How do you feel about Movie 2?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

How do you feel about Movie 2?

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:02 pm

Personally, it's my 2nd favorite behind BoG.

Sure, it doesn't fit into the timeline, but there's some stuff in here that no other DBZ movie has.

First off, Dr. Wheelo. I love this guy. He's cold and calculating. His plan is probably the best out of all the villains in these movies. It's just so imaginative compared to all the other villains motivations.

The action is great, and I'm glad it's not ALL fighting. I really enjoy the scene where Goku has to escape the Spiky Balls. Theres nothing else like that in the other DBZ movies. I wish there was more action in DBZ that wasn't just people fighting, this is one of the rare examples.

I like Goku fighting against Piccolo, that was a nice treat. The fight in the sky is also pretty fun and intense.

I could go on and on about this movie. The most underrated of the 15 movies. In my humble opinion.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you feel about Movie 2?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I also really like it, it's one of my favorites.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Wed May 20, 2015 7:14 pm

As far as favorites go, I'm very indecisive, but movie 2 is always a candidate when I try to make up my mind. When I was younger I didn't like it too much, though I still enjoyed it. Now that I'm older I can really appreciate it and what it brings to the table that no other Dragon Ball Z films do. It's one of the few movies that don't have a Superman Goku who does anything and everything significant, and I also think it sticks to Toriyama's formula a lot more faithfully than many of the others.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:20 pm

It's okay. I like the weird, B-movie sci-fi/horror music the dub has going on, and Goku vs. Piccolo fights are always fun.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:It's okay. I like the weird, B-movie sci-fi/horror music the dub has going on, and Goku vs. Piccolo fights are always fun.
What don't you like about it then?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 7:30 pm

DBZ Movie is in my top 5 favourite DB movies. It's an underrated classic DBZ movie. The fight choreography was stunning, it had some of best animated battles in the franchise and it would be last Dragon Ball Z movie until ROF that had the human cast actually fight and do something worth a damn.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:40 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It's okay. I like the weird, B-movie sci-fi/horror music the dub has going on, and Goku vs. Piccolo fights are always fun.
Nothing, really. It's just an okay movie.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:
Nothing, really. It's just an okay movie.
Wait... what? I just saw you make a post earlier, and your status was banned, and now you just made this post, and you're still "banned"?

Am I freakin' out or something? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wait... what? I just saw you make a post earlier, and your status was banned, and now you just made this post, and you're still "banned"?

Am I freakin' out or something? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Takes a while for it to change the "Banned" text. Either that...or he's posting FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 pm

I haven't seen it in a semi-long while, but I recall really liking it. :3 Dr. Wheelo also presented a different kind of mad scientist than Dr Gero's Gokû-vengeance-minded version. Movies 1-3 were made in that special DB to Z transition era where you'd be heavier on the hand-to-hand combat, before ki blasts/beams became more prominent.

Also, love adult Gokû with nyoi-bo. I miss nyoi-bo; wish there was a way to bring it back into use.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm

This is a DBZ movie that I never liked for years, but I found myself liking more now. I do feel like Dr. Uiro is the best movie villain in the original 13 movies. His backstory is the most well written and creative compare to the other 13 movie villains and he has the best written motivation out of the other 13 movie villains. His design is pretty neat too. Funny how he is the most unpopular movie villain and yet he is the best written one out of the 13 original DBZ movie villains in my opinion. I prefer watching the movie with the Ocean voice cast since that one is more nostalgic to me. I grew up with that one on Toonami back in the day.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Also, back when I watched it on Toonami, from the way they pronounced his name I always thought it was "Dr. Willow", like the tree.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:46 pm

I first saw this Movie on the old Pioneer DVD's. It was my first introduction to the English dub. I loved it!

A few more things worth noting about this movie:

-Last time Goku fights using the Nyoi-Bo (also worth noting he uses it in creative way, not actually hitting the opponent).
-1st time Goku defeats an enemy with the Genki-Dama
-Last time we hear the Dragon Ball theme(Makafushigi Adventure) in a DBZ movie.
-

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed May 20, 2015 10:14 pm

A less than decent movie outing for me. From the dark, drab, barely visible setting of wheelo's hideout, to the highlight fight being Goku vs. Piccolo (yawn), World's Strongest never really stood out to me. What little I do like is mostly out of nostalgia from when it premiered on toonami. Kikuchi's score was decent too.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Man-Child wrote:A less than decent movie outing for me. From the dark, drab, barely visible setting of wheelo's hideout, to the highlight fight being Goku vs. Piccolo (yawn), World's Strongest never really stood out to me. What little I do like is mostly out of nostalgia from when it premiered on toonami. Kikuchi's score was decent too.
Haha were kind of opposites then. I love the setting, looks like something by H.R. Giger. The fight between Goku and Piccolo I thought was really nice fanservice. The score is actually one of the things I dislike about the movie. The wierd choir that plays throughout isn't scary or creepy or mysterious. It's trying to be, but I just never liked that sound, whatever it is. They use it a lot in the show too, didn't like it then either. When Gohan and Piccolo charge towards Wheelo the music gets all happy and upbeat. I get what they were going for in terms of mood,hopeful and triumphant, but that track was just not fitting. Also, the ending song isn't that memorable or interesting.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed May 20, 2015 11:18 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Also, the ending song isn't that memorable or interesting.
Ill give you that. As for the H.R. Giger resemblance, Wheelo's design and story were really interesting; I just wish more couldve been done with him.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 pm

I've only seen snippets of the film, but i thought the scene where Goku fighted the Bio-Warrior henchmen was really good, and did a great job building up suspense and tension. Seeing Roshi fight was also pretty cool and a refreshing change of pace (although maybe that's just nostalgia talking since that scene was in "Rock the Dragon").
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Thu May 21, 2015 1:23 am

Before BoG came out it was My favorite movie.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Thu May 21, 2015 1:42 am

Careless Saiyajin wrote:Before BoG came out it was My favorite movie.
Funny, it was mine as well :)
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:11 am

Vegitofaxx wrote:
Careless Saiyajin wrote:Before BoG came out it was My favorite movie.
Funny, it was mine as well :)
Mine too! Glad to know I'm not the only one who felt/feels this way. I just feel most people really just overlook this one more than the other films.