"Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden (3DS)

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Godzilla: The Game got a Western release here in the US due to popular demand. The 2014 Godzilla movie from last year was a big hit that it help boost up the popularity of the series and more people wanted a new Godzilla game for a while now. If fans really want Extreme Butouden to come out in the US then show demand for the game. Tell Namco Bandai America that is demand for DBZ games outside the consoles. They have a Facebook and Twitter after all.
The 2014 Godzilla movie was an overhyped mediocre movie with very little of Godzilla and Bryan Cranston left it also way too soon. It wasn't a very good movie at all. And as for the game, the trailers of it don't look great but rather a budget average game without too much thought put into it.

Fans shouldn't have to tell Bandai Namco Entertainment that we want a Dragon Ball game on the 3DS. If they don't release it then it's their loss anyway.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Don't hold your breath. Extreme Butoden will most likely not get any kind of release anywhere in the West, period.
Probably. :(
I've been out of the loop with video games, but are people only saying this because Ultimate Butōden never got localized?

Ultimate Butōden was a strange one that came out at a strange time. I can understand why that one got missed. But I see no reason why we can't get Extreme Butōden, especially at a time when Bandai Namco seem to be bringing a ton of stuff over here.

Really want to play this. They're digging so deep for the assist characters. The list just keeps going. I'm loving it.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Well, handhelds are not much popular in Europe and everyone is playing on mobile phones or tablets and on game consoles at home.
I can see a reason that only handful of handheld games gets over to Europe. But I remember that the situation was reverse in 90's and minority of people had TV consoles, everyone had Game Boy Color and later Advance.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 17, 2015 11:18 pm

New characters.

Or is this an old news as well? :roll:

moochfloatjr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by moochfloatjr » Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Dyno wrote:New characters.

QR codes tied to Discross?

Well, it was fun hoping. This is the final nail in the localization coffin for me.
Don't be too alarmed if I just don't show up for a few months. Hooray for fleeting interests!
Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Super Saiyan 3 Lord Appule vs. Kaio-ken x20 Future Mecha Nappa
Nappa squashes Appule like the bug he is.

TheGameTagerZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGameTagerZ » Mon May 18, 2015 12:14 am

Nope it's new :p

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 18, 2015 1:11 am

Ugh, so many characters relegated to assist roles :/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 am

So... have all the playable characters been revealed now? I mean, from the website we have 24 tabs, and we see them populated as such:

1. Base Goku
2. Base Vegeta
3. Base Gohan
4. SS Trunks
5. Kuririn
6. Perfect Cell
7. Piccolo
8. Freeza
9. Raditz
10. Nappa
11. Ginyu
12. 18
13. Fat Boo
14. SS Gotenks
15. Pure Boo
16. Bardock
17. SS Goku
18. SS2 Gohan

And adding characters that we've seen playable portraits for in scans/trailers...

19. SS Vegeta
20. LSS Broli
21. Ultimate Gohan
22. Beerus
23. SS God Goku (haven't seen this for myself, but it has been posted in the thread)
24. SS God SS Goku

...damn. That's a really weird, and kinda shitty, roster. 24 characters isn't too little if they handle it right, and this is pretty fucking far from handling it right.

The only possibility I see for more characters is if the 24 slots on the website doesn't count characters that are exclusive to certain things (like SS God SS Goku). But, as far as I know, SS God SS Goku is the only playable character confirmed to be exclusive so that still would only mean one more slot.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon May 18, 2015 4:39 am

Saiga wrote: That's a really weird, and kinda shitty, roster. 24 characters isn't too little if they handle it right, and this is pretty fucking far from handling it right.
It is pretty shitty indeed, I still wish they went in and used Super Sonic Warriors 2 roster as a starting point so you'd have more variety to begin with and then adding the BoG characters instead of creating more than a 100 sprites just for assist characters and having the main roster being really barebones with SSJ versions as separate characters.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:28 am

Saiga wrote:So... have all the playable characters been revealed now? I mean, from the website we have 24 tabs, and we see them populated as such:

1. Base Goku
2. Base Vegeta
3. Base Gohan
4. SS Trunks
5. Kuririn
6. Perfect Cell
7. Piccolo
8. Freeza
9. Raditz
10. Nappa
11. Ginyu
12. 18
13. Fat Boo
14. SS Gotenks
15. Pure Boo
16. Bardock
17. SS Goku
18. SS2 Gohan

And adding characters that we've seen playable portraits for in scans/trailers...

19. SS Vegeta
20. LSS Broli
21. Ultimate Gohan
22. Beerus
23. SS God Goku (haven't seen this for myself, but it has been posted in the thread)
24. SS God SS Goku

...damn. That's a really weird, and kinda shitty, roster. 24 characters isn't too little if they handle it right, and this is pretty fucking far from handling it right.

The only possibility I see for more characters is if the 24 slots on the website doesn't count characters that are exclusive to certain things (like SS God SS Goku). But, as far as I know, SS God SS Goku is the only playable character confirmed to be exclusive so that still would only mean one more slot.
Yeah... I'm gonna have to agree with you on this... Generally I try to be optimistic regarding new things, but the roster they have so far is kind of really bleh for me especially given the fact that it seems that there are no in game transformations and that each form is character in itself. I don't even care that there aren't that many characters in it either, it's just that some of the characters they did choose to put in there are kind of lame...

Regarding the main roster, we get one time characters like Ginyu, Raditz, Nappa, Bardock, and Brolli when there could have been other more interesting characters like Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Videl, Mr. Satan, and heck even #16 who has freaking rocket punches. Despite this, I won't deny that this is mostly based on my own preferences. I do think most of the characters the developers chose for the main roster aren't too bad especially if they intend to fully flesh out the characters. For instance, while I don't like Brolli, I can see him being used as a unique fighter given his size and stupid big green ball attacks. And there's also the fact that Ginyu has that body change attack. However, my main problem is with the support characters. I mean you got Karin and Dende and Kibito?! That's just redundant. The whole support character thing is redundent. I'll bet at least 50% of the support character roster just does some attack and then disappears. The only difference would be how much damage and even then there's bound to be a few that does the same amount. I mean it's cool the first time, but after that it gets kind of dumb. Plus at least half of the support characters are characters you don't even care about. Who cares about turtle, announcer, Garlic Jr, Yi shing whatever Dragon from GT, or random henchman #3? No one. That's why no one ever put them in a Dragon Ball Z game in the first place. (Well actually, I have a soft spot for the announcer, but it was never his place to be a support character) The fact that there's 1000 support characters just makes me wonder why they didn't just take out 3/4's of them and spend that extra time to make at least one or two more unique characters that you can actually have fun playing and exploring for hours on end instead of just pressing a character icon to have Babidi come out, fart on you for 2% damage and exit stage right like a bi@#$. The whole thing is just a dumb gimmick...

I mean it's all speculation on my part and heck I could be completely wrong. I haven't even played the game. This game could be actually be absolutely amazing and I truly do hope this game is amazing and sees an American and worldwide release for all my Non-Murican comrades, but for now I just can't get too excited about this game. And it's a darn shame, because I haven't played a new Dragon Ball/Z game in years and I was really hoping this game would've made all my dreams come true and not just be Super Sonic Warriors 2 HD Special Edition 1080 P Remastered 2.22 You Can (not) Advance (without spamming stupid support characters) now with 2 or 3 less playable characters and 900 extra support characters. I apologize if I've come off as rude, but I just had to vent a bit. I truly do wish this game is good and does well in terms of profit.

edit: Ah, looks like Quebaz pretty much said what I said in far fewer words... Brevity is the soul of wit.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am

MCDaveG wrote:Well, handhelds are not much popular in Europe and everyone is playing on mobile phones or tablets and on game consoles at home.
I can see a reason that only handful of handheld games gets over to Europe. But I remember that the situation was reverse in 90's and minority of people had TV consoles, everyone had Game Boy Color and later Advance.
Then that explains why the 3DS is such a huge success. :roll: Seriously come on now, you can't actually believe that portable consoles aren't popular in Europe, maybe not in some countries but it is for most.

P.S.: Should have just said "portable console" because the Vita is pretty much dead leaving the 3DS as the only one alive without a rival.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Saiga wrote:So... have all the playable characters been revealed now? I mean, from the website we have 24 tabs, and we see them populated as such:

1. Base Goku
2. Base Vegeta
3. Base Gohan
4. SS Trunks
5. Kuririn
6. Perfect Cell
7. Piccolo
8. Freeza
9. Raditz
10. Nappa
11. Ginyu
12. 18
13. Fat Boo
14. SS Gotenks
15. Pure Boo
16. Bardock
17. SS Goku
18. SS2 Gohan

19. SS Vegeta
20. LSS Broli
21. Ultimate Gohan
22. Beerus
24. SS God SS Goku

Burst Limit and Super DBZ had less of a roster than this, but they're among my favorite Dragon Ball games of all time, so I wouldn't do any major judgment yet. But I do agree with Saiga that if a compact roster was planned, they could have handled it much better.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 pm

We also saw Super Saiyan Bardock.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Mon May 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Here are the 24 with their stats: http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/16/d ... e-assists/

SSJGSSJ Goku is not counted in the 24.

TheGameTagerZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGameTagerZ » Mon May 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Dyno wrote:We also saw Super Saiyan Bardock.
Correct. I don't see him in the roster oddly enough though. He might be a secret character to unlock maybe.

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/18/d ... -and-more/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

If the gameplay is good then 24 characters are fine. For a handle game, I don't think the game was going to have 200 something characters in it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon May 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Or he will appear soon enough, just like Super Saiyan Kakarot and such.

I'm so, so... SO anxious to see Gine. :clap:

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon May 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If the gameplay is good then 24 characters are fine. For a handle game, I don't think the game was going to have 200 something characters in it.
The number is fine, as Lord Beerus said previously, other DBZ games have have similar sized rosters and they're good games, but having more variety wouldn't hurt, I could easily trade off Base Goku, Teen Gohan, Vegeta and Super Saiyan Gohan for Dabura, Tenshinhan, C-16 and Dr.Gero, and that's only using characters from previous Butoudens.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If the gameplay is good then 24 characters are fine. For a handle game, I don't think the game was going to have 200 something characters in it.
Well the game does have like 200 characters if you count the support characters. But I won't deny that after checking out the main character roster stats I did get a bit more optimistic about the game. Though I don't know why they made Piccolo have stupidly small reach given his extendo arms and have Ultimate Gohan have pretty much the same stats as his SSJ form but with additional reach. I don't know I feel like it would make more sense to give him a boost in speed and melee given he's supposed to work best in close range. But, I've never made a fighting game, so I wouldn't know. I'll just go with it until I (hopefully) eventually get to play the game.
Last edited by dae428 on Mon May 18, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nilcam

Post by nilcam » Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm

ShonenGameZ has posted a page showing the roster and breaking down the characters' traits. While the roster is more limited than it could be, there seems to be a lot of variations between characters. June cannot get here soon enough.