Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Vegitofaxx » Thu May 21, 2015 5:35 am

ABED wrote:
Statutory rapist? You know what, I know exactly who GTx10 is referring to. There's plenty of trustworthy accounts (I've personally heard first hand accounts from people I know and trust) and even video evidence of this person being incredibly gross around underage girls. Even without the statutory rape accusations, this person is an absolutely terrible human being and has a bad attitude, to the point where they have been banned from appearing in several conventions for being a douche to both staff and fans.

I don't think I should be putting this person's name explicitly here, if only because I don't want to be the immediate instigator of needless drama. But trust me, if you have seen a Funi dub or played a Dragon Ball video game in English, you know this person, and there's a truth in what GTx10 is saying.
Know this person or who this person is?
To avoid a big of-topic debate I'll tell you in PM. OK?
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
ABED wrote:
Statutory rapist? You know what, I know exactly who GTx10 is referring to. There's plenty of trustworthy accounts (I've personally heard first hand accounts from people I know and trust) and even video evidence of this person being incredibly gross around underage girls. Even without the statutory rape accusations, this person is an absolutely terrible human being and has a bad attitude, to the point where they have been banned from appearing in several conventions for being a douche to both staff and fans.

I don't think I should be putting this person's name explicitly here, if only because I don't want to be the immediate instigator of needless drama. But trust me, if you have seen a Funi dub or played a Dragon Ball video game in English, you know this person, and there's a truth in what GTx10 is saying.
Know this person or who this person is?
To avoid a big of-topic debate I'll tell you in PM. OK?
Tell me too please.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Me, too. I want to know who this person is.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Just to end these posts, the person in question is Vic Mignogna. No idea what the situation itself is, but here's not the place to discuss it.

Now can you all just make a new thread or something, and let this one go back to normal?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Okay. I think Turles is a better and more interesting character than Broly.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:05 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Okay. I think Tullece is a better and more interesting character than Broly.
Really? Is this an unpopular opinion? I think the fanbase is getting to the point where we realized Broly is/was overrated.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Just to end these posts, the person in question is Vic Mignogna. No idea what the situation itself is, but here's not the place to discuss it.

Now can you all just make a new thread or something, and let this one go back to normal?
It's for real?! How bizzare... !!
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Just to end these posts, the person in question is Vic Mignogna. No idea what the situation itself is, but here's not the place to discuss it.

I think it's fitting for someone that voices someone like Broly.
http://thetrashiestoftrash.tumblr.com/p ... l-evidence
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Thu May 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

http://thetrashiestoftrash.tumblr.com/p ... l-evidence
That entire thing is either A) situations taken out of context to paint Vic Mignogna in a negative light or B) the original writer imposing their personal beliefs upon Mignogna's actions.

His 'solid proof' is shakier than Broly playing pogo stick on thin ice.

I am 100% in agreement with Kamiccolo9, this stuff should either be dropped like a hot rock or make a thread about it but it has no place here.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Okay. I think Tullece is a better and more interesting character than Broly.
And Tullece himself is just a Raditz rehash who looks like Goku. Just goes to show what a terrible character Broly is.
Sayo-chan wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri May 22, 2015 5:32 am

MarCas92 wrote:
Really? Is this an unpopular opinion? I think the fanbase is getting to the point where we realized Broly is/was overrated.
I think we are getting to a point where the hate for Broly is overblown and exaggerated.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 am

I actually enjoy watching Broly do things, and adored the art work in his first movie and in second coming.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri May 22, 2015 9:06 am

rereboy wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:
I think we are getting to a point where the hate for Broly is overblown and exaggerated.
Whilst I think Broly is kind of lame, I find myself still agreeing with this point.

As a counterpart to Goku he's not THAT bad. As a character he's not even that bad. He's just oversaturated due to the Video games.

I'm sure this probably isn't that unpopular here on Kanzenshuu but it does seem to be everywhere else I see DBZ talk:
Power=/=good character.
If a character is ridiculously strong it doesn't necessarily translate to a well written character. Seems obvious I know. Most fanbases understand this, but the (admittedly mostly western) DBZ one seems to unironically view a character's worth on how strong they are even if they don't add anything to the story.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 am

Gohan during The Cell Games is the most out of character moment in the series. I'm sorry Gohan fanboys, but it's true. I understand Gohan not enjoying fighting, that is not the problem here. Even then I still think that point is debatable. But for the sake of argument lets pretend Gohan doesn't like fighting. If you accept that, then you have to accept the reason he fights is because he feels he has too, otherwise he would just stand there. In the Saiyan and Freeza Arc he fought his hardest every time. When he gets the warning about the Androids, he himself states he wants to fight. But he doesn't like fighting right? :problem: Why? Because it's the right thing to do. So why on Earth is he telling Cell "this fighting is pointless". The Earth is at stake and Gohan is the only one who stands a chance. GOHAN KNOWS THIS! Why is he telling Cell his father's plan? Why is he bitching and moaning? Even if he doesn't want to fight there is no other choice. The Earth is at risk of being destroyed by Cell. Does he think he can talk Cell out of it? If that's the case he isn't doing a very good job. Is he trying to scare him? I don't buy that for a second. Gohan is a smart kid, and this was a dumb, dumb moment.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 23, 2015 5:01 am

MarCas92 wrote:Gohan during The Cell Games is the most out of character moment in the series. I'm sorry Gohan fanboys, but it's true. I understand Gohan not enjoying fighting, that is not the problem here. Even then I still think that point is debatable. But for the sake of argument lets pretend Gohan doesn't like fighting. If you accept that, then you have to accept the reason he fights is because he feels he has too, otherwise he would just stand there. In the Saiyan and Freeza Arc he fought his hardest every time. When he gets the warning about the Androids, he himself states he wants to fight. But he doesn't like fighting right? :problem: Why? Because it's the right thing to do. So why on Earth is he telling Cell "this fighting is pointless". The Earth is at stake and Gohan is the only one who stands a chance. GOHAN KNOWS THIS! Why is he telling Cell his father's plan? Why is he bitching and moaning? Even if he doesn't want to fight there is no other choice. The Earth is at risk of being destroyed by Cell. Does he think he can talk Cell out of it? If that's the case he isn't doing a very good job. Is he trying to scare him? I don't buy that for a second. Gohan is a smart kid, and this was a dumb, dumb moment.
You don't need to apologize to Gohan's fans... he's my favourite character and I hated that sequence, because it was definitely out of character for him. I am fine with him not liking fighting, but it was silly seeing himself balk at things he was able to handle at an even younger age.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat May 23, 2015 5:06 am

MarCas92 wrote:Does he think he can talk Cell out of it?
I always assumed it was this.

After all Vegeta and Piccolo were redeemed, and Cell has the cells of them in him as well as Goku's. Redemption is a big thing in Z, so maybe Gohan was just wrong genre savvy, or perhaps he underestimated how evil Cell really was.

That being said; nearly every character was either out of character or holding the idiot ball during the Cell Saga.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat May 23, 2015 6:48 am

Akyon wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:Does he think he can talk Cell out of it?
I always assumed it was this.

After all Vegeta and Piccolo were redeemed, and Cell has the cells of them in him as well as Goku's. Redemption is a big thing in Z, so maybe Gohan was just wrong genre savvy, or perhaps he underestimated how evil Cell really was.

That being said; nearly every character was either out of character or holding the idiot ball during the Cell Saga.
Even that isn't exactly the problem. I would have been fine if Gohan had tried to talk Cell down and after Cell refused, Gohan fought his hardest like in previous sagas. The problem is that he hardly tries to fight before going SSJ2. He only tries to attack twice, both times with standard attacks and one of them even makes Cell fall down and bleed but he doesn't even try follow up the attack once Cell is down. And while his friends and family were being tortured, he just stood there, without attacking Cell or the Cell Jrs.

This is unlike everything he ever did before, where he never hesitated or failed to try once their friends/family were in danger and he never let the superiority of the enemy stop him (for example, Gohan versus Freeza 3rd form to save Piccolo).

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 am

I really don't fault Funimation for ANY of their decisions made in the early dubs. They were a business that had barely avoided going under a lot of times, and they had never done a proper in-house dub before, combined with pressures to get off the ground quickly.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Thu May 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Although the Japanese dub has better voice acting and music, Funimation's style of dubbing and music is one of the major reasons it became so popular in the United States. The Japanese music for example may have actually turned off American viewers, especially in the late 90s/early 00s (the Korn, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, etc. etc. era). "Cha La Head Cha La" would have probably weirded out 10 year olds in 1999 America, but "Rock the Dragon" got us pumped.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 pm

I dunno. I mean as a kid I was more bothered about the actual content rather than the music or openings, main reason I didn't notice FUNI changing from Ocean and then seemingly back to Ocean again in the UK.
Sabat also said himself no matter what they did DBZ would have always been popular and I agree with him based on my own experience.

No one would complain about Japanese music if that's what they got from the start like no one would complain that DBZ is in only 4:3 if FUNI didn't crop the Orange Bricks.