grow into.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun May 17, 2015 2:45 am

kei17 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
The same quality? To me, that means it will suck hard. His manga adaptation was nothing but a bunch of Toriyama imitations framed in random panels that hardly form a manga.
To me "the same quality" means wonderful and perfect. Toriyama's current style is for me beyond off-putting, it's like an untalented 5-year old trying to draw Dragon Ball while Toyotaro's style is precisely what you called it "a bunch of Toriyama imitations". And I freaking love it. The first thing a DB manga should have to be liked by me is precisely "the good old Toriyama" drawings. That's why I love such fanmangas as toyble's AF, Multiverse and Wrong time - they pull what I consider Toriyama's all-time best style off way better then he does now.
So here's hoping for a Toyotaro's manga adaptation.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 17, 2015 2:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I see Goku is in his "F" outfit, possible confirmation it is indeed set after "F"?
It's just Toriyama's F art.
No, it's Toryotaro's art.
Who would you rather draw Dragon Ball Super, then? And don't underestimate what Toyble could learn from Toriyama, especially if they work closely together!

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Sun May 17, 2015 2:59 am

sangofe wrote: Who would you rather draw Dragon Ball Super, then? And don't underestimate what Toyble could learn from Toriyama, especially if they work closely together!
Someone, y'know, professional? There's only so far you can get as an imitator.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 am

Isn't the whole reason Toyotaro has a job is because he's good at imitating Toriyama's style and has good work ethic?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 am

I don't know how someone can draw Toriyama-style without imitating it. Not imitating it would require someone to be Akira Toriyama.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 am

They could end up rotating the artists that work on the manga, just like Marvel and DC comics. It would be amazing if they had guest artists do chapters like Eiichiro Oda, and maybe Toriyama could draw the occasional chapter himself.
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Sun May 17, 2015 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 5:42 am

Cetra wrote:I don't know how someone can draw Toriyama-style without imitating it. Not imitating it would require someone to be Akira Toriyama.
I think what they're referring to when they say Toyotaro is imitating is that sometimes he will copy an entire panel that Toriyama did, almost as though he traced it, and just change something like the clothing.

Piririn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piririn » Sun May 17, 2015 6:20 am

I'm hoping Super doesn't follow directly after RoF. I want it to break new ground; develop the younger generation and be completely free to let the story go anywhere. Setting it after RoF would box the show in. Unless the epilogue is completely discarded, the show would have to lead to that status quo. There'd be a subsequent limit to the story possibilities, and a lack of tension/drama because we'd know exactly how everything/everyone ends up.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 6:45 am

Piririn wrote:I'm hoping Super doesn't follow directly after RoF. I want it to break new ground; develop the younger generation and be completely free to let the story go anywhere. Setting it after RoF would box the show in. Unless the epilogue is completely discarded, the show would have to lead to that status quo. There'd be a subsequent limit to the story possibilities, and a lack of tension/drama because we'd know exactly how everything/everyone ends up.
They could do both. Judging from Masako Nozawa's comments, TOEI is planning/hoping for the series to go on for a long time. Toriyama could also start Super by saying something like "At the end of the last Dragon Ball manga, I showed you how things might have turned out if there had been 10 years of peace after the defeat of Majin Buu, but now allow me to tell you the story of what really happened..."

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 am

THey could set the series after Z and have Beerus and Whis too.

I'm really hoping it takes after EoZ

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 am

There was a time when it wasn't the Goku & Vegeta show, it was called Dragon Ball and it was super awesome :P I'm only half kidding because Goku is my second favorite character and while I like Vegeta, their same interactions over and over again are kind of stale for me by now. I haven't watched ROF yet, so maybe things have changed and I have no idea, but I'd welcome more of an ensemble cast and also think that the people who claim that DB was always about Goku and Vegeta are kind of ignoring half of the material pretty much.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Sun May 17, 2015 10:18 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:They could end up rotating the artists that work on the manga, just like Marvel and DC comics. It would be amazing if they had guest artists do chapters like Eiichiro Oda, and maybe Toriyama could draw the occasional chapter himself.
Nice idea.
Hi

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun May 17, 2015 10:27 am

garnetjester wrote:There was a time when it wasn't the Goku & Vegeta show, it was called Dragon Ball and it was super awesome :P I'm only half kidding because Goku is my second favorite character and while I like Vegeta, their same interactions over and over again are kind of stale for me by now. I haven't watched ROF yet, so maybe things have changed and I have no idea, but I'd welcome more of an ensemble cast and also think that the people who claim that DB was always about Goku and Vegeta are kind of ignoring half of the material pretty much.
!

The Saiyan, Namek, and Cell arcs, basically everything up to Super Buu certainly wasn't the Goku & Vegeta show. It was never the Goku & Vegeta show until the Kid Buu arc and these new movies
Last edited by sbk on Sun May 17, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun May 17, 2015 10:33 am

Namek was my favorite part of Z (in the manga because in the anime the filler was too much) because of the ensemble cast. DB has superb supporting characters so I want to see them around more.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 17, 2015 10:41 am

Sayo-chan wrote:
sangofe wrote: Who would you rather draw Dragon Ball Super, then? And don't underestimate what Toyble could learn from Toriyama, especially if they work closely together!
Someone, y'know, professional? There's only so far you can get as an imitator.
1) He's Professional since he's being paid for it.
2) Name someone, don't just say "someone". Frankly, if someone else drew it, it would be Dragon Ball in another style, because as far as I know, there's nobody who can do the Dragon Ball style better than Toyble.