Why didn't Gohan beat the crap out of Vegeta

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Why didn't Gohan beat the crap out of Vegeta

Post by shonenhikada » Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

We all know Gohan has some passive aggressive/aggressive rage built up inside him. Why didn't Gohan take out his frustration/anger of his father dying on Vegeta everyday for the past 7 yrs into Buu arc? Seeing that Vegeta is indirectly involved in killing his father. The only logical standpoint and in character portrayal would of been for Gohan to do this or for the very least cut all contacts with Vegeta.Yet, 7 yrs later he is friends with the guy.WTF ???

Seriously Gohan should do this even more if we count the filler where Vegeta beats the crap out of him as a kid and sucker punched him on Namek.

This should of been Vegeta's state everyday for the past 7 years.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why didn't Gohan beat the crap out of Vegeta

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Gohan's just as much to blame as Vegeta for Goku's death, and is even more directly responsible. Besides, what good would taking it out on Vegeta have done?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Tue May 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Gohan's just as much to blame as Vegeta for Goku's death, and is even more directly responsible. Besides, what good would taking it out on Vegeta have done?
Help in the grieving process and remove frustration/despair.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Gohan is pure of heart. No way he'd wish pain on anyone even a dickhead like Vegeta.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Goku could've teleported back. He's dumb.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:37 pm

shonenhikada wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Gohan's just as much to blame as Vegeta for Goku's death, and is even more directly responsible. Besides, what good would taking it out on Vegeta have done?
Help in the grieving process and remove frustration/despair.
That's not how grieving works. Beating somebody up doesn't "remove" anything.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Because Gohan isn't an asshole and that isn't something he'd ever do. He doesn't beat up on anyone unless he absolutely has to. If Vegeta isn't threatening anyone or the earth, then Gohan has no reason to fight him. Besides Goku dying is a mix of his, Vegeta's, and Goku's own fault.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I mean, we could replace the entire premise of this thread with "Why didn't Gohan resort to drinking and sex to get over Goku's death," and the answer would be exactly the same. That's not who Gohan is.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Gohan is not a spiteful, resentful prick like Vegeta is/was. There's no way in hell he'd pull shit like beating up Vegeta for the sake of it. It's so out of character. Plus, Gohan's more to blame for his father dying than Vegeta really is.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue May 19, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Besides Goku dying is a mix of his, Vegeta's, and Goku's own fault.
Not to mention, you know...Cell. The guy who actually killed Goku.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Gohan doesn't like to hurt people, unless you force him over the edge.

Since he was 4 years old he has witnessed murder, genocide, torture, etc, and it is really a miracle he still managed to turn out psychologically SANE.

shonenhikada wrote: Help in the grieving process and remove frustration/despair.

I don't know how inflicting pain on the father/husband of your friends would be psychologically healthy. Hell, Gohan saved him during the Cell fight and Vegeta actually apologized for causing trouble. Gohan is smart enough to understand Vegeta has his issues and to not make them his own.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 19, 2015 6:09 pm

I personally would've liked to see Gohan fall into depression after the events of the Cell games, not because I'm a sadist or hate Gohan, quite the opposite actually. I just think it would have been better than simply brushing off his father's death and immediately being happy about it, to me that's not very believable and hurts the character's relatability.

If he had been depressed then at the very least it would make his his lack of training and desire to fight all the more believable since that would only remind him of his dad. Maybe the idea is "too dark for dragonball" but I think it would have only improved his character in the end because during the Buu arc he'd have the chance to be redeemed and we'd see a conclusion to his character arc, it would feel more connected to the story as a whole rather than a self contained little arc.
Last edited by NitroEX on Tue May 19, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Besides Goku dying is a mix of his, Vegeta's, and Goku's own fault.
Not to mention, you know...Cell. The guy who actually killed Goku.
Wait who is Cell again? :P
NitroEX wrote:I personally would've liked to see Gohan fall into depression after the events of the Cell games, not because I'm a masochist or hate Gohan, quite the opposite actually. I just think it would have been better than simply brushing off his father's death and immediately being happy about it, to me that's not very believable and hurts the character's relatability.

If he had been depressed then at the very least it would make his his lack of training and desire to fight all the more believable since that would only remind him of his dad. Maybe the idea is "too dark for dragonball" but I think it would have only improved his character in the end because during the Buu arc he'd have the chance to be redeemed and we'd see a conclusion to his character arc, it would feel more connected to the story as a whole rather than a self contained little arc.
He seemed happy enough cause his father was happy. Goku wasn't the least bit bummed. Besides it's not like it's impossible to have Kaio allow the two to talk sometimes with his telepathy.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 19, 2015 6:20 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: He seemed happy enough cause his father was happy. Goku wasn't the least bit bummed.
Yeah I realize that but it's something that could have been easily changed to accommodate the other idea. Plus Gohan was just a kid at the time and I don't think you can really process it all at that age.

Also let's not pretend some occasional telepathy is a substitute for having a father raise you for 7 years.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Also what would Bulma think of this? And what about Trunks?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:41 pm

It does baffle me that people accept Vegeta as a friend just like that though. Tien seems to be the only one who remembers all the malicious actions of that asshole, and yet... he wasn't even around for the Namek arc.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It does baffle me that people accept Vegeta as a friend just like that though. Tenshinhan seems to be the only one who remembers all the malicious actions of that asshole, and yet... he wasn't even around for the Namek arc.
I guess getting his ass kicked, humilliated and killed by Freeza was enough for the rest to call it even?
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 pm

soulnova wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:It does baffle me that people accept Vegeta as a friend just like that though. Tenshinhan seems to be the only one who remembers all the malicious actions of that asshole, and yet... he wasn't even around for the Namek arc.
I guess getting his ass kicked, humilliated and killed by Freeza was enough for the rest to call it even?
He didn't stop being a malicious, arrogant, self-centered jerk after that though!

Literally every season, he screwed everyone over.
- Pre-Saiyan arc - A ruthless mercenary who spread genocide to countless races and species.
- Saiyan arc - Indirectly kills all the Z-fighters and tries to destroy the planet. Wishes to become immortal to overthrow Freeza and spread even more genocide throughout the universe.
- Namek arc - Slaughters a bunch of innocent namekians and acts like a dick to Gohan and Krillin, only helping them so he can accomplish his own goals.
- Android saga - Gives two shits when his child and mother of that child are nearly killed, treats the future version of son like trash despite how much Trunks cares for him, let's Cell reach his perfect form, and nearly bring Armageddon to the planet.
- Buu saga - He purposely kills innocent people and allows Buu to be hatched just so he can fight on an even playing field with someone. He knocks Goku out cold when he has his back turned just so he can have a moment of glory that ends in vain.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 am

He was 5

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:40 am

flashback0180 wrote:He was 5
He was a pre-teen. Read the OP, don't just look at the pictures.
Malik_DBNA wrote: