"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Super's manga written by Toriyama drawn by Toyotarō

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 1:58 pm

LuckyCat wrote:The above ad says the manga starts in August.
Does it not say it starts in the August issue of V-Jump, which is dated two months ahead of release (meaning June)?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue May 19, 2015 2:05 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:The above ad says the manga starts in August.
Does it not say it starts in the August issue of V-Jump, which is dated two months ahead of release (meaning June)?
It does.
I will never understand the idea behind claiming it's an August issue, only to have it available as soon as June :?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue May 19, 2015 2:11 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Does it not say it starts in the August issue of V-Jump, which is dated two months ahead of release (meaning June)?
Oh I see. That's confusing, but thanks for the clarification. :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:03 pm

This may not mean much, but IGN also reported the story of Dragon Ball Super getting its own manga.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Oh cool we're getting the Manga next month. Won't have to wait long to see where Super takes place. Gosh this is exciting!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh cool we're getting the Manga next month. Won't have to wait long to see where Super takes place. Gosh this is exciting!
I know right! :D

So much new Dragon Ball content and so little time to soak it all in. I feel like a kid again watching the series for the first time all those years ago. I can't wait! :P

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I gathered a complete collection of the the viz Dragonball and DBZ many years ago. Still re-read them once every few years, and reference them from time to time when a newer fan asks me something that I don't quite remember. Only just today noticed that they put out a domestic release of Jaco + DB Minus and ordered it from Amazon. I am anxious to read that story and see what it is all about, as it will probably be read just in time to have a better appreciation of Jaco before I see Revival of F. No doubt, DBS will get translated and released here eventually, but I am curious if there will ever be any plans to do something like a special or extra volume that contains the Manga adaptations of Yo Son Goku and Friends Return, Revival of F and such in one collected book too? Was there also such an adaptation alongside Battle of Gods? Never read anything about there being one or not. Also, I've been waiting patiently for years now it seems for Neko Majin Z to get a domestic release. I wonder if that is ever going to happen?

Just some thoughts or info if anyone has heard anything would be great. Even if it is a back issue of one of the magazines that contains any of these things I guess I could track it down to have some of this stuff in english. I can watch subtitled shows and enjoy them just fine, that's how I originally experienced Dragonball, but unfortunately for the mangas, I have to have it in english. I bought a couple way back when in Japanese, and after you look through at the artwork a couple of times, it loses its novelty without words you can read.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Best part of this is Toyotarō is a hardcore fan: Let no one forget he went by Toyble once upon a time. He may be the artist, but he'll be on our side if Toriyama writes in something really weird or odd and might influence him in another direction.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Ehhh, it could be good, but I am at least always wary about putting fans in control because, while they do tend to have a keener eye for details, fans lack objectivity. I mean, one look at Episode of Bardock is all it takes to remind me that it's a scary proposition what can happen when a fan gets his/her pet character. But since Toyotaro is just doing the art, maybe you're right, and we'll just get the benefits and not the problems.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Ooishi Naho was free to do whatever she wanted, here it wouldn't be any different if it was her to draw the manga instead Toyotaro, she would draw following a pre-established story, just doing the art, just like what will happen with Toyotaro. So your bullshit here over her is nonsense. And to worse your situation, it's not like Naho only did Episode of Bardock, we already have a prove of what she has done following a pre-established story with Tarble's OVA. Sorry pal, try next time.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Dyno wrote:Ooishi Naho was free to do whatever she wanted, here it wouldn't be any different if it was her to draw the manga instead Toyotaro, she would draw following a pre-established story, just doing the art, just like what will happen with Toyotaro. So your bullshit here over her is nonsense. And to worse your situation, it's not like Naho only did Episode of Bardock, we already have a prove of what she has done following a pre-established story with Tarble's OVA. Sorry pal, try next time.
Come on now. There's no need to get so defensive.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 19, 2015 8:45 pm

It sounds like it's just going to be glorified animanga; it'll be shot-for-shot and word-for-word, except on paper and in black-and-white. Would love to be wrong, though. Wouldn't it be great if it diverged in places and we could argue for decades which one was better?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 pm

B wrote:It sounds like it's just going to be glorified animanga; it'll be shot-for-shot and word-for-word, except on paper and in black-and-white. Would love to be wrong, though. Wouldn't it be great if it diverged in places and we could argue for decades which one was better?
It could cover things not shown in the anime, for example if the anime is focused on Goku and Vegeta, the manga could show what Goten and Trunks are up to, or it could be used to elaborate on the back story of new characters.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Ehhh, it could be good, but I am at least always wary about putting fans in control because, while they do tend to have a keener eye for details, fans lack objectivity. I mean, one look at Episode of Bardock is all it takes to remind me that it's a scary proposition what can happen when a fan gets his/her pet character. But since Toyotaro is just doing the art, maybe you're right, and we'll just get the benefits and not the problems.
You know this isn't an entirely fair statement. Bardock may be one of Ooishi's favorite characters, but can you really blame her for the quality of the special when a good portion of the problems are most likely imposed on her by Shueisha and her editor? Episode of Bardock isn't amazing by any means (though I do love Chilled), but I honestly think she did a pretty good job with the concept/limitations she was given to work with.

I also enjoy Dragon Ball SD's omakes too when she's given the chance to have fun and explore things she wanted to use in the main story, but was rejected by her editor and told to basically continue rehashing the original manga...in a condensed form.
Dyno wrote:Ooishi Naho was free to do whatever she wanted, here it wouldn't be any different if it was her to draw the manga instead Toyotaro, she would draw following a pre-established story, just doing the art, just like what will happen with Toyotaro. So your bullshit here over her is nonsense. And to worse your situation, it's not like Naho only did Episode of Bardock, we already have a prove of what she has done following a pre-established story with Tarble's OVA. Sorry pal, try next time.
As previously mentioned, there's no need to get so rude and defensive. Also as I stated in the above reply, she almost certainly wouldn't be given free roam to do whatever she liked, and Toyotaro likely isn't given such freedom either. He may have had a bit more leeway before with Victory Mission, given the nature of that series/game and adapting it, but I'm sure he dealt with some level of the same editorial issues Ooishi and Toriyama had.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 19, 2015 9:07 pm

As there wasn't any need to be offensive.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why is this even necessary?
If you ask that question you could ask if the original DB manga by Toriyama was necessary. I don't mind this, I actually welcome it, especially if the plan is to have the manga stay ahead of the anime.
That doesn't make sense. The DB manga came first, and then got adapted. On the other hand, this manga is an adaptation of the anime that is already going to be running when this starts publishing.
So what? By that logic an anime adaption of the manga is pointless too. It's just additional promotional material to move merchandise and make money. There's no strict law on what comes first. In the case of Dragon Ball, the manga was made first and then the anime was made to capitalize on the manga's success. Whether it's the original Dragon Ball anime, or DBS's manga, they're both essentially the same thing - adaptation cash-ins.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Debating on waiting for volume releases or if I should get the Vjumps as they come out....then if VIZ gets it, get that as well....hmm I'm not a fan of VJumps paper tho..

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Dyno wrote:As there wasn't any need to be offensive.
He wasn't. His statement was relatively tame, and, ignoring a bit of the context about potential imposition from above her head, a fairly valid concern at that. The problem is that you are taking what he said personally because it was directed at a product and character that you've repeatedly shown to be enamored with. Just because Gaffer Tape doesn't like that specific story though doesn't mean you can't. Likewise, he's allowed to voice his opinion; without rude and defensive replies being tossed back at him. You could have posted what you did in a more shonen manner.

Back on topic though, I wonder how different the anime and manga adaptations will be. The JSAT, BOG SD, and F adaptions have all be tweaked in some manner. I wonder if this first chapter will have anything that doesn't make it into the anime, or if Toyotaro will hold anything back to save surprised for the anime's debut?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed May 20, 2015 2:10 am

So I think there's some confusion here, possibly due to ANN's wording. Toriyama is credited as 原作 (original work), which basically equates to "creator." As in creator of the Dragon Ball franchise in general. It's how he's credited in all the 80s/90s anime episodes and movies. He's also credited that way for Episode of Bardock and SD, while Naho Ooishi is credited as "manga" for both of those. And it's the exact same thing here, but with Toyotarou credited as "manga."

We know that Toriyama has some level of creative involvement with the Super anime. But the thread title and opening post here imply that this manga will have a more direct artist/writer collaboration along the same lines as Death Note's Ohba and Obata, and there's nothing to suggest that will be the case here. Note that Kanzenshuu's article about this doesn't mention anything of the sort.
eledoremassis02 wrote:Debating on waiting for volume releases or if I should get the Vjumps as they come out....then if VIZ gets it, get that as well....hmm I'm not a fan of VJumps paper tho..
Because it's a V Jump series, I'm worried it won't even get collected volumes. None of the other recent DB manga that was published there (Yo!, EOB, Heroes, probably RF) has gotten any standalone volumes, though you could make the case that they're all too short for it. But I don't know how that applies to other V Jump manga.
-Rachel

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed May 20, 2015 4:09 am

TripleRach wrote: Because it's a V Jump series, I'm worried it won't even get collected volumes. None of the other recent DB manga that was published there (Yo!, EOB, Heroes, probably RF) has gotten any standalone volumes, though you could make the case that they're all too short for it. But I don't know how that applies to other V Jump manga.
That relates to what I was saying earlier in the topic, even though each of those is too short on their own, I wonder why they haven't been collected together into a single volume? It is something that I feel would be a nice addition to my DB manga set.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..